Best way to remove the block? What piston size?

StaceyS3

Reaction score
After having a spark plug and head fail have stripped the engine do it is at the point with the head, turbo, sump, pistons and rods removed, have already got a largeport head and rods winging its way to me at some point curtasy of Bill. But measured the pistons yesterday and the worst one measured 80.88 across the skirt and the spec on elsa states 80.95 nominal size with 0.04 tolerance for wear.

So am looking at a new set of pistons and might as well rebore it as although the bores were within spec but they are worn so think it would make sense to make it as new and fresh as possible while its in bits

I'm unsure what size pistons to go for obviously might as well go to the biggest within reason? Am looking at possibly 83mm but am unsure if you get any issues with going that large as it needs to be as reliable as possible as its also my daily driver?

And last but not least opinions on best way to remove the block would be appriciated as elsa says to drop it out of the bottom but i had to drop the subframe to get the box off when i done the clutch which was an a**e but nothing is mentioned on there that you have to do this, or the only other method that i have heard of is to take the rads and cross member out and take the engine out of the front?

The only other thing is i have access to a hoist and plenty of tools but i am doing this on stands outside my flat although its in a fairly good area and tucked away i have to have it fairly secure and have been putting most of the bits in the back of the car, although can get bits dumped in mates sheds temporally.

Any advice would be much appriciated

Cheers

82.5mm pistons is a safe maximum on a road car... take the engine out through the front....

<tuffty/>

As tufty says take the front end off to get the lump out.

brokes3001.jpg

82.5mm to use std head gasket
83mm will need to use a different gasket

JE's are available in reasonsable package ££ currently

No chance mate still waiting on bits that were suppose to arrive quite some time ago and hadn't originally planned on completely removing the block but s**t happens lol

Already looking forward to the next trip as will definately be driving on that one ;)