Best brake pads for keeping rims clean

comdw

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I'm after a new set of front pads for my S3. I'm don't tend to drive it hard these days so I just want something at least as good as OEM but what I do want is something that won't put so much filthy dust on my rims!

Usually I'd look at EBC to achieve this but most of what I read is bad. Yellow stuff seems to be the best choice here as I heard they are at least better than OEM pads even when cold.

Ferodo DS2500s seem to be a more popular choice - anyone know what the dust output is like?

I have Green Stuff pads on my mini (i know its a total differnet type of car) which I drive resonable hard and they don't give off as much dust as the standard ones did

Thanks. I can't find any examples of people with good stuff to say about these pads though. Are they likely to be worse than OEM for braking performance from cold?

I'd MASSIVELY advice against greenstuff pads, they're a terrible choice for an S3!!!

I believe even EBC themselves made a statement saying they shouldn't be used on an S3, and several forum users had problems with the friction material comming unstuck from the metal backing.

I also found greenstuffs to be rubbish on every car I've tried. Initial bite from cold is basicly non existant, almost scary. get a bit of heat in them and they get really good for a few minutes, then a fraction more heat and they go off again big time.....

Really, seriously unimpressed. I've tried them in my Mini on solid 8.4'' brakes and vented 4 pots, and also on the front of my audi when running 288's. All 3 times they're been rubbish.

If you want some serious pads that work 100% EVERY time, get ds2500s. Cold bite is much better than standard, and with a bit of heat they become amazing. I've also yet to fade the fronts on mine in about 10k of mixed driving.

Well Ive not used them on the S3 and wont but he asked for the least amount of dust and they are probably the best.

I had them on the back of my last car (polo) as to be fair there is no braking force applied there at all.

thanks, looks like online retailers aren't even listing greenstuff for S3s anymore. Red stuff or Yellow Stuff only...

that's because they're awful!

I'd avoid anything EBC completely myself.....

DS2500's are AWESOME, or for a 3rd of the price, mintex extreme from Jabba are VERY good too

Anyone know the best place to buy DS2500's from? Gonna get a set for my S3 along with some goodridge hoses etc..

<tuffty/>

I'm looking at these as well - Tuffy, could you let me know how you get on with them compared to OE ones? - are you using them with std disks?

Brakes were done on my car by prev owner just before I bought it (new pads and disks) - think they used cheap and nasty 'Nippon No Grip' pads!

those pads on the TT shop are NOT DS2500's.....

As far as I know, the only places you can get 2500's easily are Badger Bill (I think it's Badger5racing) or jabbasport

Going to be using them on the std discs. From what I have read, DS2500's, Goodridge hoses and a decent fluid improve the brakes no end and better bang for buck than a big disc kit (not that I would turn one down at the right price).

From what I understand though is that they don't have brake wear wires so you would need to short out the plug to stop the dash light coming on.

<tuffty/>

those pads on the TT shop are NOT DS2500's.....

As far as I know, the only places you can get 2500's easily are Badger Bill (I think it's Badger5racing) or jabbasport

:slap:chuffin nubbies LOL!!

mintex extreme from Jabba are VERY good too

Mintex Xtreme would be an ideal compromise for me, however apparently they don't make them anymore! Any other suggestions in this price range? Are the standard mintex pads likely to be better than OEM or worse?

You can get DS2500 at motorsport world, you could also try black diamond discs to go with them i had this set up on my car before i put brembos on and it worked really well. make sure you get groved discs not drilled

I would try avoid using the brakes altogether... That would prevent dust from building up in the first place :jester:

I'll get me coat...