Best Car GPS Security Tracker

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I have been thinking it’s a smart idea to get a tracker for my car so if someone were to steal it I can get the police to it easily.

But there are so many different kinds. It’s confusing.

Any recommendations? Also I have a Blackvue camera hardwired to my car thanks to @DJAlix so don’t know if that makes a difference. I’m aware I can get an OBD tracker but if someone steals the car all they need to do is unplug that.

So something that can be hardwired- probably installed when purchased.

What’s wrong with the standard Audi one fitted? It tells you exactly where it is the same as any other tracker would

I have been thinking it’s a smart idea to get a tracker for my car so if someone were to steal it I can get the police to it easily.

But there are so many different kinds. It’s confusing.

Any recommendations? Also I have a Blackvue camera hardwired to my car thanks to @DJAlix so don’t know if that makes a difference. I’m aware I can get an OBD tracker but if someone steals the car all they need to do is unplug that.

So something that can be hardwired- probably installed when purchased.
Personally I would look in to getting an AutoWatch Ghost Immobiliser so no one can take the car in the first place. I know I would not want my car back if it was taken for a joyride.

https://autowatch.co.uk/products/security-solutions/autowatch-immobiliser-systems/68-ghost-product

Reactions: T-800 and s114hed
I just put the cheapest tracker in I could get as if it fails I’d rather not get the car back if it was stolen. Plus only reason I put one on is insurance to.d me I needed one on with them.

Thinking of a Clifford blackjax as I’ve have this on my other cars and they work really well.

What’s wrong with the standard Audi one fitted? It tells you exactly where it is the same as any other tracker would
Is there one fitted as standard ?? How do you access the tracking position ??

Is there one fitted as standard ?? How do you access the tracking position ??

Same question. Audi Connect / myAudi is a real mess. Especially the Android app - it tracks my position but seemingly not the cars. Duh. Maybe I'm missing something?

Reactions: sve170
Same question. Audi Connect / myAudi is a real mess. Especially the Android app - it tracks my position but seemingly not the cars. Duh. Maybe I'm missing something?
I have found the same, position of my phone is always listed as the vehicles parking location.

How have you got this to work? My Audi app just tells me where I am and gives the ability to record a parking location. Doesn't appear to track the car in real-time though...

I’m pretty sure this only works if you have MMI high, with built in SIM, otherwise it’s tracking your phone.....

Regarding Trackers, it usually comes down to how much money you want to spend, from a eBay special - stick a SIM card in and configure it (look for TK104 best of the cheaper end of the market) to a £1k state of the art with live online tracking, and an annual subscription fee to match :racer:

Reactions: jungle650
I’m pretty sure this only works if you have MMI high, with built in SIM, otherwise it’s tracking your phone.....

Regarding Trackers, it usually comes down to how much money you want to spend, from a eBay special - stick a SIM card in and configure it (look for TK104 best of the cheaper end of the market) to a £1k state of the art with live online tracking, and an annual subscription fee to match :racer:

I have the built-in SIM and you don't get tracking. The myaudi app is pretty useless and doesn't do anything remotely like other models. Poor show to be honest on a MY18 car...

As long as you link the app to your car (using the MMI code generated from the myaudi.com site) then, if you have a built in SIM, when you launch the app, using the locate my car feature, if should tell you where the the car is.

As long as you link the app to your car (using the MMI code generated from the myaudi.com site) then, if you have a built in SIM, when you launch the app, using the locate my car feature, if should tell you where the the car is.

As in the middle tab in this app? https://photos.app.goo.gl/PtYeIhFHZAdMp4Rd2. If so, no way. It's my location and not the car's.

Personally I would look in to getting an AutoWatch Ghost Immobiliser so no one can take the car in the first place. I know I would not want my car back if it was taken for a joyride.

https://autowatch.co.uk/products/security-solutions/autowatch-immobiliser-systems/68-ghost-product

Actually I am the reverse - if they take it then I want it back. I don’t want to have to press random buttons in my car to start it up. I just want to know if its gone where it is and the police can go get it back.

Reactions: rdj and RAF_S7
Actually I am the reverse - if they take it then I want it back. I don’t want to have to press random buttons in my car to start it up. I just want to know if its gone where it is and the police can go get it back.

That’s a funny look to have on it, haha.

Don’t you turn start stop off, cycle drive select every time you get in? The Ghost becomes totally automatic to the point you forget you’ve done it.

Ive just looked at my cars location using the mmi connect app on Android and it appears to show the correct parking location, have you tried using that app ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

No this isn’t the car location.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I really couldn’t care less about AutoWatch. Ill put the keys in a RF proof bag. I just want to get the car back.

Reactions: rdj
No this isn’t the car location.

+1 neither app shows the correct location.

You are both right, I thought that it was working as my car location was not the same as my phone, but once I got home from work my car location was still at work. Looks like you can use the app to store the cars parking location rather than it being updated live.

Has anyone got any tracker recommendations?

As right now it seems everyone is happy to lose there car if stolen rather than find it and get it back!

I have a tracking device from Rewire, not as good as a traditional tracker as its gsm only but its something.

I did some research and trackers are easily found, jammed or disabled and dont always give any discount on insurance.

The tealeaf's break in then use a scanner to locate a GPS tracker and rip it out .

Has anyone got any tracker recommendations?

As right now it seems everyone is happy to lose there car if stolen rather than find it and get it back!
Depends if 1) you can find it and 2) what the condition is like when the car is found ... ie, not in a ditch!

But no, I have no recommendation :)

AWG

Better to stop them in the first place, unless they hold a bazooka to yer head.......

Can't see why anyone in their right mind would want it back after scum have ragged it/crashed it/taken a dump in it........

Reactions: oli356, Tristan2 and D0C
So im in your boat mate, if it goes I want it back. I have AWG fitted and at the time the installer did a sweet deal on a tracker fitted as well so it covers for being towed away and perhaps being car jacked I can then track it. It's called Smart Track, he recommended it & comes with an app so i can check location whenever I want via google maps and only £12.50 a month for subscription or £350 for life off ownership.

I did do some research and if I wasn't to put AWG on it I would of probably of gone for Cobra (now linked with Vodafone) and got the Cat 5 then you get guaranteed police assistance when stolen and they can remote disconnect the engine so if a chase ensues then they would be sh+t out of luck cos the engine would be cut (upon Police request). Thing is that unit cost about 4 x times more then Smart Track and the subscription was a lot more expensive but you get more features so need to weigh it all up. In most cases mines going nowhere but but for the small extra charge whilst he was doing the AWG install I thought, why not!

Also in terms of ripping it out, he showed me how small it was and is tiny and he was in the car for an hour and ensured me it's buried within the vehicle. So yeah maybe they could get it out but wont be a quick job. It also seems to ping the app every hour with an update so I think it turns on and off so if you were to scan it, the car would be clean unless you scanned whilst it was updating. I could be wrong mind but its seems to be working like that, unless its the tracking company sending the update and car in constantly connected..

Hope this helps..

I would of probably of gone for Cobra

Hi.. "of", isn't a replacement for "have", even though it sounds a bit similar. They're different words with entirely different meanings. You mean "would have probably have gone for..". It's just that in the contraction form "would've", "could've", it almost sounds like "would of", but it really isn't. Thanks

That' s the same one I installed, works well and very good customer support, can wire in remote shutdown as well if desired

Reactions: jungle650
That' s the same one I installed, works well and very good customer support, can wire in remote shutdown as well if desired
Am in testing at the moment and the unit can be wir d to control anything which you “know” how to connect. Will be testing horn and hazards :)

Reactions: rdj, Dan_DJT, jungle650 and 1 other person
I am thinking of getting a Automatrics MTrack fitted this week - It is not just about tracking it if it goes missing - it is also useful to be able to check on it if on holiday or parked up in a public place such as a airport or hotel.

Watching this thread with interest (hope I spelt that right)..
Haven't had many quotes where a tracker was needed but as others have said I would like to get the car back, and with an auto shutdown facility it would prevent it from being ragged for miles...:busted cop:

Watching this thread with interest (hope I spelt that right)..
Haven't had many quotes where a tracker was needed but as others have said I would like to get the car back, and with an auto shutdown facility it would prevent it from being ragged for miles...:busted cop:

Trackers sometimes seem to ADD to premiums (insane) as insurance companies seem to prefer the idea of losing them altogether than be stuck with a costly and complicated repair bill.

I really don’t know if I’d want mine back and I think once stolen you do get a decision in the matter, there are so many undamaged stolen/recovered cars on Copart. If mine was taken a couple miles and parked up I’d have it back but if it had been driven to within an inch of its life and misused, it would never feel the same again as heartbreaking as that feels. I’d have to seriously consider my options though, because simple fact is I could not replace it with another.. even with the restart of production, the awful tied down specs wouldn’t allow me to replace it for what I want.

The safest option you can go for is Autowatch Ghost and a Cat 5 tracker. The Ghost offers so much reassurance, even if the keys are taken out of your pocket in the middle of a shop they get to the car and it wouldn’t start... that’s great peace of mind.

Reactions: JWAM
Trackers sometimes seem to ADD to premiums (insane) as insurance companies seem to prefer the idea of losing them altogether than be stuck with a costly and complicated repair bill.

I really don’t know if I’d want mine back and I think once stolen you do get a decision in the matter, there are so many undamaged stolen/recovered cars on Copart. If mine was taken a couple miles and parked up I’d have it back but if it had been driven to within an inch of its life and misused, it would never feel the same again as heartbreaking as that feels. I’d have to seriously consider my options though, because simple fact is I could not replace it with another.. even with the restart of production, the awful tied down specs wouldn’t allow me to replace it for what I want.

The safest option you can go for is Autowatch Ghost and a Cat 5 tracker. The Ghost offers so much reassurance, even if the keys are taken out of your pocket in the middle of a shop they get to the car and it wouldn’t start... that’s great peace of mind.

This; and gap insurance for forced or tow away theft.

Reactions: AudiNutta
The problem I have with AWG is that if they have broken in to get your keys do you want them threatening you?

I am not careless enough for this to happen; my keys are always on me. I have my spare in a faraday pouch. And I have been turning off keyless when I park the car. If they break in AWG doesn't keep me safe. And I am not losing my keys randomly.

But I do want them caught red handed. And to learn a lesson. Tracking allows that. So I wouldn't spend money on AWG or any immobiliser. Personally I think it is a waste of money. Tracker on the other hand I feel is worth-it. Also just to know where your car is if you're away for a while for peace of mind.

Reactions: hopgop1
Hi.. "of", isn't a replacement for "have", even though it sounds a bit similar. They're different words with entirely different meanings. You mean "would have probably have gone for..". It's just that in the contraction form "would've", "could've", it almost sounds like "would of", but it really isn't. Thanks
Get a life

Reactions: reefer110, Jonny B and Bonstio
The problem I have with AWG is that if they have broken in to get your keys do you want them threatening you?

I am not careless enough for this to happen; my keys are always on me. I have my spare in a faraday pouch. And I have been turning off keyless when I park the car. If they break in AWG doesn't keep me safe. And I am not losing my keys randomly.

But I do want them caught red handed. And to learn a lesson. Tracking allows that. So I wouldn't spend money on AWG or any immobiliser. Personally I think it is a waste of money. Tracker on the other hand I feel is worth-it. Also just to know where your car is if you're away for a while for peace of mind.

My thinking with AWG is the house alarm will be be waking people up in a 1/4 mile radius and will they really want to stick around any longer? The car isn’t easy to access itself...

I'm going to get a couple of Faraday pouches ready for the RS3. Can anyone tell me the keyfob measurements so that I get one the right size?:readit:

My thinking with AWG is the house alarm will be be waking people up in a 1/4 mile radius and will they really want to stick around any longer? The car isn’t easy to access itself...

My thinking also...

My house only has access through the front door and 1 door to the staircase which is dead bolted on a night.

Thus if someone came in, keys are in draw, alarms going off there straight in the car. AWG kicks in, are they really coming back in.

If they did they then have to kick an oak door through whilst I’m wide awake with the Police on route.

The risk has just increased massively and they’d be off. They’d be off when the car didn’t start tbf..

Each to their own but I’ve got AWG, Cat 5 & Gap so covered on all fronts and I sleep well at night

I have AWG and a tracker by SmarTrack both already installed on my car when I bought it. I feel AWG is a great bit of kit. Most will scan/steel keys but don’t want to be confronted or spend anymore time than they have to by trying to figure out how to start car.