Best way to play music from phone

mike-y90

Reaction score
Hi, I have an A3 2006. It has the single din OEM cd player in it. No MFSW or Bluetooth fitted.

I will eventually purchase the RNS-E but after reading up if I want bluetooth to work I need to purchase a bluetooth kit for the car?

It has a cradle installed but its does not fit my iphone4.

I dont really care for being able to use bluetooth to call people etc it is mainly for playing back music in my car from my phone.

What would be the cheapest and easiest option? Installing Bluetooth kit, installing aux, installing different cradle etc? bearing in mind they will need to work when the RNS-E unit when I purchase it and yes I will be doing the single to double din conversion so it fits.

Thanks you helpful people!

The best option i think is getting 'Aux/USB' interface adapters from Xcarlink or Dension which would be about £40-£100 depending on the model and whether you could find any used ones in the classified section or on eBay.

I think as you are gonna go ahead with RNSE in near future its best to get a used interface adapters from eBay, i got one for less then £10 delivered its was a connects2 auxiliary adapter. (They normally are £29 Buy-It-Now).

Id say Aux install, me and amit87 installed in his car along with other things, £20 mod, ill be doing that next, although he had rns-e so not sure if install is different from single din, wouldnt have thought so

Playing music via the A2DP is never that good, from my experience. I have used a few set-ups with A2DP and never found it that good. Your best of hard wiring your phone into the head unit for better sound quality.

I would go for a cheap Dension with Aux or the Dension with iPod/iPhone connection (more expensive) for the time being and then save for the RNS-E and OEM Bluetooth unit. The RNS-E has x2 SD Card slots which is what I use for music, they great but limited to the size of SD card and amount of songs on them but still plenty.

Playing music via the A2DP is never that good, from my experience. I have used a few set-ups with A2DP and never found it that good. Your best of hard wiring your phone into the head unit for better sound quality.

I would go for a cheap Dension with Aux or the Dension with iPod/iPhone connection (more expensive) for the time being and then save for the RNS-E and OEM Bluetooth unit. The RNS-E has x2 SD Card slots which is what I use for music, they great but limited to the size of SD card and amount of songs on them but still plenty.

Small warning as well, I 'believe' the Dension units plug into the CDC (CD Changer) plug on the head unit, so you will not be able to use a CD Changer and the Dension. Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Thanks guys, just a quick one. If I purchase an adapters and remove the unit and install it in the back what button would I have to press to activate the aux? Will I still be able to use all the head unit features such as radio and cd? Or do you have to unplug something? Do all the units already have a connection for you to fit extra stuff like this in without interfering with other features then

Depends on what unit you currently have installed, I believe you would have to press the CD button OR Media button.You will still be able to use the Radio, in-built cd player, etc these will not be affected, only the option for an external cd changer. Your unit should have the connection already, you should have standard ISO connection which will have a Block C which is generally for external devices (Bluetooth, cd changer, dension gateway, etc) We really need to know what year your car is and what head unit you currently have installed!

Depends on what unit you currently have installed, I believe you would have to press the CD button OR Media button.You will still be able to use the Radio, in-built cd player, etc these will not be affected, only the option for an external cd changer. Your unit should have the connection already, you should have standard ISO connection which will have a Block C which is generally for external devices (Bluetooth, cd changer, dension gateway, etc) We really need to know what year your car is and what head unit you currently have installed!

I said in the opening post lol, it's 2006 and its the single din unit. It does not have a cd changer though so I guess either it will work great and not interfer with anything or the connection wont be there for it at all?

Where do you run the cable out to from the back of the unit to connect to your iphone etc?

I have had a look at Densions. Which one would you guys recommend. I want to be able to charge my phone and use an aux cable. I wont need a cradle iphone holder or anything. I'm hoping I can have the charging cable and aux cable come up through the section near the handbrake by making a small hole. What one is cheapest for this? The descriptions seem to suck and say (FM) but also says its hard wired and don't want to end up buying some sort of FM transmitter. I have single din concert II

Mike what did you go for in the end? I've got a Symphony II with Audi Bluetooth and cullmann cradle. Can I still use a Densions or Connects2 or is the connector already used by the Bluetooth?
Also does anyone know if by using the usb facility on the Dension it will both charge and play music without needing the aux-in? I normally stream the music to my phone over the Internet from Google Music and Tune In radio, so I'm sure I'll need the Aux-in too.
Cheers