best trouble free raplacement engine for a3

david bradbury

Reaction score
I have a A3 "2005 8P 2.0 tdi bkd engine code on auto box. I have hummed and houghed I intend to replace engine with same BUT I have read so many horror stories ie oil pump head crack amongsted other probs Can any one advice me what year of engine model anything that might prevent these problems. My audi has B coded head and I am not sure about pump. Any recomendations would be great help many thanks

BKD in A3 does not have oil pump issue. Revision B head is not as bad as revision A, but revision C would be better. Other than that and chocolate turbos, these engines are fine. Why would you replace engine? Do you have any issues?

PS: The younger the engine, the less faults it has.

I got the car from my son who can pick faults in a tomato there is a waterleak somewhere misfire vagcom throws up numerous engine faults Maybe I am being picky I also own Sharan with 1.9tdi its very smooth but should be just spent about £1500 on it turbo egr cluth etc etc Hope wife doesnt read this.Is the 2.0 a noisy engine I thought by the time i replace maybe injectors wiring harness and maybe the turbo I would be better looking for low mileage complete engine must admit I love the car auto side is great I do not want any more power I think the 140 is plenty. Thanks for info very greatful I do intend to keep it just have to convince the wife here Honda Civic ex is a a bucket well its no bad really Kind regards Appreciate any info at all Dave

Sorry meant to add no sign of oil in water Ihave not really got into it hope to get into my car port this week for deeper investigation Would a compression test be able to say if the head is like if so I better buy one. As i said any advice is appreciated regards Dave

I replaced cylinder head on mine a while ago with a rev C head and I had no oil in water or water in oil at all. My coolant line cracked just next to a valve seat so car was burning water. Small puff of white smoke in the morning discovered it and car ran like a tractor prior to cylinder head replacement.

You can do a head compression test, take the head off and do it in a local garage which has the equipment. As for the injectors, you can read fueling correction using any diagnostic software and if numbers are very far apart from each other there might be a faulty injector.

You can try putting error codes here and we might be able to help a bit.

I hope you can read this info hope its readable I am new at vag com so please bare with me the only thing I did in past is reset mileage and well flounder threw looking trying to investigate things it is a genuine vag com thanks again

Attachments

• audi 001.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 65
Great I forgot to add there is a AGR delete kit fitted no engine light warning on dash you have cheered me up no end I will just have to find this water leak If its okay can I contact you later on my outcome but any checks on vag com would be appreciated I can not thank you enough regards Dave

No problem, glad I could help. I wouldn't rush into buying a new head by the way, I would check the easier things first: head gasket and small radiator inside the cabin are possible culprits when coolant is disappearing.

Do your windows mist (fog)? Can you see any coolant around the edges of head gasket?

When I changed the head, I also changed valves, lifters and camshafts. Getting a new head with old parts inside didn't sound very good to me at the time.

How much coolant does the car use? Is it worse when you're taking long journeys? Mine used to go from max to min mark in about 400-500 miles when driving constantly on the highway through Europe.

I got excited and went out to driveway started car and after about 1hour of swisting lying under car javked up saw water dripping from somewhere near rear passenger side never seen this before as its parked on drive which is gravel cant see exactly where but when get in car port get better idea on ramps hope its something simple but knowing my luck it never is.You mentioned not to worry about oil pump why is this its just i have read so many bad reports. Once again many thanks dave

Longitudinally mounted 2.0 TDI engines have oil pump issues due to different design. In A3 it is transversely mounted engine so no worries.

well thats i worry less thank god regards its just that i love the car and it drives great usually regards

sorry to bug you again could not be in suspense any longer but i think i found water leak to passenger side of engine there is something that looks like thermostat housing with sensor in dripping water worse as engine heats up i think this may be the problem have you heard of this before may be water problem regards dave

no taste at all dont think its had coolant in i will let you get on sorry to take up your time will get more done next week and keep you posted many thanks once again dave

Your BKD engine is one of the best Diesel engines like the old 1.9PD engines before it, they do sound a bit tractorish, that's normal.
Don't go and change the head until you've tried all the less expensive options like the thermostat housing. By what you have said it's the most likely.
Just don't confuse the dripping water with the a/c drain tubes, which also drip water when the a/c is on.

the water in the system is clear i have some old antifreeze i can check strong pink stuff as i can see where it drips from think that may define system water or air cone regards

My car leaves puddles in this weather but its just ice melting on the AC condenser so bear that in mind....