best tyre option opinions 225/40/18??

campbell

Reaction score
i know this subject may be done to death (and i have used the search button!) but what is a very good all round tyre, looks, durability, grip in wet and dry?

i have the dunlop SP9000 on at moment and there a good tyre so fancy a change

opinions please, thanks

Try finding a tyre shop that will hold part worns for you.

I was paying £140 a tyre for decent tyres! spoke to a bloke at kwikfit and so far hes fitted all four tyres for 130 quid! all with good tread left.

Worth a thought.

Toyo Proxes or Goodyear Eagle F1's.

Both excellent all round tyres.

Doeboy- can you explain what you said? just wondered if that idea is so cheap to do why is everyone not doing it?

yes i have used the search button but there is loads of crap to be honest, just wanted peoples opinions.

inigoj- have you ever had dunlop SP9000 because thats whats on mine at the moment and how do they compare to the proxes and eagle F1s?

The Toyo T1Rs are the ones to go for in my opinion.
On my s3, with billies / hRs, 310+hp, and to be honest you can hardly unstick them, evene in the wet you have to really abuse them to getthem unstuck.

Eagle F1's or Pilot Sport 2's

Had both and they are very similar, if you want looks aswell go for the Eagles if not either!

I have to say I have been a goodyear F1 fan for years too, using them on my mk4, but on the S3, the Totos are noticeable better. Quieter on road noise and a stiffer sidewall suits the chassis I have.

I went off F1s after they started importing the rubbish chinese or taiwainese ones and marketting them as the Jap/ UK ones! One set I had on mk4 were so bad I took them off after 3k miles and they were 3/4 worn!

i had dunlop SP9000's on an the rear blew out on me! right hander inside passenger wheel just split 3/4 round on the inside an threw me off the road! 4K bill for relativly very minor repairs an loads of hassle! dunlop werent interested as i chased it up, they were relativly worn but never at that stage! she is lowered an has camber at the back that may exsplain things but there was no visible damage just a split!
had to replace my alloys as 2 of them got buckled.... back to Toyo T1-s again as have always been happy with them! my mate claims T1-R's are longer living but just as good, i've never had them

campbell said:
yes i have used the search button but there is loads of crap to be honest, just wanted peoples opinions.

Everytime one of these threads on tyres you get alot of crap, which is basically peoples opinions. Most people haven't tried a varied selection of tyres of their S3 so you're going to get the same old story - Goodyear Eagle F1's are what most people seem happy with.

It all depends on what you want from the tyre. The F1's are a good alrounder, as are Potenza S03's, and Pilot Sport 2s, and most of the other main brand tyres (SP9000's, T1Rs, etc). To be honest, I've tried most and they're all pretty much the same. If you want pure grip, go for Parada Spec 2's. If you want mental grip, R888s.

goodyear F1s seam to be popular but i dont want them to wear too quick ! just want decent grip (not to much) and to last

thanks for all your opinions

have tried many tyres over the years.. but as said these are my opinions...

Michelin Pilot Sport - Awesome but last about 4k under hard abuse
Continental - Simply awesome but very pricey..
Goodyear Eagle F1 - Never really been a massive fan of these myself find them slow to warm and not that grippy...
TOYO - t1 Grippy a good semi budget performance tyre dont last particularly long though.. R888.. sticks you to the floor properly
Yokos - Grip well in the dry.. rubbish in the wet....wear quickly

hope thats of some use.. theyre my opinions based on use on subaru impreza.. golf r32..mitsubishi evo...audi s3

another vote for the Michelins here, i had eagle F1's on my peugeot as everyone was raving about them, (people with cars of all show an no go). Road noise was nasty, made worse by the pug build quality, grip was average and in the rain they were rubbish, by the end i was getting quite good at judging the aqua plaining. Just as well for the FMIC and upped boost going through the fronts as they didnt last too long. Changed to a set of Michelin Exalto 2's and they were a differnt league, granted they are no r888 or A048 but they last a hell of a lot longer.

The Dunlop SP's seem very similar to the Continental Sport's, they are both good tyres and last well, but produce a lot of road noise.

i need 2 new tyres for the front on my A4. Looking at the comments, i really cant decide which to go for.

I want something with good grip, but i want a long-lasting tyre moreso!!!

Any ideas folks.

Thanks

I've had Pirelli PZero Nero (235/30x20) for two sesons now and i mean a better tyre is hard to find. Exelent on wet and dry.

Maybe not the cheepest and not the tyre who last the longest but a realy good drivingexpirience.

The Dunlops are terrible, anything you fit will be better.
As for "good grip & long lasting" - these are mutually exclusive qualities i.e. you can't have both.
The Dunlops last forever which tells you they won't grip in any conditions.
F1's are probably the best compromise if you do alot of miles, they grip well in wet or dry and last reasonably well at around 12k miles. There are grippier tyres but then you're in single digits regarding wear.

i'm coming up to replacing mine i'm going for yoko parada spec 2 i've found the for £93 fitted a corner, my tyres wanted £107 tyre only!

sitrials said:
i'm coming up to replacing mine i'm going for yoko parada spec 2 i've found the for £93 fitted a corner, my tyres wanted £107 tyre only!

Where did you get that deal sitrials if you don't mind me asking?

A tyre to consider is the Falken FK452. They are falkend top of the range tyre. i had some fitted to my car today (also on 18's) for £300 all in. Cant really complain with £75 a tyre.
They are very predictable tyres and so far i seem to be really getting along with them, Its been pouring with rain here and im very impressed with the grip they offer in the wet. Once this sodding weather improves ill see what they can do in the dry:icon_thumright:

frenchman said:
A tyre to consider is the Falken FK452. They are falkend top of the range tyre.

another vote for the falkens here!

i had a set of fk452's fitted to the front in place of my pilot sport 2's about 6 months back, and im REALLY impressed! grip levels seem easily up there with the mich's, and the turn in feels a lot sharper with the falkens. also, 10k in in the front tyres and they still have about 5mm tread left.... despite many throttle happy moments sinse the remap.

my old man covers around 50k a year, and has been through just about every top end tyre going on his modded A4 avant, and hes just had his second set of fk452's put on. been through all the top brands, yoko, goodyear, michelin, toyo, and ended up going for the falkens a second time.

its a great all round tyre, as frenchie said, very predictable traction, pretty good in the wet, very sharp turn in in the dry, and seem to wear far better than the michelins.

check them out, its a seriously under rated tyre!