Best Brake pads on S3

330_2_S3

Reaction score
As title suggests... what do people usually use as there replacement brake pads?

Is it the stock pads or do you guys get uprated ones....
I just wanted to gather a few peoples opinions and see what turns out to be the majority that people use on here.

Read a few reviews on here but nothing concrete.

According to the dealer my pads are "80% worn" when 2 week ago they were 60% according to them.... lol

How many miles have you got out of the stock ones?

For me stock ones do everything I need them to and they last forever! 60k miles on mine from new now!

How many miles have you got out of the stock ones?

For me stock ones do everything I need them to and they last forever! 60k miles on mine from new now!

WHAT! 60k From new and you still ain't replaced them? My car has only done 25k and it literally just hit 25k.......

Maybe the stealers are trying to pull a fast one..... I doubt I breaked 20% of my pads away within 2-3 weeks.....if i'd tracked my car I would understand! lol

Dealer told me 2 weeks ago that mine were at least 90% worn (car done 28K)

If thats the case, why arent the wear indicators on?

FWIW I will probably fit OEMs.

cheers
Paul

Tomorrow I'll be fitting some EBC yellowstuff pads with EBC rotors and a Goodridge brakeline, so probably in a few days I can tell you how do this stuff works in the S3

I warped the front discs and had to replace the pads too. Used Ferodo OE equivalents. Pretty much the same with less squeaking noises (I don;t know if this is due to the pads). The absolute benchmark IMHO opinion is the Ferodo DS2500 but it costs a lot. If you don't mind the cost, these are probably the best option. The mileage depends mostly in your driving style and use of the car rather than the compound used.

Mine have just been changed by Audi FOC (recently bought the car and they sold it to me with 2mm on the pads, and i made them change all the pads and discs) and that was on 48k on the clock.

Tomorrow I'll be fitting some EBC yellowstuff pads with EBC rotors and a Goodridge brakeline, so probably in a few days I can tell you how do this stuff works in the S3

I don't know about the rotors,but I can safely say the pads are no better than the OEM ones.

I had a set of Redstuff pads put in as a stop-gap before a bigger brake kit from VW Racing,and they were a waste of time and cash...they squeal horribly for a good few hundred miles,and whilst the initial bite IS better,the other aspects are exactly the same.

I would seriously advise saving the money and putting it towards something from AP,Brembo or VW Racing.

The absolute benchmark IMHO opinion is the Ferodo DS2500 but it costs a lot. If you don't mind the cost, these are probably the best option. The mileage depends mostly in your driving style and use of the car rather than the compound used.
On my previous 2 cars - 350Z and R32 - then the most popular choice for enthusiasts has definitely been the Ferodo DS2500. 2nd most popular was probably EBC Yellowstuff ( on 350Z at least, maybe not so much on R32 forum ).

I ve been also told to stay clear from EBC redstuff pads, however the reviews I ve read from the yellowstuff are quite good. I am mostly afraid about the rotors...In a couple of weeks I think I will be able to give an opinion. And in two months I will be entering with the car to the track...for sure thats gonna be the key test for EBC.

I ve been also told to stay clear from EBC redstuff pads, however the reviews I ve read from the yellowstuff are quite good. I am mostly afraid about the rotors...In a couple of weeks I think I will be able to give an opinion. And in two months I will be entering with the car to the track...for sure thats gonna be the key test for EBC.

Well...good luck.

If you've already bought the gear then it would be interesting to hear your feelings about it,but it's difficult to compare without having used that and other systems.

If you think my views on it are a bit jaundiced,you should ask devonmikeyboy for his as well.....the guy who used to keep my Cosworths running wouldnt use them either.....his advice was always AP,Brembo or Alcon,but unfortunately all of those are very expensive.

Are the Ferodo DS2500 OK to put on standard discs? Or does this increase the chance of warping the discs?

Another question pops into mind is how many miles does it take roughly before the brakes are bedded in?

Cheers guys

Yes 60k on the original pads and discs!!! Country road comute as well!!

Don't know why the S3 would use its brakes more than a 3.2... Similar power (as standard) and we with 3.2's keep getting told that the engine is too heavy upfront!

Also on a side note i,ve got say 2/3mm left on the pads!

Yes 60k on the original pads and discs!!! Country road comute as well!!

Don't know why the S3 would use its brakes more than a 3.2... Similar power (as standard) and we with 3.2's keep getting told that the engine is too heavy upfront!

Also on a side note i,ve got say 2/3mm left on the pads!

Oh dear! 2-3mm! Thats like its lasts legs! Better change before they start to bind :(

Can anyone recommend where to order Ferodo's or Red stuff from?

Yeah I,ve got some o.e.m. discs and pads ready to go on.... Pricey but well worth it for another 60k of driving!

My original pads & discs lasted 30k on the S3 and I thought the performance was great - worked really progressively and solidly.
Got them all replaced with OEM in April & am really disappointed with the performance, even after 3k of use. Nowhere near as solid feeling at speed as the previous set were. Not sure if they've changed the compound of the pads since 2007 due to squealing or something?

Seriously considering binning the pads & fitting the Ferodo DS2500s, so interested in what people say about pad / disc life when using 'em & like 330_2_s3, whether they increase warpage risks at all.

Well the wear depends on the driving style. The discs can be warped with OE pads too. The performance pads (for example DS2500) perform well at higher temps, making stopping more effective. So yes, the higher temps work against the long life of the brakes, but you are also on the brake pedal for less time since it doesn't lose its efficiency as easy as the OE pads. I hope it makes sense to you.

My original pads & discs lasted 30k on the S3 and I thought the performance was great - worked really progressively and solidly.
Got them all replaced with OEM in April & am really disappointed with the performance, even after 3k of use. Nowhere near as solid feeling at speed as the previous set were. Not sure if they've changed the compound of the pads since 2007 due to squealing or something?

Seriously considering binning the pads & fitting the Ferodo DS2500s, so interested in what people say about pad / disc life when using 'em & like 330_2_s3, whether they increase warpage risks at all.

Do you know the best place to source the Ferodo DS2500's? When I was on a memeber on the type-r forums....(sorry didn't mean to swear lol ) there was a forum discount and stuff at site where you could purchase them.

If you want me to try and see if I can get the local dealer to sent some to the UK (as a group buy) I can at least try, but it will be a little messy since I live overseas. Can't lose something from trying though... (I suppose :) )

If you want me to try and see if I can get the local dealer to sent some to the UK (as a group buy) I can at least try, but it will be a little messy since I live overseas. Can't lose something from trying though... (I suppose :) )

WHERE ARE YOU BASED MATE?

I Just bought a set of Black diamond front discs and Ferodo DS2500's for my 2.0T as well as stock Discs & pads for the rear, Hel braided hoses and Motul RF660 brake fluid. So far I only have the fronts changed but have already noticed a big difference over the stock that was on there before. I got the front discs & pads from http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk, they were the cheapest I found while I was looking and were very helpful as I initially ordered the wrong front discs.

I would probably advise a second opinion on your wear though, mine has done 51k miles and I have got a bit of a heavy foot.

I Just bought a set of Black diamond front discs and Ferodo DS2500's for my 2.0T as well as stock Discs & pads for the rear, Hel braided hoses and Motul RF660 brake fluid. So far I only have the fronts changed but have already noticed a big difference over the stock that was on there before. I got the front discs & pads from http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk, they were the cheapest I found while I was looking and were very helpful as I initially ordered the wrong front discs.

I would probably advise a second opinion on your wear though, mine has done 51k miles and I have got a bit of a heavy foot.

I think the dealers are trying to pull a fast one... anything to make a bit of extra cash.....they said 80% worn yesterday and 2 weeks ago they sed the front pads are 60% worn.... and thats like after 30 miles? period i don't think so.

Cheers for the website will check it out now

Do you know the best place to source the Ferodo DS2500's? When I was on a memeber on the type-r forums....(sorry didn't mean to swear lol ) there was a forum discount and stuff at site where you could purchase them.

No idea where to get them from, as I've just tried Motorworld, who say that Ferodo don't list DS2500s for a 2007 S3. I couldn't find them from various other internet sites I tried previously, so now I know why.
Anyone know any different? :search:

If not, what other pads are suggested? I get the "don't use EBC" idea, but have no experience of other companies...

No idea where to get them from, as I've just tried Motorworld, who say that Ferodo don't list DS2500s for a 2007 S3. I couldn't find them from various other internet sites I tried previously, so now I know why.
Anyone know any different? :search:

If not, what other pads are suggested? I get the "don't use EBC" idea, but have no experience of other companies...

Yeah I did the same, all I could find for my S3 8P 2007 was EBC..... Maybe we're goning to have to refer to stock?