Best place for refurb calipers?

GhostWKD

Reaction score
Hi All,

Recently found my A4 had a siezed caliper... found this out by coming off the mway at mway speed and finding I had no brakes... wasnt the nicest of experiences.

Anyway have now spent best part of £70 on discs, pads and wheel bearings... now the caliper. Managed to free it off but seal has a few bits of damage and piston has seen better days so am tempted to swap it out for a replacement.

Thought this would be about £40 + old caliper/surcharge and have found its infact £60+vat (+ surcharge, not that it matters really as already got old caliper off) - are there any good places to use to get a replacement for cheaper?

Phoned all the local motor factors and they've all been above 60 before vat on top :( - guessing Audi not worth a try? although have to phone them for 4 new caliper mount bolts which rounded off anyway...

Cheers,
Alex

You forgetting someone... ;)They`re only 66.27 inc vat for exchange from Audi.

Special rates apply of course £42 inc vat each. Just have to get them and give me your old ones..

Bolts £2.40 inc vat for 4

This is of course if you have the 280mm`s as previously suspected?

Last edited:
Could probably get them even cheaper from Euro`s with my discount but would need chassis number. Dont think i have it from the last time you gave me it (if you ever did? lol)

Aha! Touche :) Hadnt forgotten but would've felt bad if first time spoke to you in week or two was asking for help with audi parts :p

But will give you a call later tonight, Sams away atm so got her car to rock about in but could do with audi back on road as the Merc really guzzles the fuel :( - think you've got chassis no but will dig it out again :)

Oh and its not the fronts its the rears... fronts i'll probably do shortly since i've spent so much on the rears, might as well have new brakes all round heh

Ah i see. Will have a look tomorrow and have a ring around and will let you know.

Ah thats a handy link to have then... Thanks mate :)

Sorry Jay forgot to give you a call and realised was silly late.. will drop you a msg tomorrow though and if can get a price for me for;

Rear Drivers side caliper
4 x Caliper carrier bolts (ie bolts for the caliper carriers to bolt to the beam/axle/thatbit)
1 x handbrake cable clip as mine was rusted solid and got somewhat abused when removing it heh :)

Cheers buddy :)

Hmm yeah rears are more expensive due to not being exchange. Genuines are £79.67 inc vat. Euro`s with my discount (probably the same thing with being new not exhange) £71.94 inc vat. Beds battery are £70.21 inc vat. About the cheapest i can get.

Caliper to carrier and carrier to axel are £3.36 inc vat for the 4.

The clip you`re after is it the horse shoe type clip that goes on the corregated part just before the cable attaches to the caliper? (can only go by terrible pics) If so thats 48p inc vat.

No worries - will probably go with factors tbh as need to drive the audi again, sams car costing me over £5 extra in fuel per day :(

You got part no's for carrier to axel bolts and for the horse shoe clip at all mate? (I think that you're right there, it clips the handbrake cable to the caliper where it passes through it... cable passes through the hole bottom left and gets held in there by a clip)

You down reading this weekend for bobs thing btw?

$(KGrHqEOKkEE5U,GqSO6BOZilGscdw~~60_12.JPG

Carrier to axel is N90688902 and clip is N90070306.

Nope, the only reason he`s arranged that is because of the fannying around with going to Alton Towers and a night out for his and Beckys b`day so it got canceled and me and Becky are going to AT friday on our own as no one else could come on a friday due to working and then my parents are sorting a night out on the saturday night with the rest of my family and stuff.

Legend, cheers dude :)

Ah yeah sorry forgot sam mentioned something about that, sucks that never ended up doing anything for beckys bday though... hope you guys have a decent night on sat - will need to catch up soon, its been ages :)

Any alternative part no's for the same bolts on any VWs or anything like that Jay? Newbury audi worse than useless... or actually have you got them in stock? Passing by to go to Kings Lynn on sat to look at a car so was thinking of stopping by anyway if you were aboot :)

Edit: NM being an idiot, same part no heh

Last edited:
Oh dear what are you looking at...Alex.. no silly choices :p

Another one lol. Colour is a bit suspect in pics haha. Looks in good condition though obviously as its had a respray. Even though they`re Volks? looks it. The wheels need changing! lol.

Hey, i love R32`s so its not disapproving i just hope its a decent one and wont go the same way the last did :( Thats if you buy it though although knowing you you will haha. Whats the spec? Or a link will do if its not login required.

YHPM lol :) It sounds and looks like a good one, shall see, if its not a good one wont buy it - know what to look out for alot more now... when it was last RR'd it put down 475 odd bhp with a slipping flywheel

Colour is like bayside blue but slightly different... dont like the wheels then? :p

Last edited:
Has flywheel been sorted now though? That wouldnt be a cheap fix. Still think you should go VAG. Nice and cheap and things are easy enough to sort and it becomes easier with full Vagcom. I have free version now and already saved us 30quid by turning off beckys airbag light lol. You`re just greedy with powahz haha :p

Er clutch not flywheel lol, but yeah that was replaced :)

VAG I just dont think have anything stupid enough in my budget for a weekend toy :p Thought about a 106 Rallye on throttle bodies but tbh most of the time its the acceleration that provides grin factor, plus the fact the only events I tend to do are 1/4 miles :p - in short yeah greedy for powah :D

Your Vagcom work with Windows 7? I got a ebay vagcom cable and software doesnt work and cant install drivers :( Next step is try an older laptop lol :p

Not sure. I has various files depending on opperating systems but cant remember if 7 was on there. VAG COM USB DIAGNOSTIC CABLE 409.1 OBD2 II LEAD VAG-COM | eBay thats the one i bought and it says window 7 is fine.

Yeah clutch makes more sense but i see it in the advert in PM lol.

S4`s fall in your budget but i`d only get one with turbo`s already swapped. Which might proove more tricky. Otherwise they can be had for as little as 3500. I`d love one but the engine out side of it scares me and i could never afford the labour for any of the big jobs until i got a much better job. Although Unit18 in MK who i use are really cheap so who knows.

Well next year im going to start doing some track days like at bedford perhaps when a few more bits are done so you could always think about coming along to stuff like that. The link i sent you on FB to Prawns A3 track car shows with only 230bhp but stripped out and the right parts fitted it can proove to be a right f*ck up the **** to a lot of the bigger cars on track and stuff.

Looks like same cable i've got but i got some dodgy china CDR with some software/drivers on it :p

Thought about S4 but be too similar to my daily i think heh... Id be up for some track days though when time comes round dude so keep me posted :)

S4 be nothing like the daily apart from being the same shell lol. For a start its so much nicer inside but thats besides the point as you arent buying a toy for the comfort :p. Handling and power would make it a completely different car to drive. Handy having MRC on your doorstep too although you`d always be there wanting more from them :p Pretty sure it was them at Vmax at the weekend hitting 204mph in their S4 lol.