Best Tyres for a Quattro

Jonathan Carling

Reaction score
Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to replace the rear tyres on my A3 at the weekend although I'm tempted to replace all four as the front ones aren't far behind in condition. Currently got Continentals on which were on when I bought it last year. I don't do a lot of miles anymore so happy to go with a softer set.

My current tyres are: 225/40/R18

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Jonny

Mitch Pilot Super Sport
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy2 or 3 is out too now
Dunlop Sport Maxx
Vred Ultra Vorti (soft sidewall)

Any of the big manufacturers will sell you good tyres but they're probably the ones to choose from.

Check out tyre reviews.co.uk too :)

Michelin Pilot Sport 3, or the new Pilot Sport 4 (better grip a little more green than the 3)
Goodyear F1's people rave about them a little, never had a set so cannot say much on them
Continental Contact Sport 5 or whatever they are up to isn't a bad tyre, just a bit naff when compared to a Pilot Sport.

Doesn't really matter specific to quattro to non quattro; just depends on your budget; if you want to go all out, Pilot Super Sport that a friend runs on his M3 is a lovely tyre!

Edit: HAHA someone beat me right to it

Pilot 3 where excellent on my R32. When my S3 needs new ones I am buying them again.

Loads of grip and lasted about 13k miles

I've got Continental Contact Sport 5 on my quattro and I've tried my best to make them lose traction in the wet lol and I have to say they have an incredible amount of grip. Around £81 a corner on camskill so if I was changing mine I'd probably purchase the same again

I have Michelin Pilot Sport 3 but I think I'll get sport 4 next year when they need replaced. Have them on my quattro A3. Have been tempted with the uni royal rainlife 3 as I can get them cheap from my local garage.

Eagle F1's all day long, great in the wet, excellent in the dry and have a built in kerb protector.

Goodyear for me. Had a blow out on Saturday and found out that the F1 AS 2's can no longer be got, unless you find them in stock somewhere.
No sign of AS 3's yet, so had to use an Efficient Grip. Looks identical to AS 2 but slightly more rounded.

If you are happy with a slightly softer tyre I would recommend Dunlop Sportmaxx I fitted them to my S4 and really like them, very quiet and very grippy.

As a new owner to a quattro with Michelin PS3s, they feel very secure, but they are hellish noisy on our coarse chip sealed roads.
A previous mkV Golf GTI on Goodyear Eagle AS2s I didn't notice the noise to the same extent, and they felt very secure in all conditions.
That would probably steer me back to the Goodyears next time.

If you are happy with a slightly softer tyre I would recommend Dunlop Sportmaxx I fitted them to my S4 and really like them, very quiet and very grippy.

The sportmaxx is a stiffer version of the tyre that is effectively the Eagle F1 Asy2 so that Goodyear one is the one to go for.

So basically it's between Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy2 (3 is out now) or Mitch Pilot Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4 which is shaping up to be a great tyre :)

Thanks for all the responses guys!

My mate who's garage I'm ordering the tyres from is recommending Nexens but they look cheap as?

I'm tempted to go for either the Michelin Pilot Sport or Eagle F1 as they seem to be the most possible.

Please don't go for Nexens, that's just poor advice! Spend as much as you can afford on your tyres as they could save you in the long run. My vote goes to Mich pilot super sports.

Reactions: SootySport
Nexens :crying: on your Audi? I would put them on a cheap 20 year old Fiesta or Corsa runabout, but not on an A3 Quattro.

Reactions: Sherv
Thanks for all the responses guys!

My mate who's garage I'm ordering the tyres from is recommending Nexens but they look cheap as?

I'm tempted to go for either the Michelin Pilot Sport or Eagle F1 as they seem to be the most possible.

You need a new mate.

My vote is for Eagle F1 since I have them, however, I've no doubts about the ability of the Mich PS either :)

If you do go for Eagle F1 don't forget version 3 is available in our size. If someone tries to sell you version 2 to clear stock then you deserve a discount from the normal price!

Reactions: desertstorm
New tyres fitted as of yesterday - went for two Eagle F1 Asy3 in the end for £186, fitted. Really happy with them.

Just need to save up for another two now...
That's what I run on my S3 best tyres Iv had very very good in the wet I had pilot sport 3 before they were good but only lasted 7 month

Just as a matter of interest, I priced a new Michelin Pilot Sport 3 in 225/45/17 today and pleasantly surprised at NZ$250 = 113 pounds - how does that compare to UK price.
Goodyear Eagle F1 *** 3 was $6 dearer.
EJ

That's what I run on my S3 best tyres Iv had very very good in the wet I had pilot sport 3 before they were good but only lasted 7 month

How do we know the new Goodyear Asy3 won't last you 7 months too as they've only just come out .

Spirited driving I guess .

Just as a matter of interest, I priced a new Michelin Pilot Sport 3 in 225/45/17 today and pleasantly surprised at NZ$250 = 113 pounds - how does that compare to UK price.
Goodyear Eagle F1 *** 3 was $6 dearer.
EJ
There was about £35.00 of a difference, with the Goodyears cheapest at £76.00 a corner.
That price was for the AS 2's vs the PS 2's. Where you get them will make a difference as well, Goodyear agent or Michelin agent, but there is no way I would spend the extra, the Michelins are better according to some members, just not £35.00 better.
My son is a manager in the tyre trade by the way.
Goodyear has never let me down and performs well, so I'll probably apply the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule and stick with them.