Facelift Beeping sound after turning off?

Mark_86

Reaction score
For some odd reason that I haven't figured out, when I turn my car off, I sometimes get a beeping sound. It's quiet, sounds like it's coming from the engine bay... anyone else have this or know what it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is quite common if it is the same sound I'm imagining, with various cars. Quite a long beep / squeal potentially of varying tones / keeps coming and going within seconds?

Never really looked into what it might be.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I think I've heard the same sound when I've just gone to the car and opened the bonnet to top up the screen wash (not started the car). I don't know what it is but thought it might be a pump of some kind. Thought it slightly strange with a cold engine and without the ignition on. The only thing I could think of was that maybe the fuel pump pressurises the fuel system when the car is unlocked (and before the ignition is turned on) in preparation for starting -I have no evidence for this, it's just a guess (and probably wrong). Hopefully somebody can tell us what it is!

Last edited:
Reactions: azibux1
Think it's the ECU talking to the car in some way, mine does it too. Lots of high pitched wines, squeals etc too.

Think it's the ECU talking to the car in some way, mine does it too. Lots of high pitched wines, squeals etc too.
Yup that's it! Better description than mine lol

latest

Reactions: S., AllStar, Benji34 and 4 others
It just sounds like a few different length beeps to me lol. I wondered if it was something to do with the turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually only just noticed this tonight in the garage... figured it was some alarm/immobiliser thing as I'd just locked the car.

lol it’s not the ECU - since when do computers sound like C3PO (as above). It’s either hydraulics/pump. My Golf R does the same sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quite often it can be fuel pumps priming or the car moving swirl flaps, ABS pumps or throttle bodies etc to check everything is correct / calibrated. Think of it like a pilots pre flight checks when they move the rudder etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ormesome
Quite often it can be fuel pumps priming or the car moving swirl flaps etc to check everything is correct / calibrated. Think of it like a pilots pre flight checks when they move the rudder etc.

Yeah i thought fuel pump priming myself too. Happens on my diesel A3 so must be a part shared by all A3's and not engine specific.

Yeah i thought fuel pump priming myself too. Happens on my diesel A3 so must be a part shared by all A3's and not engine specific.
To clarify it'll be the lift pumps in the tank priming rather than the engine mounted high pressure one (which won't pump until the engine rotates). Under bonnet it could be the ABS pump priming.

After switching off could be an electrical coolant pump circulating the coolant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ormesome
I was under the bonnet today. I needed to take off the engine cover to check which size socket is required to unscrew the oil filter housing (32mm) because I am considering doing a DIY early oil change. With the engine cover off the high pitched noise was much more obvious. It carried on for a few minutes and then stopped. Seems to be to do with fuel pump but it's certainly engine related.

Reactions: AL_B