Best colour Audi? Why is silver no good?

koonl

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a silver A3 which is a bit scuffed with swirl marks, a mixture of light to medium scratches and a couple of dents that a couple of dopey drivers have put in, guess at a car park. Anyway, I called out a dent repair woman who said it really needed a bodyshop job as the dent was actually "creased". She also commented that silver was the worse colour for respraying or colour matching or something, and my brother said the same thing. Can someone clarify why silver is supposed to be a [censored] colour?

Which colour is the best for hiding light scratches or easiest to respray?

Thanks

hmmm - if you're driving to Newcastle way then I could also recommend: Colebrook and Burgess , that's who Teeside Audi sent me to for a new bumper last year, after a minor rear end. Quality finish, but that is all I was prepared to accept (I was fully expecting showroom finishing). They also touched up a few extra things for me for free /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Picked up; cleaned, valeted and with old rear bumper all packed up for me to keep aswell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (quite handy, as it's in really good nic anyway)

Top quality service.

Perhaps it's worth giving both the guys r88per suggested and them for a competitive quote, as we've both highly recommended each /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (sorry to hear about the ding anyway - fcuking frustrating)

Bert,

Carspa = 01642 761666

Address
Dukesway, Teeside Industrial Est, Thornaby.

Cant recomend them enough mate, you wont be disapointed. I got mine done last year for £50 ish.

Mention me if you like
Paul from Hartlepool with the S3 he'll know who you mean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Well I'm having a parking scuff sorted next week and the bloke seemed to think silver was a really easy colour to match ?!?!

Swirl marks and light scratches can be removed with Meguiars ScratchX (excellent stuff) although silver does seem to hide minor blemishes very well and look amazing after a decent coat of wax!

A

IMG_0767.JPG

[ QUOTE ]
berts S3 said:
Where's the best plaice to get a small dent pulled out at(north east,yorkshire area)as some ***** has opened there door onto mine just below passenger mirror think it must have been a 4x4 at that height f ing barstools why do folk not look after theres cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey i had the exact same thing happen to mine just below the wing mirror on the passenger side. I contacted Tyneside audi and they said to take it in and they got Dent wizard to fix it. They pull/push it out with a suction jig and little levers. They done an absolute amazing job, can't tell they have been there as the paint was in tact etc. all for £60.

I don't know any reasons why but I have noticed that if you don't get the colour match exactly right on a silver car, it stands out a mile.

I'm in Watford and I've taken it into Pennings, they've won tons of awards for their work but they're going to post my quote by post after seeing it this lunchtime.

I showed him also some "light" scratches which he seems to think that if you can feel them with your fingernails, they're too deep to wax or cut them out. I'll take some pictures tommorow and post them to show you what I mean. Bought the car (98R) secondhand and had quite a few scuffs around the bodywork, which is a shame is the interior is immaculate.

Was also wondering whether I should get an "all-over-body-treatment" to get rid of as much scratches as possible, after the dent has been removed. Anyone done this and what some of dosh are we talking about? Does anyone have any recommendations in the Herts area?

Thanks

Do house building insureance cover damage to cars if they get hit by things flying off house roofs if so i'll be claiming on that and get it done for free.

I've always found that silver does not show up swirl marks and light scratches and I feel that Audi is one of the few car companies where silver works well on their models. With other manufacturers it some times makes their models look bland and dull.

I had my black A3 'machine glazed' and buffed at a local body shop for £70. As it's black, the swirls were very bad as it had had a lifetime of carwashes (before I owned it, obv.) I found Scratch X to do next to nothing, but its probably my fault more than theirs. (Or my scratches were too bad).

Anyway, the results were very pleasing. There are still swirls of soughts still there, but they are very light. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a face lift on their car!

[ QUOTE ]
paul_brad said:
I had my black A3 'machine glazed' and buffed at a local body shop for £70. As it's black, the swirls were very bad as it had had a lifetime of carwashes (before I owned it, obv.) I found Scratch X to do next to nothing, but its probably my fault more than theirs. (Or my scratches were too bad).

Anyway, the results were very pleasing. There are still swirls of soughts still there, but they are very light. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a face lift on their car!

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of that.

Any more info?

[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:
[ QUOTE ]
paul_brad said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of that.

Any more info?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they call it 'mopping'. It's a very fine cutting compound applied by machine and it takes a very thin layer of the laquer off the car which is where the fine swirl marks and scratches are. Anything deep wont be helped though - the results can be impressive, but you cant do it too frequently or you'll end up with no lacquer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Adam