Best oil for my 2009 s4

Chop.

Reaction score
Hey guyz sorry if this has been asked before ( I'm new here )

What oil would you recomend for my b8 s4 standard with no mods yet, iv tried googling for answers but wanted to ask for myself

Thanks

Not sure I'll need to check but really wanted to know what people were actually using

I think that I discovered, looking at the service book, that my car, when it went for its first service, got filled up with Mobil 1 ESP 3W-30, so I've used that at the next oil change. Castrol Edge 5W-30 must be the other one to consider as the oil filler has Castrol moulded on to it. The dealers could be using Castrol Edge Professional, but I think that that is also just normal Edge 5W-30 with a tracer dye added - for obvious reasons!!!

Reactions: Chop.
Hi

Thanks I'd read 5w 40 or 5w 30 sp sounds good, some using motul x lite as well so I'll check some prices, service time soon

If you took it to the dealers it would probably get Quantum long life 3 which is a 5w-30 504 /507 oil and is made by Castrol. It is very similar to Castrol Edge.

Thanks, planning self service

Keep the dealers on standby for anything more serious if it arises

Was an hgv mechanic for 10 years so just can't justify paying for services etc when I know how little is involved for the price you get charged

Reactions: desertstorm
I did not mean to write Mobil 1 3W-30 should have been 5W-30, anyway, whatever you use stick with changing it every 12 months or 10,000 miles, my car is still set for variable servicing, suits me as I have changed the oil at 12 months (and very few miles) and maybe, for its first 4 year service, I will let the dealer take my money for the 4 year service - really trying to keep service record complete for a few years in case I need Audi's "help" - just a bit worried about the amount of flack these Audi's are getting in the reliability stakes - also I need to get a key (missing small one) removed and a new one added.

Haha no prob I didn't even notice that, read it as 5 anyway

Don't do many miles so prob be 12months for me after this one

Yeah you've got to do what you've got to do and I know what u mean about keeping the service record up to date any reason to get out of helping u they will

Hopefully there'll be no reliability probs

Change mine every 6 months. Mobil 1 all the way, think I use new life (0w 40)

Any 5w30 oil thats 504/507 compliant will be fine. I personally use Castrol Edge in mine, purely because I still had a 1 litre bottle from my previous car which used the same oil. However, I see no reason to change from that when I pick up my next top up bottle.

Thanks all for your help, Gona go with the castrol edge nice and easy to get and not too expensive

Oil dipstick ordered too !!!!

Castrol Edge is ok there are better oils out there, but remember these engine run high oil temps (117C on the motorway!). I was starting to get cold start timing chain rattle on mine at 40K, I swapped to Millers 5w-40 Nanodrive CTS last service and the rattle has gone!

Interesting I normally run Fuch Race Pro S in my Focus ST, as i'm now doing 20k per year in it thought I would save a bit by downgrading to Castrol Edge but the engine was noisier and just didn't feel as smooth so have swapped back to the fuch.

It is worth speaking to Opie Oil's they really know their stuff..

Castrol Edge is ok there are better oils out there, but remember these engine run high oil temps (117C on the motorway!). I was starting to get cold start timing chain rattle on mine at 40K, I swapped to Millers 5w-40 Nanodrive CTS last service and the rattle has gone!

Interesting I normally run Fuch Race Pro S in my Focus ST, as i'm now doing 20k per year in it thought I would save a bit by downgrading to Castrol Edge but the engine was noisier and just didn't feel as smooth so have swapped back to the fuch.

It is worth speaking to Opie Oil's they really know their stuff..

Im also using Castrol Edge 5w30 at the mo but looking to change next time round to see if the oil consumption is slightly better. I don't get through that much but do have to top up half a litre every few thousand miles. A few posts a while back said they also thought that after moving away from Castrol made an improvement. Might try the Fuch Race Pro S as well as used that on my 350z and it was good oil (seemed to potentially solve some juddering that was apparent when running on Motul v300).

Interestingly I never have to top the Focus up inbetween services while using the Fuch oil, while using Edge I topped up about 1 litre in total.. My S4 also was using about 1 litre of Edge per 3k miles, this has reduced with the Miller oil.

Good job you don't need to top up with the Fuchs looking at the price of it?. The Castrol gives you a partial oil change throughout the year.
I wouldn't start complaining about using 1 litre in a year or the 2.0 TFSI guys will be on here with there 1 litre of oil in 400 mile stories.

Karl.

Reactions: scotty76
I had read the b8s used a bit of oil and I'm ok with that, depending on which oil I go for right enough so just need to see how it goes a litre of oil every so often won't break the bank

Plus you could think of it as a continuous service half litre of old out and half a litre of new in every 2-3k that's 3 litres of fresh oil between every service

I agree with the belief that stuffing in 0.5 litre every 2K miles is okay if it means that cylinder bore wear is reduced along with reduced friction. It took me a few years to work out that the oil usage on wife's 9N Polo 1.4 16V was down to oil separator issues and not bore wear, mind you I could have bought quite a lot of oil for the £85+ a new separator cost.