Benjamins S2000 air filter mod.

Guess its time to remove my stock box again and run this filter :D

Was that with a 3" TIP fitted too?

Are cone filters that much noisier than an aftermarket panel filter and airbox?

The airbox is like a sealed unit, no sound, inline with making your Audi more refined, but to release power, it needs to be removed for a more free flowing cone filter. Even I was surprised I made a 10-15bhp gain with a B5 TIP and Jetex cone filter, and it's noticeable on the road aswell.

Well I never really thought about the air passing by the turbo to hit like 100 degree's +, Its a simply theory which I overlooked :keule:

Why is it that people all of a sudden seem to be surprised by the gains from a cone filter from an airbox? This is old news people :readit:

its like fashion (like I know fashion lmao) anyhows... its cyclic.. What goes around comes around

new fad... is in fact an well used one

Well I never really thought about the air passing by the turbo to hit like 100 degree's +, Its a simply theory which I overlooked :keule:

Discharge air on several cars I have logged are 150-160'c inlet airtemp at inlet to intercooler.. so slightly hotter again on turbo outlet..

that's seriously hot, considering we're often getting 20-30 degrees at the throttle body.

How did you log those Bill? Using some form of K-type wedged in between pipes? I'd be very keen to measure temperature change and pressure change across my core one day.

Thanks for posting those results Bill, something new learnt from this thread... Increased MAF G/S > Colder air into turbo which leaves at double the temperature!

Aren't they foam?
yes mate its foam outside with a stainless inside and can be cleaned very hard to find . but i also have a standerd one turned up to day so ill try both

Last edited:
that's seriously hot, considering we're often getting 20-30 degrees at the throttle body.

How did you log those Bill? Using some form of K-type wedged in between pipes? I'd be very keen to measure temperature change and pressure change across my core one day.

yes, thermocouples under a silicon pipes and logged with my dyno.
(I dyno test setups for other companies, pressure drops, AIT temps pre/post fmic etc etc)

Its what I do.. Test stuff.. What works makes it to be a saleable product.

The airbox is like a sealed unit, no sound, inline with making your Audi more refined, but to release power, it needs to be removed for a more free flowing cone filter. Even I was surprised I made a 10-15bhp gain with a B5 TIP and Jetex cone filter, and it's noticeable on the road aswell.

Does that still stand when not using a heat shield?

Does that still stand when not using a heat shield?

To be honest, I got a heat shield because 1. S3dave on here makes them, and he will post you one, if you send £25(I think that's how much I paid?) to him via Paypal, 2. It keeps everything still, so my MAF doesn't flap about and break from vibration. How effective it is at reflecting heat I have no idea?

To be honest, I got a heat shield because 1. S3dave on here makes them, and he will post you one, if you send £25(I think that's how much I paid?) to him via Paypal, 2. It keeps everything still, so my MAF doesn't flap about and break from vibration. How effective it is at reflecting heat I have no idea?

Good point well made.

Also there's a lot of people getting excited about cold air feeds which really aren't that effective with an open cone filer.

Cheers chaps. So a heat shield for practical reasons not out right performance alone. Cold air intake not worth bothering with.

Just wanted to bump this back up.

Told my mate about this and he went out and bought this k&n off ebay: K&N Air Filter E-2435 | eBay

He said for the price its only equivalent to 2 and half paper filters so its a well worth investment and he reckons it should flow slightly better than the paper one.

Now i was going to just buy the paper one but i think hes got a point.

Whats yours guys thoughts, yea or na?

Well the whole point of the oem s2000 filter was for oem filtration, with aftermarket performance comparible to the jetex, that was the hype.
if you wana try that try it. Whats it like inside? Velocity stack?

I thinkthe thing is the s2000 filter as you say has some type of velocity stack built into it.

Not sure karl, he order it last week and i wont see him until next weekend at a push so unsure, ill get him to send me some pics.

Plus no oil on the filter to mess with the maf?
exactly. Which is also The reason to opt for paper oem s2000 over any aftermarket cotton. Its arguably better for the maf.In opting for a aftermarket s2000 like a k&n youre losing the benefits of the oem one, and may aswell just stick with what you got.

Tried to tell him but he ordered it anyway. Had alook on the net and it does seem s2000 owners change over to k&n's if they want a drop in filter.

Ill wait and see what its like when i see him.

Reactions: adam8747
I dont think the gains of the s2000 filter is down to the paper filteration, feom what ive read i believe it may be down to its size and design?

Oil from the cotten filters is typically only an issue when the owner over oils it after a clean... JR and Green Cotton filters are very lightly oiled... K&N used to be quite heavily oiled but the ones I have seen Bill use on the RS4 MAF velocity stacks he uses for BT builds look better...

<tuffty/>

Tried to tell him but he ordered it anyway. Had alook on the net and it does seem s2000 owners change over to k&n's if they want a drop in filter.

Ill wait and see what its like when i see him.
s2000 ownera have an N/a engine and have an airbox enclosing it, so prob do see bebefits in a drop in k&n.

I dont think the gains of the s2000 filter is down to the paper filteration, feom what ive read i believe it may be down to its size and design?
i wasnt implying the gains are down to paper, im saying its impressive it performs as well as aftermarket ones being paper, likely down to size and design.

Honda filters have been very good on flow over aftermarket filters for years. EP3 for example:
Redline did a feature in 2007 Dec on air filters on the EP3 civic, it tested flow results and power differances:

Here you go:
Flow Rate Actual BHP output
ITG 75.2% 188.75bhp

Blitz 74.4% 188.25bhp

Green 73.6% 187.1bhp

Honda 72.6% 186.95bhp

K&N 74% 186.35bhp

Spoon 74% 185.15bhp

Whats interesting is that the Spoon filter was far and away the most expensive, and ironically the worst....

Please can someone with this filter not fitted yet do me a favour and take a measurement.
Im looking for the outside diameter of the inlet.

Need to find a silicone coupler to fit to my 70mm maf.

Cheers in advance :)

Gave my Jetex cone a clean today - it was really straight forward and was back on the car within 8 hours - fresh as a daisy and lightly oiled.

The cleaning solution on the other hand was black! I've only had the Jetex on the car 9 months (mind you I have done about 15,000 miles in that time!)

Please can someone with this filter not fitted yet do me a favour and take a measurement.
Im looking for the outside diameter of the inlet.

Need to find a silicone coupler to fit to my 70mm maf.

Cheers in advance :)

You will need something roughly 84mm, it will be tight but it will go. There is an 85-75mm reducer on ebay which would tighten up ok too.

Snowy few days off work.

Gutted. ECP derby out of stock. Got some sheet metal. May mock up a heat shield.

JS Performance will make up the silicone coupler for the same price of their off the shelf items.
Just need to wait for the posty to deliver the cone for measurement.

Thought id join the s2k club, engine bay is looking like a bit of a rainbow now, think i might buy another one but in red from the link above if only it was posted 30 mins earlier lol

Photo 1
Photo 2

Anyone want the red version of these? I just put it on the car and I'm not keen on the sound! So its back off again.
Think I'm getting to old!

I can post it today, looking for £15

Anyone want the red version of these? I just put it on the car and I'm not keen on the sound! So its back off again.
Think I'm getting to old!

I can post it today, looking for £15

Back to aftermarket panel filter? Did you feel any gains when running it?

Is the noise like this:

Last edited by a moderator: