Best priced insurance?

Sprintblu3

Reaction score
hi guys, I haven't been on this forum for around 6 years now. I have come back to a s3 from a mk3 RS, my insurance for the RS was well priced but since I have come back to a s3 the insurance is almost 3x the amount of the RS. what insurance companies is everyone with? Aviva who I am currently with just want to take my pants down

Quoteline direct got me in with Bollington Insurance Brokers for £360 a year fully comp with £250 compulsory excess and no vouluntary

Quoteline direct got me in with Bollington Insurance Brokers for £360 a year fully comp with £250 compulsory excess and no vouluntary
didn't look like they wanted to insure me mate lol quoted me over £5k. my insurance always seems to be over £1k. I got my mk3 RS down to around £650 before I sold it. Churchill seem to be cheapest for me up to now

didn't look like they wanted to insure me mate lol quoted me over £5k. my insurance always seems to be over £1k. I got my mk3 RS down to around £650 before I sold it. Churchill seem to be cheapest for me up to now
There are so many variables involved in an insurance quote that another person's price - no matter how well-intentioned they are - isn't going to help.

Even if you did a quote for somebody the same age and sex as you, at the same address, with the same occupation as yours, driving the same car with the same driving history - i.e. you - the likelihood is that you still wouldn't get the same price twice.

Make yourself a big mug of tea, crack open the ginger nuts and park yourself in front of a computer.

There's no shortcut.

Reactions: Booti, Ron240 and Adam14
There are so many variables involved in an insurance quote that another person's price - no matter how well-intentioned they are - isn't going to help.

Even if you did a quote for somebody the same age and sex as you, at the same address, with the same occupation as yours, driving the same car with the same driving history - i.e. you - the likelihood is that you still wouldn't get the same price twice.

Make yourself a big mug of tea, crack open the ginger nuts and park yourself in front of a computer.

There's no shortcut.

pretty weird you say that I am currently sat down on my laptop with a brew and a pack of ginger nuts haha hate this time of year searching for new quotes especially when you don't get off to a good start.

hi guys, I haven't been on this forum for around 6 years now. I have come back to a s3 from a mk3 RS, my insurance for the RS was well priced but since I have come back to a s3 the insurance is almost 3x the amount of the RS. what insurance companies is everyone with? Aviva who I am currently with just want to take my pants down
Insurance is a pain and a mind ****, I've been with AXA for 5 years and they have always been the cheapest in that time! The S3 was under £300 for 2015/16/17 then I bought this A5 in 2017, it costs more than the S3 to insure but still under £400 (renewed March). I did a AXA quote the other day on a £21,000 Fiesta ST3 = £1,900 :blink: I then tried Aviva and Direct Line for the ST3, both came in under £400! Yet both of those were a lot more for the S3 and A5 :blink:

Insurance is a pain and a mind ****, I've been with AXA for 5 years and they have always been the cheapest in that time! The S3 was under £300 for 2015/16/17 then I bought this A5 in 2017, it costs more than the S3 to insure but still under £400 (renewed March). I did a AXA quote the other day on a £21,000 Fiesta ST3 = £1,900 :blink: I then tried Aviva and Direct Line for the ST3, both came in under £400! Yet both of those were a lot more for the S3 and A5 :blink:
it is a strange thing insurance and how it calculates. most of the time it doesn't even make sense like in your occasion. well I have til the end of the month to find as cheap as I can. I don't know how old you guys are who are getting insurance for £400/£500 but I am 28 with 1 accident not at fault oh and a fiancé with a sp30 which doesn't seem to change it that much

Adding someone who’s been driving longer always helps too if possible. I’m 22 and adding a 60 y/o family member brings mine down from £3k to £1,300.

I had a MK3 Focus ST before which was about half the value of the S3 but insurance was around the same, makes no sense!

Not sure when your policy is due OP, but if possible get it insured 3-4 weeks before it expires.
Massive savings can be made this way. I dropped my policy by about 20% last year getting in early.

Not sure when your policy is due OP, but if possible get it insured 3-4 weeks before it expires.
Massive savings can be made this way. I dropped my policy by about 20% last year getting in early.
31st may it ends. the cheapest quotes I have up to now I have saved them, I’m hoping I can still find cheaper though

To many variables to advise on which company is best. At nearly 60 and with a 1.5 I'm in a different price bracket.
For the last 20 yrs I've swapped between Tesco, Direct Line, More Than and Caravan Club as these include my fully comp cover when in Europe and not just basic cover per country visited. This year though I went through GoCompare as the £250 x/s for free meant a blanket discount on many companies. I don't know if they are still making this offer but worth a look.

Colin

I’m with Admiral multi car, I find Aviva always at least 3 times the cost of others! I think they only want bog standard 800 cc cars lol. Everyone is different, just go through the market to find what works for you. Sky Insurance did good stuff for my friend with his modded V8 M3

I had been with Direct Line for a few years with my A4 Quattro. Traded it in for a new Toyota Corolla (definitely a case of brain fade there :sadlike:) and price stayed roughly the same, around £400. Then I came to my senses an£ 6 months (and a bunch of cash!) later I had a 2 year old S3. DL wanted £650. Did the online comparison thing, and most came in around the £400 mark. I also did a quote with Audi, and that was Around £400 plus it’s fixed for 3 years assuming no at fault claims. Oh, and it’s underwritten by UK Insurance, the same as DL. Go figure.

I had been with Direct Line for a few years with my A4 Quattro. Traded it in for a new Toyota Corolla (definitely a case of brain fade there :sadlike:) and price stayed roughly the same, around £400. Then I came to my senses an£ 6 months (and a bunch of cash!) later I had a 2 year old S3. DL wanted £650. Did the online comparison thing, and most came in around the £400 mark. I also did a quote with Audi, and that was Around £400 plus it’s fixed for 3 years assuming no at fault claims. Oh, and it’s underwritten by UK Insurance, the same as DL. Go figure.
Direct line and Churchill are coming out the cheapest for me, still hell of a lot more than what you are paying though but is what it is I suppose. Can you get a Audi insurance quote online?

Is your Googler bust or what?

You'll be asking us to walk your dog and make your dinner next.

Sheesh...

ahhh I remember another reason I haven't been on here in a while. Instead of saying what you said you could of gave me a yes or no. if you want to come make me dinner feel free.. gives me more time to search on googler

It's a particularly stressful time if you're a member of the Flat Earth Society, as we are.

We're scared to death that social distancing might push us over the edge.

Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.

Direct line and Churchill are coming out the cheapest for me, still hell of a lot more than what you are paying though but is what it is I suppose. Can you get a Audi insurance quote online?

Is your Googler bust or what?

You'll be asking us to walk your dog and make your dinner next.

Sheesh...

lol at least he didn't do THIS :D:p

Reactions: KenL, Fatbloke and Phutters
I’d be fibbing if I said it didn’t cross my mind :friends:
I think in these time we all need to inject a bit of humour as and where we can :haha:...otherwise we will all go mad :blink::gun2:

Reactions: Phutters
Insurance is all over the place !

I’ve been with esure the last few years who’ve always been the cheapest (reputable) company when I’ve checked a comparison on line.

In March this year I needed to change my car from an RS3 to a Merc A45 ... esure could not insure me for that car so I had to ditch my policy & change companies ... but they did me a favour as I moved to AXA who were 40% cheaper .... go figure :blink:

Reactions: Sprintblu3
Tesco came out cheapest for me, but that's for an A3 not S3. In fact, they were considerably cheaper.

I've just had my renewal in from Saga.....and they are asking an additional £143 over last year.
I phoned them up and they reduced the increase to £83, but I've already had a quote from Admiral at an extra £30 over last year.

Insurance is crazy.....you would think companies would do their best to retain customers who dont make claims....but obviously not.

Insurance is crazy.....you would think companies would do their best to retain customers who dont make claims....but obviously not.

Insurance is crazy.

I did a comparison for two of the next vehicles I’m considering and for both it was more expensive to have it kept in a garage overnight as opposed to parked on the street, in one case over £450 more.

Also looked at getting a second vehicle, nothing fancy, and old D40 Navara with no business insurance, and that came in at quarter what the vehicle was worth, twice the amount of my S3’s insurance.

OP, as someone else has suggested, you just have to put the leg work in, sit down, run through the comparison sites, re-enter all those details in to the sites that aren’t on the comparison sites and go from there. I don’t think any company someone recommends is going to be particularly helpful because what’s cheapest for them may not be for you. That’s my experience anyway. Good luck!

It's interesting what people pay but kind of irrelevant to each individual's circumstances.
The biggest factor for me is postcode
The premium last year on my 2015 SQ5 was £780 (with multi car discount £820 without). That's with LV who have been best for me 4 years running
My mate who also has a 2015 SQ5 and is the same age and driving history as me paid £450, it can only be due to postcode.
Mines due again at the end of June so maybe a list of insurers not on comparison sites would be of greater help!

Insurance is crazy.

I did a comparison for two of the next vehicles I’m considering and for both it was more expensive to have it kept in a garage overnight as opposed to parked on the street, in one case over £450 more.

Also looked at getting a second vehicle, nothing fancy, and old D40 Navara with no business insurance, and that came in at quarter what the vehicle was worth, twice the amount of my S3’s insurance.

OP, as someone else has suggested, you just have to put the leg work in

It's not just car insurance that is crazy. I tried to get a quote for a touring caravan that was in a locked garage attached to the house. The garage door could only be opened from the inside, accesed via 3 x 5 lever mortice locks. The van was stored on axle stands with a hitch lock and you needed to lift the two 40kg garage doors off and have a second person help you get the van out. I was refused insurance as I did not have a post in the floor.
This was nothing compared to a van stored under 24/7 armed guard behind two secutity fences on an army base where the owner was told insufficient security measures. It's the tick box approach ran by many companies.

Your high quote for the Navara does not surprise me. I don't believe you automatically get any no claims on a second policy, no matter what % you are running at on your original.

Colin

Reactions: Chris.D
I've just had my renewal in from Saga.....and they are asking an additional £143 over last year.
I phoned them up and they reduced the increase to £83, but I've already had a quote from Admiral at an extra £30 over last year.

Should have done it last week! https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/05/lucky-saga-customers-benefit-from-pricing-error/ bet that guy didn't beleive his luck at £70 :)

Reactions: Ron240
Your high quote for the Navara does not surprise me. I don't believe you automatically get any no claims on a second policy, no matter what % you are running at on your original.

This is a good point, I hadn't considered that. I think if anything though that makes it worse, as I’d quoted for my NCB as per my original/current one and it was still the price it was.

I considered after I’d posted the above that the high insurance could be down to the chassis problems on the earlier D40’s, but then I’d thought Nissan had checked and fixed all those affected. Anyway, I run the risk of de-railing OP’s post so I’ll leave it there.

Cheers,

Chris

I decided to try Direct Line because people say they are cheaper due to not being on comparison sites.
Well not for me they are not, because a directly comparable quote came out at £612 :frowning:
This is £98 more than Saga want for my renewal, £206 more than Admiral want, and £235 more than I paid last year.
Complete madness.....and I live in a good post code area too! :rage:
One possible reason for Direct Line being so high is that their statistics for the S3 are worse than others, so all drivers get tarred with the same brush to a degree.....doesn't matter how unblemished your personal record is.

Last edited:
I decided to try Direct Line because people say they are cheaper due to not being on comparison sites.
Well not for me they are not, because a directly comparable quote came out at £612 :frowning:
This is £98 more than Saga want for my renewal, £206 more than Admiral want, and £235 more than I paid last year.
Complete madness.....and I live in a good post code area too! :rage:
One possible reason for Direct Line being so high is that their statistics for the S3 are worse than others, so all drivers get tarred with the same brush to a degree.....doesn't matter how unblemished your personal record is.

It's bonkers mate, my mate had his renewal a couple of weeks back and was happy with £330, since then he has moved house 2 mile down the road, on Thursday night he sent me this message:

Ins

2 miles distance and yet it's more than doubled! Justify that :blink:

Reactions: Ron240