Before you buy a new car, please read

CanadaA3wales

Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: mister.c., MikhailCompo, S32B and 1 other person
I've just been reading that thread, the one that shocks me the most is the Corsa from JCT600, you'd think from a big name like them it would be checked out fully!

Get an HPI check done. And if it’s from a dealer ask them to do so as a condition of purchase and make sure you see the report.

a HPI wont cover these check - BTW not a ssociated with vcheck at all

for the cost of thsi check I would do this

a few good ones on there especially the police x5 and also recently the aston martin

also its not just to highlight issues its for sellers to also demostrate their car is straight

works both ways and for a dealer i am not sure why this check wouldn't be done but most will come from a BCA auction so hard to do

Get an HPI check done. And if it’s from a dealer ask them to do so as a condition of purchase and make sure you see the report.

I had a HPI check from the dealer when I bought my A5, but it didn't show that it had been in an accident a week or two before I bought it! It had a new rear quarter panel and bumper. Unfortunately, it was wet on the day I went to see it so the badly colour matched respray was hard to spot.

Point is, you can't be too careful and don't just trust a dealer because they're a dealer. I take a paint depth gauge with me when looking at a new car now

Reactions: mister.c. and S32B
I had a HPI check from the dealer when I bought my A5, but it didn't show that it had been in an accident a week or two before I bought it! It had a new rear quarter panel and bumper. Unfortunately, it was wet on the day I went to see it so the badly colour matched respray was hard to spot.

Point is, you can't be too careful and don't just trust a dealer because they're a dealer. I take a paint depth gauge with me when looking at a new car now

The OP was about write-offs. HPI shows that up. My (Audi approved) car has had the rear offside door resprayed. No idea why, though luckily the colour match is perfect, it’s just a bit orange peely, and about twice as thick as stock.

I work for a claims/insurance comp. and it would be near impossible to know if the car you are buying was involved in a accident unless they did a subpar job at repair stage.
Yes insurance companies forget to register vehicles on MIAFTR, we are only human, but it is rare, maybe 1-100 which is too many.
We personally are in the progress of an automated system which will take away the aspect of human error out of these things, watch this space in the next year or two.
Best things to do is Check, check and re-check.
Dont be rushed into a purchase.
If something doesnt seem right, then it isnt almost 100% of the time, trust your gut.

Reactions: S32B
Having had a few cars repaired over my driving life, only one was not rejected first time, and that’s from approved repairers and for things I (as a non expert) could see. I take your point but if bodyshops are repairing to an insurance enforced budget and timescale but a non-pro car enthusiast can spot then something isn’t right - likely moreso under the skin.