Best brake pads and discs ?

matt.russell

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Brakes are little but low so they need changing!

Anyone know of any good brake disc's and pads ?

Thanks
Matt.

I ran MTEC brake discs on my B7. Great discs and good price. I opted for the silver edition drilled. A mate of mine went for the non-finished an they looked rusty all the time around the hub so worth going for the silver/black edition ones.

Reactions: matt.russell
try eurocarparts or carparts4less.
they sell some good quality brake pads/discs in the Textar,Ate and,Pagid brands which are the ones i will fit when i need to change mine.
and they are also good value for money.
by the way i do not have shares in either company but speak from my past experience over the years on buying pads from them for my bmw,vw and previous audi cars.

haha I don't think anyone was accusing you of advertising, only asking for opinions :)

Every EBC disc is warp city.

Very happy with Pagid discs with EBC Redstuff pads.

Yeah I had my doubts about the ebc discs.. How much am I looking at for a set ofpagid discs ?

Reactions: matt.russell
Silly question but I typed in my number plate for both sites and they give me 3 different options for PAGID front brake discs (OU13 XLK).

How can you tell which one is for my car?

Silly question but I typed in my number plate for both sites and they give me 3 different options for PAGID front brake discs (OU13 XLK).

How can you tell which one is for my car?

yes there are 3 types of pagid discs,

depends on the spec/size of your disc,click on the part details tab on the eurocarparts or carparts4less website and a dropdown screen will show the exact details for that disc-what is important is the PR Number which is 1LT,1LY for the first disc,1LA,1LB for the second disc and 1ZT for the third disc.
you can find which one fits your car if you look on the specs list for your car on the inside of the first page of your service booklet--there you will see a list of 3 letters/digit codes such as 1LT which fits my car-yours might be different.
add the promocode SAVEME75 on the carparts4less website at checkout and you will get 7.5% discount
hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
Ah great thank you!

Just checked the sticker in the boot and it's 1LT and 1KW :)

yes, that sticker in the boot is another place to find the spec codes for your car-thanks for reminding me!

Morning,

Does anybody else have any other recommendations, my fronts were picked up as an advisory on my recent service a few weeks back, so think it's prudent to get them changed in the not too distant future.

I've seen the MTEC discs (Black Edition) recommended on here a few times, and they look pretty good too!

What's the most suitable pads to run with these?

Many Thanks

I used Mintex pads with those discs as they came recommended and you can also buy a "kit" with them directly from MTEC

I used Mintex pads with those discs as they came recommended and you can also buy a "kit" with them directly from MTEC

I read on a few other forums that these MTEC discs squeal, and is a common problem, does yours squeal?
Also the black finish comes off after a couple of miles, but the edges stay black and rust free?

It certainly does look good, but I would hate to hear the noise every time I brake.

I never had any problems with squealing, and yes the black comes off almost immediately from the main surface of the disc but the edges and grooves/holes remain black and rust free. I would take a pic but it was on my old B7. I havent needed to change the discs on the new car as it has just barely done 3000 miles ;-)

Quite keen on the MTEC, provided they don't squeal!

Just been on MTEC's website, how do I know if I need the 314mm or 320mm discs? (Apologies if I'm missing the obvious).

Tried searching through the kits, but still offers me either the 314mm or 320mm discs?

Why two different sizes & which one do I need? Car in question is 2010 A4 B8 2.0 TDI (143)

Very strange, there does seem to be two sizes. At a complete guess I would assume that the 314mm might be for the 143 and the 320mm for the 170, but I would definitely check first to be sure!

Reactions: GjrBartlett
Hopefully this is now resolved, according to MTEC's new website (mtecbrakes.com instead of mtecbrakes.co.uk).

Using the search facility, I now have the option of just one size disc, the 320mm & various pad choices.

At last!

Ah good. I forgot they seem to have two websites for some bizarre reason

I know, I only realised when I logged onto the older site which directs you to the newer site, thankfully that has a better search facility.

Looks like I'll be getting a set ordered soon, so much to do! Waiting for a reply back from my local garage, on their availability to get them fitted.

Also awaiting delivery of my RS4 grille & which will get fitted this week along with Ice white fogs & interior LED kit hopefully.

I've gone for the ice white goods and interior leds. They really sweet the car off for a much more modern feel imo

How easy were the fogs & LEDs to change?

I presume the fogs are done through the arches? Any issues with fitting the interior kit?

(apologies slightly off topic) Gareth.

The fogs took about 5-10 minutes each to fit. No problem going from the arch for me. The interior leds were very easy to fit. I did it on the b7 and the b8. The boot one was the most fiddly, otherwise a 1 minute job per bulb!

Easily done in a lunch hour :)

Very true all done in yesterday's lunch hour, really pleased with the results.

Back on track...

MTEC Black Edition Discs & Mintex Pads ordered yesterday.

What's peoples thoughts on upgrading the hoses, I'm thinking Goodridge, a quick search online & found them for £92 for front & rear, so think they could be getting ordered later & I guess whilst the wheels are off, the hubs & calipers could do with a lick of paint!

So much still to do...