Benjamins S2000 air filter mod.

Must have been a large 80mm then... as the one I bought had no chance. The link above is spot on, I ordered mine from the place linked earlier in the thread

Must have been a large 80mm then... as the one I bought had no chance. The link above is spot on, I ordered mine from the place linked earlier in the thread

lol put some elbow grease into it

No amount of elbow grease would make it work... It was submerged in boiling water and lubed up, there was NO way it would go on. They must have been different

That's very strange my MAF was 75 and the filter was 80, but with a 70-80 adaptor (as suggested from a few people) I managed to get it on, used a littl force but no lube or anything was needed, you may have been sold the wrong size...

:(

Silicone hoses are a non-reactive rubber and are capable of holding 300*+ whilst retaining its overall properties...What exactly were you trying to do with a bowl of boiling water?

Science is upset by this.

Reactions: neoxr2i, m19lte, Rainbird and 1 other person
What do I do with the heat sink looking cable?

This just fits with an 80>70mm reducer, had to work hard to get that focker on! Worth it for a nice tight fit (that's what she said).

What do I do with the heat sink looking cable?

This just fits with an 80>70mm reducer, had to work hard to get that focker on! Worth it for a nice tight fit (that's what she said).

dude I done mine last night. Omg could not get it on. Had to make a little slit to give me some extra movement.

Mine is clipped in nice and tight, there is definitely a bit more poke from doing it and it inspires my heavy foot with the roar. It's still subtle enough to cruise by unnoticed, especially near home where you don't want to be labelled as a 'boy racer' especially as I'm not a boy now ;)

I didn't have to slit it, just sit it on something sturdy and get about 3mm in on one side, then squeeze towards the other side to get that side in, then slowly push harder to get it all the way in.

I'll continue reading down the 'must do mods' :) - I have some s3 callipers so need some pads to go in them, on the shopping list for this week!

Mine is clipped in nice and tight, there is definitely a bit more poke from doing it and it inspires my heavy foot with the roar. It's still subtle enough to cruise by unnoticed, especially near home where you don't want to be labelled as a 'boy racer' especially as I'm not a boy now ;)

I didn't have to slit it, just sit it on something sturdy and get about 3mm in on one side, then squeeze towards the other side to get that side in, then slowly push harder to get it all the way in.

I'll continue reading down the 'must do mods' :) - I have some s3 callipers so need some pads to go in them, on the shopping list for this week!

I just could not get it in lol, the wife is always saying that aswel lol

I stuck a clip on the filter side aswel just to make sure the little slit has no chance of causing issues !!

Im on the hunt for S3 pad carriers, will get the pads and disc when l find those as they seem to be very ellusive lol

What l really want first is a samco, forge TIP. I just cant find a cheap 1 lol Got paid off recently so buying car parts is not high on the wifes priority list :(

Im bidding on a forge DV on ebay, if l get that then the TIP then its time for a stage 1 :)

Interesting read

I prefer a more oem look, anyone tried incorporating an oem box around it?

Believe Tuffty put the OEM box around a jetex cone filter but wasn't entirely pleased with the results so swapped back to a panel filter

Believe Tuffty put the OEM box around a jetex cone filter but wasn't entirely pleased with the results so swapped back to a panel filter

He put a Jetex cone filter in an OEM box and left it like that? Not sure where you got the last part from?

Oh...Could've sworn I heard him say that in another thread...perhaps I am mistaken!! I'm sure Tuffty will be along shortly to reprimand me :)

Oh...Could've sworn I heard him say that in another thread...perhaps I am mistaken!! I'm sure Tuffty will be along shortly to reprimand me :)

IMAG0495.jpg

IMAG0496.jpg

Its true... I wasn't entirely pleased with it but instead of going back to a panel filter I relocated the battery and fitted a bigger cone filter :)
20121005_180434.jpg

20121005_180640.jpg

20121005_180710.jpg

While its a Jetex filter the principles remain for hiding the S2000 filter although I think its a bit wider at the base than the normal Jetex...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Sam_
ordered 2 today from ECP at a dizzy cost of £9.62 +vat, one for ron and one for stock :)

So have you lot nabbed ALL of these then?!? Can't for the life of me find one from a reputable parts provider. eGay seems to be the only way...?

I just went direct too Honda for mine £20 all in! I do have a question tho what material are your s2000 filters made of? Not the actual filter but the body of the filter is it hard plastic? If so how do you make it fit an s3 is mine doesn't fit all that well?

I just went direct too Honda for mine £20 all in! I do have a question tho what material are your s2000 filters made of? Not the actual filter but the body of the filter is it hard plastic? If so how do you make it fit an s3 is mine doesn't fit all that well?

Hard plastic. Very tight but it fits over the maf ok

I'm getting one of my mates to make me up a reducer today at his work. My car is currently in the garage today, and he want's to know diameters etc. Does any one know what exactly we're working with here? Maf > Air Filter: inside Dia. maf = 70mm > inside Dia. Filter 80mm? (A3)

Filter 80mm
A3 maf 70mm
S3 maf 80mm

Sorry I changed my maf so it's an 80mm on my a3. You would need a reducer for a standard a3 maf. eBay is good for that

That engine bay looks so good, Tuffty. Get the damn thing back on the road already :D

I've just read through this thread and I think I'm going to attempt this installation - my first mod. I'm a complete novice, so Can i just confirm with you guys what I need exactly. I have an A3 8L MK1 2003 (1.9 Tdi).

SILICONE HOSES Straight Reducers Hose 70-86 2.75" 3.38" TURBO HOSE blue | eBay

| Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Retailer (if I can get it)

Now the reducer comes in blue, but I'm hoping for a black one. Does anyone know where I can get this? Otherwise, would it be safe to paint the filter with some high temperature paint?

If I manage to get the 70-86 mm reducer, I take it I won't need a jubilee clip?

You've mentioned oil in this thread a few times...does anyone have any advice on exactly what kind of oil, and how to apply it? All I can imagine is covering my lovely new filter in loads of black oil!

Cheers

if you search around ebay a bit you should be able to find a reducer in black no problem. i'm pretty sure you dont need to oil paper filters so dont need to go worrying about that. and i would definitely use a jubilee clip either end. i tend to over use them a lot but i dont have any leaks so they are doing a good job!

Hi Lavis, thanks for replying. I really can't find one on eBay at all! That blue one is the only reducer in its size, never mind the colour.

Does anyone know where I could get one?

I'll grab jubilee clips too, thanks a lot. Do you need to lubricate the reducer at all, or do you just jam it on there?

Edit: Euro Car Parts don't have any stock of the filter, and apparently nor do their suppliers, though CAF said they can get it no problem, at £36.

Last edited:
Nope, it is a bit tight but fits in perfectly and lines up with a little bracket so you can tie wrap the hoop in the end of the filter to it.

Excellent, sounds good to me. Now I just need to track down a reasonably priced filter. I found it on GSF but stock was due in 4-5 days ago.

E: Ordered the reducer and the clips from ASH - found a discount code very easily too :D

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone can give me a bit of advice. I just changed the air box for the filter, as shown in the guide. What I didn't see in there was what we do with the air box.

I've removed the lower half, but I've had to leave the top half in the engine bay because there's some sort of cable connected to it and it doesn't appear to be easily removable, and I don't want to break something!

It looks like this:

IMG_1081_zpsaf16189a.jpg

It doesn't seem to go anywhere and the only thing I can imagine that it does is check whether there is actually air in the air box, or maybe a temperature sensor, but there seems to be one of those after the baffle.

So, what do I do?!

Thanks in advance,

dirtychinchilla

Did this a while ago now to my S3, anyone else notice like a hooting sound like an owl if you're balancing the throttle - say for example on a motorway cruising at 70-75? Is this normal?

I was thinking it might be due to the revs sitting on the spool point of the turbo ~2750RPM ish. And the diverter valve then recirculating the boost straight away as the throttle is neither held fully on nor lifted fully off. Therefore the DV is in a open state as the revs and throttle are kept constant. Could this be correct?

Ive defo not noticed this on mine bud. Just for your info.

Did this a while ago now to my S3, anyone else notice like a hooting sound like an owl if you're balancing the throttle - say for example on a motorway cruising at 70-75? Is this normal?

I was thinking it might be due to the revs sitting on the spool point of the turbo ~2750RPM ish. And the diverter valve then recirculating the boost straight away as the throttle is neither held fully on nor lifted fully off. Therefore the DV is in a open state as the revs and throttle are kept constant. Could this be correct?

What DV do you have? my old one (some stupid baileys valve that came with the car) i think used to kinda get stuck open a bit and used to make this noise, binned it off and fitted a forge valve, never had the problem since

Mine the OEM one. Brand new too, just replaced it when I was doing the cam cover and chain adjuster gaskets. Could it be possible I have a leak on the filter where it joins to the MAF? Even though it's a perfect fit.