Benefits of a jetex cone filter

Rs6mick

Reaction score
Hi people can someone with some knowledge please tell me what the benefits are of a jetex cone filter over a standered air box with a performance panel filter as I'm finding it hard to get my head round it

thanks

Ok I can understand that it might suck in more air but even with the heat shield it would still suck in hot air rather than the air box is completely sealed sucking in cold air to my understanding these cone filters only give you more top end power but loose you bottom end power and torque unless you have a 600bhp monster the reason I ask is because I'm not used to tuning the s3 engines and only want to do mods that will gain more power not just cause it looks good and makes noises

If your car is standard eg original software on your ECU then a performance panel filter is fine as the car is not really asking for much more air as such.

As you increase performance eg a stg 1 map etc the car asks for more airflow hence the need to upgrade the air intake (look at tuffty`s build thread as with 400bhp you need a mahoosive filter).

So if your going stage 1 or more you need to increase the amount of air flow. So first of a good sized cone filter will help, then a bigger TIP like the B5 80mm jobbie.

For cooler air flow you need to sort the SMIC setup and replace with a FMIC as this is how you get you AIT`s down and gives you less heatsoak hence more performance.

I have a cold air feed to my jetex filter running from my passenger side foglight area, but alot of people say this is actually no needed on turbo cars as by the time the air goes through the turbo etc it will just get compressed and hot anyway.

Welcome to the internet.

Top right is a bar called search, if you type "1.8t cone filter" all of your questions would be answered.

Tuning principles are universal, the air is about to go through a few hundred degrees of turbo charged heat, the heat soak from the engine bay is marginal and makes no real world power difference.

Reactions: JonnyDerv, superkarl, slowcoach3 and 3 others
Haha i do miss you jardo, when you coming back to vag talk lol.

Ok I see your point what's the best filter to go for if its the jetex does anybody know the part number of it

thanks

Supposedly the best bang for your buck is the S2000 paper filter as they are like £15 to buy. So you could maybe get one of those and see what you think.

I have the revised version of the Jetex filter (either buy direct from Jetex or Badger5) as the revised version has alot thicker rubber as the original design of the filter was prone to splitting (i had one it split within a week)

If you want a something thats a one stop hit then buy the whole 80mm TIP including filter and heatshield from Badger 5.

Thats the old design thats prone to splitting so dont waste your money.

The only place to get the revised version is direct from Jetex (you can contact them via their website) or Badger 5 on here. They are about the same price as the ebay one you posted. So just contact either of those and tell them what car you have and that you want the revised version with the thicker neck and bobs your uncle :)

I cleaned my Jetex and got more power from that then I did from an s2000 filter. So worth it!

Reactions: kwistof, Sam_ and s3dave
Do you know anyone who sells the heat shields Dave? I can't find a nicely formed one anywhere.

Reactions: s3dave and Dani_B19
I will be fitting a heatshield and jetex in the next week and am currently running standard airbox with uprated panel filter so will report difference. I personally think the heatshield with the jetex filter and a silicone tip looks the part when you open the bonnet. Guess it depends if you want the oem look or not.