Best mods for a V6??

dalejones

Reaction score
I picked up my audi a3 V6 yesterday, its manual, has a nice grunt to it just wondering what mods are good to do for these engines?? do thay sound nice with an exhaust?

How much money you got :)
please dont tell me another one trying to do crazy mods for £300:].

On a serious note supercharger or turbo is the only option, exhaust expensive and wont give you much bhp increase. You could be looking at spending anything between 3.500-5k.

please dont tell me another one trying to do crazy mods for £300:]. On a serious note supercharger or turbo is the only option, exhaust expensive and wont give you much bhp increase. You could be looking at spending anything between 3.500-5k.
Nicely put,and spot on.

mite get a milltek exhaust whats peoples views on these on this engine?

do thay sound nice with an exhaust?

:keule:

CustomCode do a good map for R32s, so if its just the same engine that'll get you towards 300bhp. And yes, they sound good with an exhaust (the only reason to get one over an S3).

I would say leave a car like that, it's powerful enough. then again I'm a bit boring sometimes :p

I've seen some very nice HGP and HPA conversions.

Both are VERY costly but deliver some serious power but whether or not you want that sort of expense has to be considered very carefully.

Exhaust, remap and cosmetic changes failing that sell the v6 and buy a s3 then mod that you will get more bang for you buck and it would still be cheaper.

:keule:

CustomCode do a good map for R32s, so if its just the same engine that'll get you towards 300bhp. And yes, they sound good with an exhaust (the only reason to get one over an S3).

No chance. You will not get an extra 60bhp from a remap on an NA engine. You'd be lucky to see 15bhp increase.

I agree, my S4 4.2 v8 was 345 stock & that only went to 360ish, but tbh I noticed absolutely sweet fa difference in power overall, maybe a bit smoother, who knows, seemed more placebo than anything else & I remember many discussions with Paddy (which reminds me where TF is he) about the same thing & how much it costs to get anything registerable interms of power gains.

It's the whole issue with NA engines - extracting power out of them is extremely hard and expensive without going to force induction. Our R32 is remapped and the RR graph shows 252bhp so a gain of 12bhp - the previous owner paid £500 for this remap. For the same price you could remap a 2.0t for an extra 40-50bhp quite easily.

i would turbo charge it.
supercharger will drink like a whale.
turbo charged can give you some fuel economy.
please watch this link for some inspiration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB2NVegSh90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSdybGUYHEs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRXb7BrtaMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3irbh2SeLC8

It is true that a SC does have some parasytic drain on the engine, this drain is only when in boost though.
When out of boost the SC is effectivly freewheeling so has no noticable effect of the effiency of the engine.

Turbo's aren't exactly free either though.
Having that large blockage in the exhaust manifold does effect the efficiency of the engine and saps some power in the process.
Not as much as a SC granted, but then i've never heard of anyone going FI to improve fuel economy :whistle2:

the whine from a super charger can be annoying.

Few points here also.

1/ All the A3 3.2 SC kits i've seen offer a Rotrex SC, the Rotrex is a centrifugal supercharger so is basically a belt driven turbo, as such it makes no whine.

2/ The usual SC whine you refer to is usually from Roots or Positive displacement type SC's, even on these though the whine is only when the SC is in boost, so only a small fraction of the time spent driving.

3/ My MX5 has been supercharged for around 10 years now, even though 99% of the drives are with the top down so no sound proofing i can state without any doubt that i still can't get enough of that SC whine even after 10 years
:rockwoot:

SC v Turbo is a debate that's gone on for years, each has it's own advantages and disadvantages.
It's really up the individual to decide what will work best for them.

Personally i don't mind either way, i have a supercharged car, a turbo's car and a NA car, they all serve a purpose and they all do that job extremely well.

For the 3.2 i would personally prefer a SC over a turbo, simply because over here having a hot turbo, in a poorly ventilated closed in engine bay with very little room around it (a turbo is tight on a 3.2 A3) it tends to be a nightmare in traffic in summer (45c+ in the shade).
Out of boost SC's tend to run a lot cooler, so that's be my choice.

As i say though there is no right or wrong, if i found a well manufactured and designed turbo system for the right price, i could easily be swayed.

Has anyone actually tried the vvt attack map yet? They claim gains of around 40bhp, so it'd be nice to see for the money. Turbo'd would be awesome, but the conversions are some serious wedge.

Has anyone actually tried the vvt attack map yet? They claim gains of around 40bhp, so it'd be nice to see for the money. Turbo'd would be awesome, but the conversions are some serious wedge.

Like I said, but was then shot down, I know a guy who claims his VVT Attack map put him just shy of 290 at the flywheel (I said towards 300) on a MkV R32. He's really happy with it. I'll try to get exact figures, but think he's offshore at the mo.

im in the same boat just got my V6. but im looking more to handling to start with maybe some new anti roll bars and shocks all round lower her very slightly, not to be chavy just to get her to handle well whats your thoughts?

If it really does that,firstly I'd be surprised,but if it's true,then people ought to be biting VVT's hands off for it.

It does still leave you at the limit of N/a power for that engine without a lot of costly mods,that would be better spent on either a turbo or supercharger kit,or a long hard look at whether or not it's worthwhile.

Tommo has the right idea I think. The V6 has reasonable oomph out of the box, the best thing to do is make the most of what it already has with handling and brake mods. A performance filter, nice exhaust and a remap would see some minor power gains, but for me the benefit of those changes is more towards the sound it makes than the power, no bad thing mind ;)

what performance filters are best? and also is milltek exhaust the nicest note? gna order these tomorrow as i already have a remap!

This is where it becomes much harder than modding an S3!

A VVT attack and remap would be around £1k - this is for a DSG.

Any remap will be lucky to gain more than 10bhp, even if you get 15 in real terms it will probably be much less.

There's been a recent package launched in the UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSdybGUYHEs

These guys are charging just over 5k, which seems about right as JBS start from 3k.

The thing that stops me is potential problems, if you're not equipped with the knowledge or prepared to keep investing it can bite you in the ***. Don't forget the insurance!

I've decided not to pursue any performance mods, focus on making your car feel pretty...or something less expensive :readit:

yeah im not spending 5k on a car i paid 6 for seems crazy to my dont mind spending a couple on mods that aint gonna cost me more in the future.

The V6's respond pretty well to an intake, full ehxuast and remap (revo) - several R32 examples over here in NI reaching the 270bhp mark.

That and handling I would concentrate on and you will have a very nice motor!

Reactions: pwilliamson1991 and S3Alex
There was only one reason I got my V6, and that was the gorgeous sound, granted I was smitten after going out in a non resonated (no middle box) one, hence my first mod being the exhaust. Obviously in the beginning I had delusions of chasing mega power, until I come to terms with the fact that the car is already quick, it's no Ferrari but it's still licence losing fast. My thinking now is, if I had £5k+ to turbo it, I'd sell it and put the money towards getting something better/faster. I've got my wheels and coilovers so I'm done now, other than a possible remap soon maybe. The car makes me smile every time I get in it, what more could I ask for.

Cheers Kai

I guess I'll join the party...my favorite mods for the VR6

HPA DSG flash
VF engineering motor, tranny mounts
HPA puck with the VF "dog bone" mount

don't waste any money on adding horsepower unless you go FI. If you want FI get ready to spend 15000 USD and the only one I recommend comes from Marcel at HPA

They exhausts sound awesome on that car... Me personally.. nice new air filter and an exhaust... try getting it sound as sweet as the cars in the vids

So has anyone actually had this vvt done from here yet??

I do and have surprised a few cars with it. Most recently a silver 57 plate s3 on the a404. Once stopped we had s discussion as to what I had.

A noticeable gain is to be had from a custom exhaust , it feels much more responsive, unrestictive. I tried s milltek without the same results, the insides of their back boxes wind back and forth. Which is why I say for best results get a custom, the boxes are straight through.

Would you recommend it Jason? This was the one that originally caught my eye but I read so much negativity over it, mostly unfounded by people that just poo pood it for being "too good to be true".
If it does half of what they claim then £360 is good value.

Cheers Kai

Would you recommend it Jason? This was the one that originally caught my eye but I read so much negativity over it, mostly unfounded by people that just poo pood it for being "too good to be true".
If it does half of what they claim then £360 is good value.

Cheers Kai

Yes I would, it felt much more responsive. It was done by Wak who is well known it the TT world, cost was 350.

i have the 3.2 and have a magnaflow exhaust and an itg filter
sounds much better now

looking to get the exterior done for now and when funds are saved go turbo route

i have the 3.2 and have a magnaflow exhaust and an itg filter
sounds much better now

looking to get the exterior done for now and when funds are saved go turbo route

Do you have a vid of it? I've driven a V6 TT and it was enough to make me wanna chop in my car for one. They might not be the fastest things out of the box and difficult to mod, but what a noise! I think 250bhp/250ft/lbs is just about right for the UK roads. They do drink quite a bit, though.

Driven like a granny on a 35 mile trip to work I averaged 37.8mpg, it was boring as hell. Driving how I want to , I get around 28mpg, so fuel wise not bad. That's after the map.

Reactions: JudderMan
Driven like a granny on a 35 mile trip to work I averaged 37.8mpg, it was boring as hell. Driving how I want to , I get around 28mpg, so fuel wise not bad. That's after the map.
****** hell that's good!

Wow....you've got me thinking now. That TT I drove was low 20mpg according to my mate who owned it. He flips cars (buys and sells) so maybe he didn't drive it as a proper owner would. It sounded so good that I think he felt compelled to cane it everywhere :)