Best tryes for 2004 Audi S4 (235/40)

Simon S4

Reaction score
the front tyres of my S4 need replacing soon and I struggle to decide between Michelin Pilot Sports, Goodyear Eagles and Pirelli's? In terms of overall performance, ride and longevity what is the best compromise? ANy expereince with these tyres?

Thanks

Simon:s4addict:

Round rubber ones would be best IMO lol

From experience i would go with goodyears. Ran them for years on my Leon cupra r and found them to perform better and last long than the Pirelli's it came with.

Currently got Bridgestones on our avant and they aren't bad but cost more than the goodyears so will prob go back to them next time.

Hope that helps?

Goodyears too soft, too expensive and they dont last five minutes.

You want Vredestein ultra sessantas!

would have never thought that vredestain would be that good - interesting. My initial preference would have been the michelins but will definetely consider the sessantas. thanks guys

I have Pilot Sport 3's on mine and i am very pleased with them.

I'm running Goodyear Eagle F1 Assemtrics and I find they are very good in the wet. I got them at a great price so they were a no brainer. Here is a link to the Auto Express 2010 tyre test think the Goodyears came in 3rd.

I have the same, been running 2 on the front for quite some time and got 14k out of them, still quite a bit of tread left but had to buy more as I had a nail through one! So now have 4 new ones all round.

I used to have Conti Contactsport 2's which I loved but they don't last no where near as long.

I went from Michelin PS2's to Vredesteins and if anything they are slightly better than the Michelins, for about half the price.

No one has mentioned the Dunlop Sport Maxx TT's. Does anyone rate them? I think they are very grippy but i have only got 9000 miles out of them. Its worth mentioning they are all i have ever known.

What should you expect to get out of the Vredestein ultra sessantas?

I have sport maxx not sure if they're TT but rate them. Cheap too. I've done 7000 on them so far and they look less than 50% worn.

Had verdestines on my 2.5tqs some years ago, albeit ultratrac and was quite pleasantly surprised. Decided to stick with a premium name this time though.

Chris

I find the problem now though is that because vredesteins are becoming well known and selling better they are putting the price up on a daily basis, the price is starting to catch up with the more expensive brands now.

Soon vredesteins wont be a cheap alternative, and i will switch back to continetal sport contact 2/3s

I have used Avon ZZ3's on my A4 and find them brilliant. Also used Kumho Ecsta on the wifes A3 sportback, another tyre that is good but going up in price daily due to the popularity.

I have sport maxx not sure if they're TT but rate them. Cheap too. I've done 7000 on them so far and they look less than 50% worn.
Chris

Where can you get them cheap. 6 months ago they were £130 a corner but now they are £150. Looks like i need to take a look at my driving style!

i ran goodyear eagle f1's on my previous car (Mk3 GTI) for most of its life, over 10 years.

any tyre wont last a dime if you rag it in and out of corners and take off from the lights like a jet fighter.

the f1's ran for around 25,000 miles (rotated at least once) and the grip in damp, wet and monsoon conditions was amazing, dry grip was as good as any other tyre.

bridgestones i hated, no grip in the dry

dunlops ok, not the best in the wet but still ok

pirellis were hard and therefore not very grippy when pushed, still a good choice.

never used any other tyre on any of my cars...

... my a4 due a pair of 235/40 18" boots and im most likely going to get the f1's. ive seen them somewhere for £149ea valve and fitted, hi-q sell them at £155 at the moment, a few blaggers reckon they can get them for a ton each, but im still waiting.