Best Tyres?

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hello All!

I have Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres all round on my S line and the front 2 have between 3-4mm of tread left.
Now I dont know if I should wait a wee bit longer to replace them, or just bite the bullet and get some now?

What tyres do people recommend on their B8? Or should I stick with the Michelins?

Thanks

Last edited:
Conti Sport 3's are very good on mine.

I would stick with the Michelin. Nothing wrong with them. 25% off at Costco just now too. Unless your wanting cheaper tyres, in which case Vredestein are VERY good.

Whats costco?
I got a 25% off voucher from National Tyres so might give them a call.
I did fancy replacing the alloys with the Dynamik ones so dont know if I should just bite the bullet and buy a new set of them with tyres and then sell mine.

I will look them up then. Ive just noticed that the laquer has started to peel on one of my alloys as well (They look mint apart from that!) so I might just have to look at replacing them! Now where can I get a deal on Dynamik alloys and tyres from...........?

Would help stating the size?

I had Goodyear eagle f1s (255/35/19) and they only lasted 12k on 90% motorway driving.

Changed all 4 to Michelin PS2s and a year and a half later and 25k they are still showing 5mm on each corner.

£1k a set though but worth the extra money for distance and miles.

Will be using Michelin again.

You could get your alloys refurbed.

A3 has Bridgestone on the front and Uniroyal rain sport on the rear. Once the fronts wear down I'll be changing them all for Michelin as I do ~40k a year in it. 225/45/17.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Would help stating the size?

I had Goodyear eagle f1s (255/35/19) and they only lasted 12k on 90% motorway driving.

Changed all 4 to Michelin PS2s and a year and a half later and 25k they are still showing 5mm on each corner.

£1k a set though but worth the extra money for distance and miles.

Will be using Michelin again.
Thats good to know about the Michelins!!! I have Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on at the minute.
Wheels are 245/40/R18's with the standard S line alloys. I'm not a great fan of them so wouldnt mind replacing them.

Keep the Michelins definitely!

They may cost a bit more but definitely worth the price due to the 'longness' ;)

Thats good to know about the Michelins!!! I have Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on at the minute.
Wheels are 245/40/R18's with the standard S line alloys. I'm not a great fan of them so wouldnt mind replacing them.

I'd be interested in buying your alloys to use on my S4 as winters, let me know if and when you'd be looking to sell

Whats costco?
I got a 25% off voucher from National Tyres so might give them a call.
I did fancy replacing the alloys with the Dynamik ones so dont know if I should just bite the bullet and buy a new set of them with tyres and then sell mine.

25% discount? so that means still at least 50% more expensive than anywhere else!!! tyretraders and lovetyres have always been the cheapest for me, and delivery is quick

I got £400 off the Michelins from KwikFit - I was going to walk away but the guy honoured MY price after telling him his price was too much ;)

And some people (normally company vehicles) just pay whatever the garage wants.They would have been quite happy to take that extra 400 quid.Stay away from the sheds and use the independants.Even better, buy online and bung the fitters a drink

If you want to keep the cost down a bit but still want a good performing tyre then Hankook V12 Evo's are excellent. Great wet and dry grip. I can't really comment on how long they will last though but they are far better than Pirelli P Zero Rosso's which are currently on the front of my B8 and i'm not immpressed at all considering they are a premium tyre.

Think I might just stick with Michelin Pilot Sport 3's as that's what is on the rear and what Audi recommend. Plus I hear they can be good for 30k miles! They are £197 EACH fitted though! :wacko:

If you want to keep the cost down a bit but still want a good performing tyre then Hankook V12 Evo's are excellent. Great wet and dry grip. I can't really comment on how long they will last though but they are far better than Pirelli P Zero Rosso's which are currently on the front of my B8 and i'm not immpressed at all considering they are a premium tyre.

What's wrong with the pzero rossos? I have them on mine.

I've currently got Pirelli P-zeros on mine, but when they're needing replaced I'm going to go for the Vredestein ultrac sessanta's and order them up from camskill

What's wrong with the pzero rossos? I have them on mine.

I just think grip is poor in the wet and the dry, my A4 slides and spins the wheels too easily. I also had p zero run flats which came on a set of wheels I bought and wasn't immpessed with them either. I had them immediately after my Hankooks and noticed the difference between the two. I've got F1's on the rear which I'm going to swap onto the front, they should give me the grip I'm after. When my tyres wear down I'll more than likely replace them with Hankooks.

I just think grip is poor in the wet and the dry, my A4 slides and spins the wheels too easily. I also had p zero run flats which came on a set of wheels I bought and wasn't immpessed with them either. I had them immediately after my Hankooks and noticed the difference between the two. I've got F1's on the rear which I'm going to swap onto the front, they should give me the grip I'm after. When my tyres wear down I'll more than likely replace them with Hankooks.

Mine are 255 cross section and grip seems ok. I actually prefer a little less grip as I can get the car to play a little around corners. During the snow last year they were not not too bad.

Next ill probably give the new Goodyear asymmetric 2s a try. They seem to have good reviews

Mine are 255 cross section and grip seems ok. I actually prefer a little less grip as I can get the car to play a little around corners. During the snow last year they were not not too bad.

Next ill probably give the new Goodyear asymmetric 2s a try. They seem to have good reviews

I've got those on the rears so gonna swap them to the front then maybe I will have a little bit of movement on the rear with the Pirelli's.

It's just my personal opinion most people probably find them good enough for the job.

Hankooks....you got a death wish??

Hankooks....you got a death wish??

Have you tried them recently?

Hankook have really upped their game in the last couple of years and are now considered a premium tyre. Like i said before i had a set and thought they were superb, better than recent Pirelli's that i've had! I'm not saying they are the best tyres out there but for the money they make a great buy IMO. I've noticed alot of the B8 owners on Audizine seem to use them aswell. I also remember reading a bit in a magazine a couple of years ago about 5 tuned mk5 Golf GTi's, the tester said the car that had Hankook tyres on it had excellent grip which gave it a fantastic time around the track!

I've only had experience with the v12 evo which I'd still definitely buy again. As it says in the test though a lot of the differences are marginal. Maybe the different tyres on different cars/wheels has something to do with the experiences I've had?

Ive got Pirelli winter tyres and find them fantastic but I've never had winter tyres before so nothing to compare them to.

I guess that its a personal thing.I would NEVER drive on Dunlops for example.But some people would.Trouble is its a big layout for a full set, and once theyre on you cant take them back.Not like argos or marks.Ive bought a set of conti sport contact 3 as i rated the sc2.They were shyte so took a loss on ebay.Same with a pair of goodyear assymwtrics.Great grip but like riding on jelly.Its impossible to find a tyre with great grip and a stiff side wall.I have a pair of bridgestone s001 on the rear (stiff sidewall but not brill in the wet) and conti sc5p on the front (amazing grip soft sidewall).Id rather lose the rear than the front.All are shyte in the snow!!!

ive just gone goodyear asymetrical 2... and all i can say is the Conti Sport Contact 5 (replacement for the conti sport contact 3) and Michellin Pilot 2/3 don't have any fly's on these babies... oh yeh. No major wear so far.