Best Diesel Tuning Box for MPG?

pj123

Reaction score
Hoping for a bit of advice please. My wife has had her 58 plate 2.0 TDI 143 Avant Auto for a couple of months now and is a little disappointed with the MPG at around 45mpg (driving carefully), but happy with the power. We plan to keep the car for a few years and want to buy a tuning box to improve economy. Any advice as to which one to go for to get best MPG and apart from cost are there any downsides/ risks.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Thanks Firecracker, an interesting read.

Looking for a bit more of info around MPG improvements as i have no interest in more power (dare i say that on here!). Is there any data out there comparing the market leaders?

It's marginal, really marginal so don't get fixated on it. When you remap it changes so many parameters that what you read on the DIS can be mild fiction. It's not miles out, but it's less real than standard running data. If you get 2mpg difference I'd be surprised, so buy it because you want one not because they offer free magic beans, they dont (unfortunately).

Have a look around DTUK website, there are some figures there: Improves Fuel Economy - Diesel Tuning UK
From what I understand its around 20-30% increase in MPG and Performance..... other than my mates having both remaps and boxes I don't actually know much more than what I read about them, and am told.

You're in the right place though, people here will own these and give you their figures/findings, plus experience on which boxes perform best.

if youre wanthing extra fuel economy with extra power then youre going to struggle.

The extra power and torque is needed to allow you to make less gear changes which in turn should improve your fuel economy.

I say "should" as we can't, and don't guarantee any fuel gains as we don't know how our customer is driving, what their routes are, and how they are driving.

What kind of miles are you doing annually? and where a bouts in the rpm range do you change gear?

Just to make it clearer, i dont want anymore power...

Its an auto box generally left in Drive without hard accelerating so revs always seem to stay pretty low. Generally do long motorway journeys at weekends averaging 10k miles per year. All sounds very slow and boring I know! Driven carefully can get 45mpg on a long run. We had an a4 PD 130 manual previously and we were getting 60 mpg for the same journeys. Expected a bit of loss from the auto, wider tyres and heavier car, but still think within the laws of physics there is room for improvement on this car and just looking for the best product to help...

Your current car has a cat and DPF, this cant help the mpg in comparison to your old car.

As the CVT auto keeps the engine revs below 2000 rpm I think you may be in danger of sooting up the DPF if you fit a box. A remap and DPF delete will probably be your best option.

Contact DTUK and talk to Andrew he may be able to help you try one of there boxes out I have a DTUK box and I am very happy with it and have improved my mpg, I can't comment on any other box as this is the only one I have used. My car is a manual 2013 2.0 TDi 177 quattro.

Contact DTUK and talk to Andrew he may be able to help you try one of there boxes out I have a DTUK box and I am very happy with it and have improved my mpg, I can't comment on any other box as this is the only one I have used. My car is a manual 2013 2.0 TDi 177 quattro.

Give BigGreg a shout as he has a different box on his TDi ....

Just my opinion, but I'd only ever have a car remapped. I'd also travel a good distance to get it done by a reputable tuner.

For example Corten-Miller who remapped by B7 weren't the cheapest but I glad I saved up and went for them rather than the cheaper alternative I was considering as the service was fantastic. For all their remapped cars they:

- Drive the car before and after remapping to check the car over (e.g. for clutch slip etc)
- Run a full a diagnostic scan before and after remapping for error codes
- Rolling road the vehicle before and after remapping with print-outs
- Monitor knock sensors and fuel to air ratio's for signs the car is being pushed too far
- Are said to happily refuse to remap any car which they believe is unsafe or highly prone to breakdown

And to think they do that even when applying a off the shelf Revo map. Because of course no car is the same as the other, that's why Revo add in tolerance levels to their maps. They were also happy to put up with my endless phone calls after the job was done. I must have rang them 3 times with questions after I'd collected the car and every time he spent a good 30 mins on the phone to me.

Last edited:
Not that I wanted yhem to but revo couldn't map my car .... but as I wanted to avoid ANY potential issues with Audi until the warranty is up I went with a box.

Hoping for a bit of advice please. My wife has had her 58 plate 2.0 TDI 143 Avant Auto for a couple of months now and is a little disappointed with the MPG at around 45mpg (driving carefully), but happy with the power. We plan to keep the car for a few years and want to buy a tuning box to improve economy. Any advice as to which one to go for to get best MPG and apart from cost are there any downsides/ risks.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Hi pj123,

We are forum sponsors and provide both tuning boxes and remaps.

We are not in a position to guarantee your level of fuel consumption reduction as it does depend on your driving style. However, to give you the best possible opportunity to test the product and experience fuel savings, we will pre-programme your tuning system with a specific set of maps to suit your driving style and requirements. Our products have a full 14 day money back guarantee which will give you a chance to establish your fuel economy.

Please feel free to call our technical team on 01245 924 400 for additional advice/information. Alternatively, if you are ever local to Chelmsford, Essex, you are very welcome to drop into our office for a coffee and to make use of our 'try before you buy' service. You can also find further details on our website - Diesel Tuning | Diesel Engine Tuning | TDI Tuning.

You can read feedback on our products and services on both our Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/tdituning and in our independent Feefo reviews.

Regards,

Steve

Diesel Tuning | Diesel Engine Tuning | TDI Tuning

Thanks in advance,
Paul

To be honest Paul if you're getting 45 mpg out of a 143ps CR TDI then you're doing pretty good. The CR engines with DPF are disappointing economy wise compared to the old PD engines. I average 47 mpg on a 2010 143ps CAGA engine (combined). I hit 56 mpg on a long trip to Scotland recently. Driving like nitro-glycerine delivery truck ;-)
I have been toying with getting a box or a remap. I had one a few years ago on my 1.9 PD TDI. My feeling is if your main concern is fuel economy, when you consider the initial cost of the remap/box and factor in the insurance hike, it doesn't make a lot of financial sense - don't get a box or remap for fuel economy, get it to improve the driving characteristics. If the improvement fits you with the torque delivery and easier revs in the lower range advancing your gear changes and you enjoy the drive you may settle into a style that shows some mpg improvement.

I think even the Audi TDI-e at 136 bhp doesn't return great real world fuel figures. Audi claim the 'e' is efficiency but we all know it's emissions. Unfortunately restricting the smoke in a diesel thrashes the efficiency / economy.

<edited for typos>

Last edited: