Benjamins S2000 air filter mod.

I wonder if anyone can give me a bit of advice. I just changed the air box for the filter, as shown in the guide. What I didn't see in there was what we do with the air box.

I've removed the lower half, but I've had to leave the top half in the engine bay because there's some sort of cable connected to it and it doesn't appear to be easily removable, and I don't want to break something!

It looks like this:

IMG_1081_zpsaf16189a.jpg

It doesn't seem to go anywhere and the only thing I can imagine that it does is check whether there is actually air in the air box, or maybe a temperature sensor, but there seems to be one of those after the baffle.

So, what do I do?!

Thanks in advance,

dirtychinchilla

Sorry to have to bump this, but does anyone have any idea about my question in this post? I just have the top of the air box loose in the engine bay at the moment...

Edit: Sorted it - apparently it's just an air hose. Who knew eh!

For those interested, you just have to pull on it really hard until it disconnects, and then try and cable tie it somewhere so it's not flapping around.

Last edited:
Just went out yo do mine today but what do i do with the pipe shown below when i remove the airbox ? Also i am putting one if daves3's heat shields on
Uploadfromtaptalk1394802697352
This is also another pic of where it is
Uploadfromtaptalk1394802771235

That's your SAI mate, just cable tie it out the way. I cable tied mine to the bracket to the left of it holding the silver valve. Some recommend covering it with netting or tights. Or even buy a small mesh filter with a 25mm hole. I just left mine though.

nicks: That#s the air feed to the Secondary Air Intake system which feeds air into the exhaust gas stream (yes?...)

Either way. For that hose, either keep it and put a filter on it or do the SAI delete and get rid of the whole system

Reactions: fanta
To reply to the guy about the odd dv noise, I had this with a cheap 007 non Bosch version as the part that connected to the tip seems to go out of shape, got a Bosch one now and it feels and sounds far healthier. It sounded like air was stuck if I hold the throttle at a certain rev. I expect others with more knowledge than me will have more info to add.

might have to order on eif they are red, previous one i had was red with black plastics

Eurocar parts still have these for £12.90 :) what's the best size reducer to get for this to fit an a3?

You need an 80mm to 70mm reducer to fit one of these to an A3.

I got sick of the noise mine was making so refitted the airbox. The black plastic red filter one I had on did look nice though!

Silicone Polyester Reinforced Hose - Straight Reducer - 83mm to 70mm

This is what you need for an A3. I bought it along with a couple of jubilee clips for each end, although the fit with that is so tight on the filter end, I'm not sure you really need the jubilee clips. I haven't bothered to put it on that end.

Thanks for the heads up on the Euro Car Parts price, guys.

I'm off to Euro tomorrow morning to pick up my just reserved S2000 filter (hope it's a red one).

Not been too happy with the £125 Pipercross Venom CAI which I bought around 4 months ago. Probably a great filter on a lower end car but I felt it was holding my S3 back. Live readings on the gadget I have plugged in showed the MAF g/s were very low. I have a £15 open cone filter which I fitted today, which immediately gave me more g/s plus a 4 BHP increase over what I could get with the Pipercross fitted.

Also going to try my Dads standard air box - I need to get to the bottom of what's causing my car to be underpowered. Either a badly considered mod somewhere (cos no leaks anywhere) or a sh!te remap. Going to try and fit this Honda filter inside my old (slightly cut to bits) standard air box, in the hope it keeps it looking OEM.

I'll report back with what benefits I've had from this £13 mod.

OK... Fitted mine this morning... I have quite a cut back Badger5 TIP so I managed to position my new S2000 filter into the bottom of the standard air box frame... and because I've cut some chunks out the MAF side of the airbox I was able to situate and rest the top of the airbox over it.
Looking in from the MAF side of the box there's not going to be much air from the hotter side of the engine bay that's getting sucked in. I've put a cold air feed into the cooler side of the box... surely every little helps.

On the little diagnostics gadget I've got the MAF g/s went up by almost 10 from the cheapo cone filter I had fitted previously, and was again up on the Pipercross Venom CAI.

Also.. the BHP readout (which whilst still far too low considering it's supposed to be remapped) is now up to 215bhp..... up from 208 on the Pipercross Venom CAI. It feels like it's breathing better and there's a bit more urgency in the pull.

I'm now going to refit my old MAF sensor and see if there's any improvements to be had... I bought a new one about a month ago but I wonder if it's a dud. Worth a try.

My opinions are this is a very worthwhile mod for anyone looking to gain a bit of induction noise without the risks of MAF contamination when using a non-paper element and also more power / pull. Win Win for me. :thumbs up:

Can't for the life of me figure out how to use the quote thingy. So here is my diy quote.
Quote S3-CARL "Not been too happy with the £125 Pipercross Venom CAI which I bought around 4 months ago. Probably a great filter on a lower end car but I felt it was holding my S3 back. Live readings on the gadget I have plugged in showed the MAF g/s were very low."

I had a Venom on my MK4 GTI once-upon-a-time and I thought it was a pile of crap! Where it attached to the reducer on the MAF, it melted! Pippercross said it was because I done the hose clip up to tight, but I didn't. Really bad design I thought!

This S2000 filter was on my S3 when I bought it a little while ago, but I am not sure if I like it or not because of the colour and it being paper. Plus it seems a little dirty now so is probably due a change. I am tempted to get an R-tech induction kit because they have done tests on them and have produced induction kits which they say give the best results. Plus, I do like the foam filters! Although, the red S2000 filter does look rather tempting....decisions, decisions! :indecisiveness:

Yeah I had a problem with the reducer splitting... had to wrap it up with silicone tape which after being heated up set really nicely and made it solid. I then had trouble with the filter element inside the filter blowing itself outwards! Totally restricting my air intake and making the car kangaroo. Had to use some wire and make a little frame that sits inside the filter and keeps the foam where it's supposed to be.

Because I chopped in to my standard air box in order to properly encase the Pipercross Venom filter inside it (kept the engine bay looking a bit more OEM I was still able to put the Honda S2000 filter into the box and nip up the screw for the lid on the far right of the box... which keeps it looking neat, whilst also letting a bit of sound out.

Performance is definitely up, especially now I've been running it for a couple hundred miles and everything's adjusted to the new airflow.
Definitely more pull in the higher revs, something I felt I'd lost with the Pipercross Venom filter.

Picked mine up from Euro and it was the red one with white plastic... only reason I kept mine within the standard air box was so to prevent it getting wet in adverse weather conditions.

For the money being spent I don't think there's a better filter option.

And considering that I'd ran both a Pipercross panel, plus a Pipercross Venom (not sure if the panel was oiled but the Venom definitely was coated in the stuff) my first MAF (bought in November 2013 and covered only 6,000 miles) wasn't working as well as it should. New MAF with a paper element should reduce the need to replace the MAF as often which is an economy within itself.

Definitely one of the better mods I've performed, only beaten by the 2.0 TFSI Coil pack conversion which made a world of difference to how well the car runs.

Also tried my Dads MAF / Standard box with Pipercross Panel... I thought it felt better than the Pipercross Venom CAI, pulling better in higher revs but there's a world of difference with the Honda S2000 filter fitted.

One thing I found was that the fit over the MAF with the S2000 filter wasn't too snug. I had to apply a single layer of gaffer tape around the MAF, which sealed it nicely.

Picked mine up from Euro and it was the red one with white plastic... only reason I kept mine within the standard air box was so to prevent it getting wet in adverse weather conditions.

Thanks for replying to my post. I decided to order another S2000 filter from Euro today because the one that is on my S3 looks pretty dirty. When I got there to pick it up, they brought out a flat panel filter!! They didn't have the proper one and messed up the part numbers...again. In the 4 times I have used Euro for parts for my S3 they have either given me the wrong information, or given me the wrong part :banghead:. The bloke who served me has ordered me the correct one (hopefully) for Monday.

Definitely one of the better mods I've performed, only beaten by the 2.0 TFSI Coil pack conversion which made a world of difference to how well the car runs.

It is interesting you say that, because I have had my eye on the kit of these that Awesome GTI sell, and I was wondering if they are worth getting. Do you have any advice about them, or any info. Cheers mate!

Yeah I bought mine from Awesome too... bought the Red Coils with the Red adapter plate (cost £139.99 inc. delivery)

My old coils weren't giving me any problems and the old spark plugs had only covered 5,000 miles or so... but I still feel that the car has been running / idling better since these new coils were fitted. My little ODB Race Diagnostics tool didn't pick up a single misfire on a 90 mile trip yesterday and car just seemed to be a little more responsive after upgrading to these coils from the originals. Worth £140 in my opinion... but you'll likely need to delete your N249 Valve (or relocate it all) since these coils sit a lot higher and prevent you from getting the engine cover on with all the gear to the right hand side of the block.

Yeah, mine had the vacuum reservoir. Only reason I had to delete mine is because I was looking for splits / leaks around all the pipe work.. I moved the N249 valve just slightly and the two main pipes coming off of it completely broke off (plastic T piece had become brittle).

At the time I had no item what the valve was.. so I was sh!tting myself thinking I've knackered something that was really important. After finding out what the valve was I realised I'd noticed in peoples signatures on this forum that they'd bypassed the valve. Emergency averted although I didn't have a plastic T piece at the time to connect to the N112 valve and Inlet manifold so I had to use one of the bits I'd just removed (a little ball shaped valve with three connections)... I pierced the bit inside with a decent sized screw so I could blow through it and voila I had a makeshift T-Piece.

You'll definitely know if you've had the valve deleted because the top of your engine will be clear of clutter.

You'll definitely know if you've had the valve deleted because the top of your engine will be clear of clutter.

As this is my first S3 I have to look for a picture of an unmodified engine bay and compare it to mine.

Take your engine cover off... If you have a load of pipe work over the two right hand coils then you still your N249 plumbed in (at least thats how both mine and my Dads car were / are set up).

Take your engine cover off... If you have a load of pipe work over the two right hand coils then you still your N249 plumbed in (at least thats how both mine and my Dads car were / are set up).

I have found a picture of an S3 engine which has the reservoir on it, and mine doesn't, so it has been definitely done! So my next mod is going to be the coil packs and a catch can, then I should be alright for a bit...hopefully lol

I'd like to try the catch can mod... but seems like a lot of work in getting various parts off to get proper access (or am I wrong?).

One of them mods that you simply get someone else to do who's done the job a few times before.

I'd like to try the catch can mod... but seems like a lot of work in getting various parts off to get proper access (or am I wrong?).

One of them mods that you simply get someone else to do who's done the job a few times before.

I fitted a 42 Draft design catch can on my golf and it is simple enough, you just need to take the metal tray off the inlet manifold so you can get access to the pcv pipe work and rip it all out, I presume it is the same or very similar on the S3 to the golf. The catch can pipe work only goes to 3 places on the engine, the oil housing (I think that is what it is called, or the sump) the main block and to the hocky puck thing on the turbo intake pipe. There are a fair few threads on the net about how to do it. I used one ad done it fine first time and I am certainly no expert by any means lol

My issue is I have a badly worn / rounded off bolt on the right hand side of the metal tray below the inlet manifold.
Has so far made a lot of jobs much more difficult than they needed to be.

Need to take the car to my favourite garage and let him have a go at getting it out and replacing it with a normal 10mm bolt.

Anybody know where I can buy the red and black plastic one?
On ebay they are like £29.00, don't fancy paying that much.
Thanks

Last edited:
just found this thread any body fitted this on TDI ?

THANKS

Just fitted this as I thought I'd give it a try and all I can say is,
s2000 filter > bmc cda,
better throttle response and my butt dyno says more low end torque and a fraction of the price of a bmc, brilliant mod

I will fit mine soon just want to paint it black as I have the red and white one, was going to wait until I have a b5 tip before I put it on but I am tempted to just put it on now, would you recommend using heatshield as well? Just to hold the maf in place and stop everything moving around.
Cheers

I will fit mine soon just want to paint it black as I have the red and white one, was going to wait until I have a b5 tip before I put it on but I am tempted to just put it on now, would you recommend using heatshield as well? Just to hold the maf in place and stop everything moving around.
Cheers
I fitted mine without a heat shield because from what I've researched on our engines it makes naff all difference, I just cable tied the little prong on the end to the loop for the standard air box

Ye I've read a lot of that aswel, think I will fot it once painted and make my mind up. Cable ties win everytime.

Reactions: Arwyn Palmer
Got mine one today, less than 5minutes and it sounded ok just when revving. Going to wait until roads get abit quieter then take it for a spin. And I kept the bottom part of the airbox in just to keep it more secure.