Best oil for 1.9 tdi avf

MarijZ

Reaction score
Hey,
What is the absolute best oil for 1.9 tdi avf engine?

Best or not i don't know but... I use & have used for years
I'm not keen on the new box it comes in now though

As above, 507.00

That's the long life spec isn't it?
As long as you're using one of the two PD spec oils 505/507 (I think), you'll be fine regardless of brand. What's actually far more important is how regularly you change the oil, I've always changed at 5k miles.

5W40 505.01 is the correct PD spec as is the later 5W30 507.00 LongLife spec .

Now if an oil is a PD spec and a LongLife spec it must be of a..... quality.

That's the point, 507 is 'better' in the sense it's long life oil, but tbh the whole long life oil is questionable. You wouldn't keep washing dishes in used dirty water no matter how good the dish soap would you? The 507 long life oil is meant for 10-20k mile changes which is far to long. Focus on changing regularly, it's more important than picking 507 over 505

Reactions: norris_309
Not quite , use the higher quality 507.00 , higher anti wear , higher this and that for an annual 10K / 1 year , that's the chicken dinner .

Reactions: Stonedofmoo
That's fair, I've always changed at 5k intervals so 505 is ideal, that being said the price difference can often be small now days.

Now you can use 507.00 for 5k intervals .

But you'll have a job to beat my 1.9 AVF 507.00 servicing .

20210208 155112
20210208 155128

Not quite , use the higher quality 507.00 , higher anti wear , higher this and that for an annual 10K / 1 year , that's the chicken dinner .
I’ve heard that 5w30 is too thin for the 1.9 pd engines… because od the camshafts… i change my oil every 8-10k kilometers so thats about 6000 miles

There's nothing on car forums like oil folk law that just falsely gets repeated by the next .

Grade is too crude a measurement and comprises of roughly 4 centiStoke units so over the two grades there are 8 units , all measured at 100°C , in Castrol's production the two VW specifications were separated by just one centiStoke so the 5W30 507.00 was a thick 30 and 5W40 505.01 a thin 40 .

If the goal posts were moved by just half a centiStoke the two oils would come under one grade .

Also viscosity doesn't dictate oil film strength , it's the ingredients namely the oil basestock groups and additive package concentration .

I always used to Quantum platinum in my mk4 golf pd 130 & then went with the longlife 3 in the b6, only as thats what was previously used.
As Gazwould I'd just make sure it's changed regularly with the correct spec, even though i used longlife oil i do change it annually which probably equated to 8-10k miles in the past but now is more like 3k! but for the difference in price between the platinum (505.01) and the longlife (507 00) may as well go with the higher spec in my mind

Reactions: Gazwould
So in the end would you reccomend me 5w30 or 40? Price doesn’t matter to me i just want the best for my car.

It's hard work sometimes , time for the avalanche...

• Haha
Reactions: spartacus 68, norris_309 and Stonedofmoo
Have a look on the shell website they list both a standard and a 'premium' oil for each variant of tbe engine

• Angry
Please someone call an ambulance..

• Haha
Reactions: spartacus 68, norris_309 and Stonedofmoo
Marijz - Honest to god you've been given the information and answer more than once, take the time to read and understand it!

Sorry sorry everyone im a halfwit… anyway ordered fully synthetic 507.00

sorry again…

Reactions: norris_309, Stonedofmoo, spartacus 68 and 1 other person
Just changed engine oil yesterday) Castrol Edge is one of the best oils available. VW also supplies quantum oils which I believe is the same as Castrol.

A spec is a spec , standardised set of ingredients to make the oil performance profile even at supermarket own brand level .

Quantum is made by Fuchs .

For cars I tend to use Shell Helix Ultra, bikes I use Silkolene. Maybe slightly biased due to trade accounts haha