Best way to clean engine bay?

a3 1.8t

Reaction score
Website
www.jalnablast.co.uk
With the thread of all the lovely engine bays i think its time i gave mine a bit of a clean to say the least... I keep the rest of the car mint but the closest the engine bay gets is the wing edges and around top of the lights leatherd off when its washed. When i take the audi engine cover off (its a 1.8t) theres a bit of well like dryed oily dirt pretty normal stuff really around all the coil packs ect. Whats the best way to clean the engine with out obviously damaging anything? Anyone got any ideas?

Regards Tom

Thanks will have a read thorugh the guide, was told steam cleaning is a definate no no as the steam gets into all the components and connections...

As tufty's link above. I used Autoglum Engine & Machine Cleaner applied with an old paint-brush, rinsed with low-pressure hose and then followed this up with Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care applied whilst the engine was still wet. Once done you just need to keep on top of it to maintain it. When I jump-started a work colleague's car he couldn't believe the car was 8 years old when I popped the bonnet!

As tufty's link above. I used Autoglum Engine & Machine Cleaner applied with an old paint-brush, rinsed with low-pressure hose and then followed this up with Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care applied whilst the engine was still wet. Once done you just need to keep on top of it to maintain it. When I jump-started a work colleague's car he couldn't believe the car was 8 years old when I popped the bonnet!

I didn't think doctors have the time to spend cleaning engine bays with the 100s of hours you guys work.

Reactions: deeman88
Ha ha, I'm not that sort of Doctor!! But I do seem to work 100s of hours nonetheless. Engine-bay-cleaning keeps me sane. I have a PhD in OCD...

Reactions: ruffrida