Best short Shift?

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hey guys, I know a few of you have got short shifts put on and I was just wondering if someone could give me some feed back on any short shift they've tried. I've seen how a Neuspeed Short Shift Kit for the Golf Mk4 (V6 4motion) changes the throw of the car in between gear changes, and the car shifts a lot smoother. This is why I'm thinking of getting the neuspeed short shift and also because it fits on the TT/S3 as well. Here's a pic of how it looks, and help would be much appreciated.

660287.jpg

I have the Neuspeed Short Shift and I really like it!

Will a short shift make the gearchange more positive as well as reduce the throw? My A3 change feels a little plasticy and poor. I can pretty much forget about quick changes from 1-2 too.

How much was your Neuspeed one Imola if you don't mind me asking?

Who are B&M one of the biggest names in the business.

There short shist replaces the whole shifter not just one part. On the A4 u can decide how much you want to shorten the shift.

Demon tweeks and the like sell them.

Cheers

i got my neuspeed from awesome, replaces the the shifter, shortens the height of the shifter by about an inch and brings the shifter linkages so it shortens the movement too, i really like it, still has the oem gear nob and gater

i get a slight notch between first and second where the reverse is, but that is all i noticed otherwise it quickens shift dramatically from stock

B&M make billet ones, no experience with them but they have good reputation C&R or TSR sell them from flicking through their brochures a long time back.

I have the B&M shifter with the TT linkage on my TQ and while the TT linkage shortened the front to back, it didn't affect the side-to-side throw. The B&M Shortened shifting quite a bit in all directions. The B&M DID make shift feel a bit "Heavier" and I've read that some people don't like it, but I do. It's hard for me to explain, but before, shifting was like, Gear-pause-N-pause-Gear. With the TT linkage it was Gear-N-Gear and now with the B&M it's more like Gear-Gear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck making sense of that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[quote}
There short shist replaces the whole shifter not just one part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Short shist hehe, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif. lol, you guys decided to take your time in replying, or have I just been slow? Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'm going for the nuespeed one as I already know how to fit it and know the benefits, but does anyone have a website for B&M? Cheers

Sure thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.bmracing.com/

My TQ needed the 45114 (Shown below) and it says it fits 5 and 6 speed transmissions. The PROBLEM is in fitting the damned thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif To get underneath, Oettinger (Who fitted mine) had to unbolt the center support of the driveshaft /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Everything went OK, I just wouldn't recommend the "Hobbyist" do it themself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

108_full.jpg

Hope it helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

lol cheers Drill, so would it make sense to have a neuspeed short shift in combination with a B&M one?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif(can't get enough of this froggie, I just luv 'em)

Well dude, if I were you I'd get / fit the Neuspeed linkage. Then see how you like it. If it's still not short enough, THEN look into a lever replacement (Like the B&M).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[ QUOTE ]
yeah dude, I think that sounds best to tell you the truth. Hey does B&M do a replacement lever for the S3?

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't specify the S3 but I'm 98% sure the S uses the same lever as the A3 and since they mention that the 45114 works for 5 & 6 speed A3's I'm pretty sure you'll need that one.

Did I mention that the driveshaft center support needs to come out so the driveshaft drops enough to get around it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif That was one of the reason's I had Oettinger fit mine for me. But other than that, it didn't look too bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I would just go for the B & M instead of buying the neuspeed link and risking not liking it and then buying the B & M one anyway.

Cheers

I don't know dude. I've seen posts from more people with just the linkage. Not too many of us have gone down the B&M route. And also, the Neuspeed linkage is easily installed whereas I needed Oettinger to finally get mine on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif and the linkage would shorten the shift (Which is the desired effect). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
As I said, I went for the TT linkage so am not sure how much the Neuspeed part is (Although Neuspeed is never cheap) but I DO know that the B&M cost me right around $200 which I had thought was a bit pricey.

Maybe we can get some input from those with the Neuspeed or DieselGeek linkages?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Oh, and I have some pics of my B&M @ home. So this should give me the motivation required to finally post them up sometime this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

tried the neuspeed and absolutely hated it.

ive never been more happy than how i am with my standard linkage back in.

I'm not sure Paul, I mean the oem gear shift as it currently stands couldn't be any worse in my opinion I mean, when changing up gears hard from 1st gear up to 4th the RPM just falls back down to nearly 2000 rpm every time u change up gears, now that's just silly, a neuspeed short shift should Defiantly sort it out, I mean I've had first hand experience with this product as well, but on a V6 4motion and trust me it changed the acceleration by a long long way, honestly you do not feel a single thing when changing up gears just the speed keeps on coming whereas on an oem S3 shift it's more like change gears (WAIT A COUPLE OF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif MINUTES) turbo kicks in and you're off again, I just don't like that seriouse turbo lag, any GTI could take you on if he's a decent enough driver. (this is though just my opinion, anyone feel free to criticise) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif