Before I place the order...

Adrian76

Reaction score
Greetings All...

Currently just finalising the finished Spec for my next car... it will be a big step up from the Vauxhall coffee cup I currently drive! I will be leasing through my business.

Wanted to run through the spec and see if there are any bits that are a MUST HAVE... money permitting of course.

Looking at:
A4 - Avant S-LINE
1.4TFSI S Tronic
Colour - solid Black or White (can't decide....)
Standard 18" alloys
with Comfort Suspension
With Tech Pack
Extended Ambient Lighting and Audi Rings (Lights) on the door

Hear mixed reviews on the stereo, but the B&O is a big price and having had a bad experience from large Amp in an Evoque draining the battery over 35 minutes reluctant to go for this.

Anyone feel there are any additional items that you can't live without?

Thanks again
Adrian.

Hi and welcome! If you're using the car all year long might I suggest heated seats and heated steering wheel, the latter which I don't have but wish I did!

Hi NicoS85 and Happy Grumps - thanks for the comments.

I have heated seats on my BMW Z3, a must have, I don't have them on my Coffee Cup though and not sure I have ever thought I wish I had them, HUD, never actually driven with HUD - but is it not one of those things until you have it, you don't actually need it?

Slightly contradicting myself, as I am fairly sure I don't need Ambient lighting, but the extra cost is so small and looks great thought why not ;)

Will, look at adding these and see where the price goes too :)

Cheers

The standard interior lighting is actually very good. I can't say I miss the option of 2 more LED strips and the ability to change the colour.

My best mate has a BMW 640 and raves about the HUD, I was a bit 'meh' about it until I actually gave it a go. IMO the better ones are brilliant and I'm not sure I'd want a car without it now.

Storage Pack. The nets and hooks etc are useful but the bit is the extra compartment under the headlight switch. Nowhere else to put sun glasses otherwise!

Hi & welcome.
Seriously, I'd get a better engine rather than fart about with displays and lights. Negotiate a discount and the 2.0TFSI is only£1800 more.

Hill hold is awesome in an auto and costs little more than a tank of petrol. The standard hifi is mightily impressive, in my opinion better than BMW's optional HK system in the 3 series. B & O has mixed reception. HUD I use at work, they are OK, fun even, but in a 1.4 at 70 mph? Nah!

Have you considered the sport? It has that nice comfort suspension, leather and a Sport 2.0/tech pack would be under £500 more than the 1.4 S-Line/tech pack.

Whatever you get you'll love the quality.

Hi & welcome.
Seriously, I'd get a better engine rather than fart about with displays and lights. Negotiate a discount and the 2.0TFSI is only£1800 more.

Hill hold is awesome in an auto and costs little more than a tank of petrol. The standard hifi is mightily impressive, in my opinion better than BMW's optional HK system in the 3 series. B & O has mixed reception. HUD I use at work, they are OK, fun even, but in a 1.4 at 70 mph? Nah!

Have you considered the sport? It has that nice comfort suspension, leather and a Sport 2.0/tech pack would be under £500 more than the 1.4 S-Line/tech pack.

Whatever you get you'll love the quality.

I'd much rather have the 1.4 Sline than a 2.0 Sport (in fact, that's what I've got :D)

The performance of the 1.4 is surprising - it is an excellent engine. To me, the extra for the 2.0 was just not worth it - at least not for my usage.

Dealer told me not to bother with Hill Hold with the Auto. Then again, I don't know what I'm missing!

Hi and welcome! If you're using the car all year long might I suggest heated seats and heated steering wheel, the latter which I don't have but wish I did!

Heated seats are standard with the sline now.

I wouldn't bother with the HUD especially if you wear polaroid sun glasses as you will not be able to see it. Extended light, yes, storage pack, yes, hill hold, a must with stronic and lastly folding mirrors as you can easily tell then when it's locked.
I'd also get the white as black will be a pain with swirls showing up..

Last edited:
I'd add the folding mirror option too, though where you often park will probably dictate its usefulness. The fact the mirrors automatically fold is handy too.

Heated seats are standard? That's good to hear! I took the 1.4 out for a test drive and I have to say, I have no issues with it being under-powered, I think the extra's you get on the S-Line and styling is more attractive to me personally.

Hill Hold... Not sure why you would need this in an Auto?

Second child on the way so the more storage the better as these small creatures really take up so much room. I'll certainly get the storage pack.

Folding door mirrors adds an additional £6 a month so I think maybe my accountant would allow that!

It appears Hill Hold Assist is now standard anyway. Brochure lists it as a cost option, but configurator lists it as standard and my BE order has it listed as standard on order tracking.

I'd much rather have the 1.4 Sline than a 2.0 Sport (in fact, that's what I've got :D)

The performance of the 1.4 is surprising - it is an excellent engine. To me, the extra for the 2.0 was just not worth it - at least not for my usage.

Dealer told me not to bother with Hill Hold with the Auto. Then again, I don't know what I'm missing!

Much rather have a lesser car? 40 less BHP and 70 fewer torques with for (officially!!!) less fuel & CO2. Ah yes you say, fancy indicators that you'll never yourself see. Bigger wheels so harsher ride. Sport now has Leather, Heated seats and high MF steering wheel.

I don't deny the performance of the 1.4 "is surprising" but the 2.0 is even "more surprising". The standard equipment on the Sport is now very good.

what are your views on colour? I was almost certain to go for Black, but then I look at white ones, and they do look really good in White!

Greetings All...

Currently just finalising the finished Spec for my next car... it will be a big step up from the Vauxhall coffee cup I currently drive! I will be leasing through my business.

Wanted to run through the spec and see if there are any bits that are a MUST HAVE... money permitting of course.

Looking at:
A4 - Avant S-LINE
1.4TFSI S Tronic
Colour - solid Black or White (can't decide....)
Standard 18" alloys
with Comfort Suspension
With Tech Pack
Extended Ambient Lighting and Audi Rings (Lights) on the door

Hear mixed reviews on the stereo, but the B&O is a big price and having had a bad experience from large Amp in an Evoque draining the battery over 35 minutes reluctant to go for this.

Anyone feel there are any additional items that you can't live without?

Thanks again
Adrian.

Audi Sound System is good, how about a metallic paint option however? I think that the Lumbar Support is standard on the S-Line, but best to check.

Lumber is standard on the S-Line, the metallic paint option is almost £18 a month more - just feel that money can be spent better elsewhere.

Lumber is standard on the S-Line, the metallic paint option is almost £18 a month more - just feel that money can be spent better elsewhere.
What is the price you are being quoted, I assume you've checked for quotes in dtd, orangewheels, coast2coast etc...

The best price I have been quoted is £260, which appears to be by far the cheapest anywhere. Tried my local Audi dealer who are are £270. This is from Arval (I think that's the right spelling). 6 Months upfront, 8k a year.

Folding mirrors with dimming function are only available when electric seats with drivers side memory are selected. £900 more than folding variety!!!

Just think long and hard about what you want. No such thing as a must have option.

@Adrian76 Matrix Lights are a must have item over everything! They literally turn night into day. They really are amazing.
Next up would be the virtual cockpit. If you are getting the Tech Pack then its a no brainer. The light and vision pack is £900 and includes the matrix lights, virtual cockpit and extended LED interior Lights.

I wouldn't pay the £75 for the Audi Rings. Get them from Amazon/eBay for £12 instead.

Stick with the Audi Sound System as it is really good when it beds in.

Much rather have a lesser car? 40 less BHP and 70 fewer torques with for (officially!!!) less fuel & CO2. Ah yes you say, fancy indicators that you'll never yourself see. Bigger wheels so harsher ride. Sport now has Leather, Heated seats and high MF steering wheel.

I don't deny the performance of the 1.4 "is surprising" but the 2.0 is even "more surprising". The standard equipment on the Sport is now very good.

I spend most my time sitting in traffic where 40 more BHP would do me literally no good at all. The real-world difference is pretty much nothing for most people. The financial difference is large.

I have the comfort suspension on mine - the ride comfort is superb and I get the bigger wheels still. The minor difference in MPG (isn't it just 1mpg on the combined cycle?) is made up for hundreds of times over by the much lower monthly cost.

Dynamic indicators are cool and you know it, even if you can't see them from inside the car. You also get the LED headlights and rear lights, lumbar support, the S-line exterior styling, nicer steering wheel (different to the high-function MF one on sport), more interior styling differences, stainless steel pedals...

Definitely not a "lesser" car!

Reactions: RaZ A4
The best price I have been quoted is £260, which appears to be by far the cheapest anywhere. Tried my local Audi dealer who are are £270. This is from Arval (I think that's the right spelling). 6 Months upfront, 8k a year.
Hmmm. That's the same as I'm paying for the car in my signature on a 4 year PCP, also at 8K miles. Although I paid £5k up front too.

Storage Pack is the number one thing I wish I'd added. I hadn't realised there were no cup holders or seat-back nets in the rear, in fact I haven't been in a car that's lacked these for well over a decade!

I can also vouch for bringing competition to your local dealer, I ended up with a better price than I got elsewhere.

I wouldn't get any options on a lease as you pay the entire cost although that probably mirrors actual depreciation over 3 years. I am not sure leasing through the business is very fiscally efficient compared to a personal lease, depending on circumstances. I am not sure your haven't missed the boat on low 1.4 leases that seemed to have stopped at the end of Q4 2017. Manual 1.4 S-Line Avant were just over £6k for 24 months then, not sure about auto. Sorry to be the bearer of only bad news though !!!

Attachments

• hud_sm.jpg
    hud_sm.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: Paul Golding and Happy Grumpz