benefits of 18" alloys

emery1990

Reaction score
is there benefits of having 18" alloys, (handling?)

Im going to have my wheels sprayed and touched up later this year, but there 17", itll costs £350, should i put this towards 18's instead maybe?

I've heard lots of people say that they handle better on 18"s - but I can't say personally. I've resisted for 6 years - but check out my sig!!!

18"s in a week or two - then I'll be able to comment!!!!

It might be due to being able to go with a lower pofile tyre that may make 18"s (apparently) better?

I've heard lots of people say that they handle better on 18"s - but I can't say personally. I've resisted for 6 years - but check out my sig!!!

18"s in a week or two - then I'll be able to comment!!!!

It might be due to being able to go with a lower pofile tyre that may make 18"s (apparently) better?

Its the profile of the tyre more than anything I belive

Rob

You'll slow you car down!. Mines much quicker off the lights with the 16's on it (feel properly quick!).

On 18's though the handling is better through bends but comfort is thrown out of the window!. Short stiffer sidewalls stop tyre squirm and the wider tyres give a bigger foorprint so grip in theory should be better.

However buy ***** tyres and your car will handle badly so quality boots is a must.

T

I got 17's but I bout tyres with a re-enforced side wall. Not driven on 18's but I figured that if the side wall flexing is the problem with having a not so low profile tyre, then getting a re-enforced one may help. Tyres are Eagle F1 Asymmetric - 225/45 17 XL [94 Y iirc] the XL is the re-enforced code, and the load index does go up by a couple of points.

So really in that case 17" would be better as they are lighter and as wildbruce has done getting reinforced side walls would give the benefit of 18" but with less weight.

Well I cant say for sure it is the same, theoretically speaking there are loads of forces to take in to consideration, I just did not want to drop a wad of cash on new wheels, and needed new tyres anyway. I don't exactly push the limits, but the handling is good, although I am on std. suspension, so not sure if it would be the same if I upgraded teh suspension?

18's look better :)

Which lets face it is why everyone buys them ;)