Best Scratch Removal Technique?

Stevofoz

Reaction score
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me with a detailing issue I am having?

I spent the day saturday attempting to detail my S3 for the first time. I started with a two bucket clean, micro-fibre towel dry then hit it with Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay kit which removed a lot of surface contamination. I then went on to Meguiars Professional 105 and 205 compounds using an orbital polisher and stopped there for now due to the following.

At some point in my cars history it looks as though someone has cleaned it with a fairly abrasive cloth as there are reasonably deep scratches all over the body work. They are more noticeable on the bonnet and roof. I had thought that the 105 would get rid of these but if anything it has just highlighted them further.

I know that Audi's have fairly hard paint but am I doing something wrong or should I be using something with a heavier cut to remove the scratches?

Hi m8, Did u see the scratches after u Clayed or after u polished with 105 and 205?
How deep are the scratches?
I'm not familiar with the capability of a orbital but I'm sure if u use a Das6 polisher, orange pad for the 105, white for the 205 ud manage to get them out.
What kind of pads did u use for the 105 and 205 on the orbital?
If u can't get scratches out with the 105 there is something wrong as its very abrasive, unless ur right through the clearcoat ul never get them out :)

Hi,
Thanks for the reply!
I knew the scratches were there before I started the whole process, it was one of my reasons for attacking the car with machinery and compounds. It's almost as if the process has highlighted the scratches though, they are now much more prominent and they almost seem to sparkle and catch the light. It is much worse in the sunlight but can now also be seen in normal indirect light as well.
I used a wool mop for the 105 as I'm pretty sure that is what it said for orbital machines on the bottle and then a soft foam for the 205.
Should I try using a different pad with the 105? maybe a foam pad instead?

Hi m8, I don't know how much grunt ur orbital has.
Most the time with Audi's known hard paint most use an orange pad (medium/ heavy cutting)for 105 and a white (medium/light polishing)for the 205.
That's hexlogic pads tho, be carefull of this if u use a different brand as some colours are different :)
Is the backing plate Velcro on ur orbital?
Give these a whirl on ur orbital and see how u get on, or the equivelant pads for ur machine :)

Failing that invest in a DAS6 or DAS6 pro polisher if u feel u need a bit extra grunt :)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/chemical-guys-hexlogic-pads/cat_82.html

I would post pics up first and let us see what the damage is before you do anything else. If you've gone thro the clear coat then its a respray but I doubt you have. It may just need a good combo of pad and cutting compound to get them down. Megs 105 is good so is Scholls Concepts S2 Extra Heavy cut compund....makes light work of Audi paint but you need to be careful. Pics first please.

Thanks for all the advice peeps, I will try and get some pics of the bonnet and roof if it's still light enough when I get home!

I initially stated (naively) that it was an orbital machine but it is in fact a Sealey Rotary polisher with a top RPM of 1800. I have only used it at around half speed so far mainly out of fear but having watched several more videos on Youtube I feel a little more confident in stepping the speed up a little.
I have also tried (on an isolated scratch) using Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 both by hand and with the machine at low speeds and that didn't make much of an impression either.
It looks as though the previous owner either lived at the end of a very narrow driveway that was overgrown or have taken it through car washes frequently. Either that or it has been repeatedly cleaned by wiping over when dry.
Maybe I am expecting too much but I really thought (after a lot of research) that the 105 with a machine would get rid of the scratches but it has hardly touched them. I know they are not through the clear coat as they can barely be felt by hand which is why I was certain the 105 would get rid of them.
I have no doubt that it is something I am doing wrong, I just need to know what to change. I don't really want to fork out another £150 on a new DA machine, I'm sure the rotary one I have should be up to the job??

Amazing what u find eventually hidden by products.
I found the same after I bought mine, stonechips on the bonnet and small scratches.
I'm sure with a rotary ul be able to correct it but be careful :)
Ul get a DAS polisher for 80 quid bud :)

i found out my 8p a3 gets stone chips on the bumper and bonnet when i go on motorways and its so very annoying