Best oil for 2.0 tdi cr engine

sam100000

Reaction score
Got an a3 09 170 cr engine

Been told 5w30 is better than 5w40 but mechanic still recommends 5w40.

Usually i run millers nanodrive 5w40 cfs on my gti. But as this is a diesel which millers oil would be best?

When i went on opie oils and put in 5w30 a lot came up. I just want the best and correct oil.

Please suggest, thanks.

I use Quantum Longlife III (not on a long life service schedule though) and I have the same engine.

Reactions: Gazwould
Same stuff mate. Gimme a ring on 01905 346808 and ill see what i can do for you.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

You're being a bit brand specific with the Millers and isn't Nanodrive a bit of "marketing", they are still all 507.00 .

A PD needs a better quality of oil compared to CR because of the PD's narrow cam lobes due to the middle PD unit injector lobe being wide . So a CR is overprotected . You don't need to guess or pay extra for one you might think is best.

Just go with the cheapest approved 507.00 which was mentioned earlier as the Quantum-Longlife III , it's Vw own as it has a trademark on Quantum lubricants .

Reactions: Sayam, sam100000 and Rog_B
You're being a bit brand specific with the Millers and isn't Nanodrive a bit of "marketing", they are still all 507.00 .

A PD needs a better quality of oil compared to CR because of the PD's narrow cam lobes due to the middle PD unit injector lobe being wide . So a CR is overprotected . You don't need to guess or pay extra for one you might think is best.

Just go with the cheapest approved 507.00 which was mentioned earlier as the Quantum-Longlife III , it's Vw own as it has a trademark on Quantum lubricants .

haha my mechanic insists on millers all the time but I'll just go with quantum or castrol edge. Thanks :)

When you're talking Ester Racing oils from, Millers , Fuchs , Gulf , Red Line and Motul, now they're in a different league.

So if we take into account the difference between PD and CR, the link (1) states the following line: "Note: Quantum PD Diesel must be used in Volkswagen vehicles with PD Diesel engines on Time/Distance servicing"

Does this mean that:

1) this is more suitable for CR?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quantum-L...SS-/172180841695?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

and that upon a quick ebay search for "Quantum PD Diesel"

2) this is more suitable for PD (for fixed not longlife servicing)?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-VW-Q...237737?hash=item5aed5b42e9:g:lMIAAOSws0lTcJeL

I have a 2.0TDI BKD (PD) engine and have used (1) with no issues. I'm just wondering if (2) which is of a different rating (5W40 rather than 5W30) is more suitable especially for an older pd engine.

2) offers less protection as it is a medium quality oil .
Thanks Gazwould, I used the quantum longlife 5W30 with the mindset that it's oil designed for long life intervals so should offer better protection with shorter, fixed-term service intervals. But how would anyone know that (2) is a medium quality oil? It says fully synthetic and meets the specs (502 and 505, rather than the established 507. Would this be the reason why?)

2016-05-15%2009.17.40_zps8muxphkk.png

Reactions: sam100000
Asked my mechanic and again he says its ok to use 5w40 even on the CR diesel engine as its better at higher temperatures, would it be ok to use this then? Millers CFS nanodrive racing engine oil - I used this on my mk5 gti and never had a problem.

So for your normal driver that wants the best for the car what's the best?

Is racing oil only good if you let the oil heat up properly?

If you do short journeys is it best to have one that is more viscous at lower temps?

Short journeys you could say a 0W30 507.00 Shell Helix Ultra Professional , big difference in low temp viscosity compared to 5W , with 5W it takes longer to thin , with 0W you have less drag straight away and able to achieve more mpg during warm up or short journeys .

Sam .

VW 5W40 diesel oil top spec is 505.01 which is a group 3 oil basestock with a high dose of anti wear metals in it's additive package .

The high dose is there to protect the narrow valve cam lobes of a PD camshaft , they are narrow and thus more vulnerable to wear . Narrow because a 3rd middle lobe is used to drive the PD unit injector .

SAM_1939.jpg

Now these anti wear metals burn leaving high ash that would eventually block a DPF.

To get around this they set about making a low saps oil that would also supersede the old LongLife spec 0W30 506.01 .

507.00 was born and out performed every VW spec oil before it . The performance comes from the addition of higher oil basestocks 4 and 5 so it becomes a more complete oil with 3 , 4 and 5.

4 improves the broad range of temperatures.

5 ( Ester ) takes more high temp abuse and superior detergency .

3 , 4 and 5 is used in Ester marketed racing oils !

Along with a higher overall additive package concentration makes 507.00 a high quality LongLife oil .

Now with the viscosity , an oil is graded according to its thickness / ability to flow at 100°C , each grade has a range of about 4 units of viscosity - Centistokes . So you can get thick and thin 30's and 40's .

2016 06 03 083639

According to Castol Edge and Quantum data sheets...

5W40 505.01
Castrol Edge and Quantum Platinum
is 13 .

5W30 507.00
Castrol Edge and Quantum-Longlife III
is 12 .

So 505.01 is a thin 40 grade and
507.00 a thick 30 grade , just not enough difference .

So the 5W30 507.00 is higher quality and almost the same grade as 5W40 505.01.

It's all about oil basestock groups and the additive package that gives it's quality .

Reactions: Sayam
bamboozled.

Assume then that you have to factor your oil around the use of the car.

I have just bought Quantum Longlife III 5w30 for my 2.0 CR170.

Reactions: Gazwould