beep when locking

Crazypete00

Reaction score
Hi, few years ago i did the vcds (then vagcom) mod where it beeps when you lock it and the windows go down with the key fob.

However since last week it no longer beeps when locking, can anyone give me a clue where i can start looking so i can sort it out?

Mine did exactly that, it was the alarm unit on its way out, well the internal batteries leaking to be precise.

The alarm does the chirping too.

I didn't get any quiet warning beeps from the unit either before it went belly up.

It could be alarm related, either the siren batteries are on their way, or it could be indicating that something is not allowing the car to fully arm.

When you lock the car, does the led on the door lock flash to say the car is armed??

do the indicators flash when you lock it still?

On mine, sometimes when hot it doesn't recognise the drivers door as being shut, so the alarm won't arm and it won't beep. Slamming the door again usually sorts it, but it can be related to any number of small obscure things.

To test the siren/alarm, just lock it with a window left open, and after the system is armed wave your arm inside the car. If the hazards flash, but no alarm sound, then it's the siren most likely.

If the hazards don't flash, then it's probably the alarm not arming?

I've had the door lock fault too, although not on my current S3, and replacing the lock cured it.

thanks for all the tips, hopefully get a chance to look later if this torrential rain stops

so had a look just now, the indicators flash when locking and the red leds on the locks stay solid for about 30 seconds then after that they flash as normal. i tried to set the alarm off by leaving the window open however waving my arm inside didnt set anything off.

where is the siren and the usual suspect battery located?

Sorry to butt into your thread, but does someone have a link to the guide for mod which enables your windows to shut when the car is locked?

so had a look just now, the indicators flash when locking and the red leds on the locks stay solid for about 30 seconds then after that they flash as normal. i tried to set the alarm off by leaving the window open however waving my arm inside didnt set anything off.

where is the siren and the usual suspect battery located?

It's behind the panel on the left hand side of the boot down below the rear light and the batteries are inside it.

A3_Alarm_Siren_zpsa9d43844.jpg

Heres a link to the tt forum showing replacing the batteries, but the pictures don't seem to be working at the moment. Edit, their is a pdf download in the link which has all the pictures.

The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - How to - MK1 Alarm Siren fix

Last edited:
Reactions: Crazypete00
thanks for the info, i have the PDF.

Note to Mods: is it worth sticking the PDF into the stickies? i tried to attach here but the file is too large and exceeds the limits.

Sorry to butt into your thread, but does someone have a link to the guide for mod which enables your windows to shut when the car is locked?

the windows dont **** when you lock the door, you lock the door then hold the lock button until the windows close.

do you have vcds? the free one will work. - this is the guide i used Waks Wide Web

I thing the indicators should still flash if the alarm is activated, so it might not be a battery issue with the sounder.

check vcds as this will tell you if the alarm has been triggered as well

mark

the windows dont **** when you lock the door, you lock the door then hold the lock button until the windows close.

do you have vcds? the free one will work. - this is the guide i used Waks Wide Web

I tested it this morning, actually, and they do shut when I hold the button down for about 5 seconds, only problem being that I have to hold it down the entire time. I'm an absolute noob, so no, I don't have vcds, but I'm not sure that I need them considering the windows do shut, if slowly.

ye thats how it works, you have to hold the button down. looks like someone has coded it previously otherwise it wouldnt do that.

for the sake of £10 its worth getting a cheap cable and the free version of vcds so you can look at fault codes and measure blocks, if you plan to keep the audi for a while then for £100 the genuine cable will easily pay for its self in the long run.

I tested it this morning, actually, and they do shut when I hold the button down for about 5 seconds, only problem being that I have to hold it down the entire time. I'm an absolute noob, so no, I don't have vcds, but I'm not sure that I need them considering the windows do shut, if slowly.

That's how it's supposed to work on the 8L, there is nothing else you can do to make it work as a 'one touch' open or close system I'm afraid.

ye thats how it works, you have to hold the button down. looks like someone has coded it previously otherwise it wouldnt do that.

for the sake of £10 its worth getting a cheap cable and the free version of vcds so you can look at fault codes and measure blocks, if you plan to keep the audi for a while then for £100 the genuine cable will easily pay for its self in the long run.

Problem is, I don't have a laptop! I bought one of those bluetooth readers (can't think what they're called) and then found it that they don't work with iPhones. PITA! What's the cable called, our of interest?

That's how it's supposed to work on the 8L, there is nothing else you can do to make it work as a 'one touch' open or close system I'm afraid.

Fair enough! Better than nothing :D I got bored half way through, though. Combine that with the prevalence of broken clips, it's not perfect haha

Problem is, I don't have a laptop! I bought one of those bluetooth readers (can't think what they're called) and then found it that they don't work with iPhones. PITA! What's the cable called, our of interest?

Fair enough! Better than nothing :D I got bored half way through, though. Combine that with the prevalence of broken clips, it's not perfect haha

the bluetooth ones are ODB2 and is the wrong one. it will still read fault codes but wont work with VCDS.

this is the cable that will work with the free version of VCDS VAG GROUP USB COM PORT OBD2 II KKL ECU DIAGNOSTIC CABLE LEAD VCDS-LITE 409 | eBay

If you want a OBD2 reader that will work with the iphone you need a wifi one (still doesnt work with VCDS but will work with Dash commander) Wireless/WiFi ELM327 OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Scan Tool Scanner-iPhone ipad PC | eBay

Last edited:
Sorry for taking over the thread, Pete. Thanks very much for the info though. So I'd still need a laptop for the VCDS reader, but that cable would work. Thanks :)

With regards to the ODB2 reader, you say I need a wifi one, but do you then need to be on a wifi network for it to work? This isn't a problem as I can just sit outside my house, but I'm just curious. The second one says it's for android?

no probs, its all related stuff.

Yes you will need a laptop for VCDS. I managed to pick up a netbook for pennies only has 10” screen and windows xp but its great for having it in the car.

With the wifi OBD2 dongle you don’t need to be on wifi, from what I gather the dongle broadcasts its own wireless network and you connect your phone to it just like you would to a router. I’ve not tried it myself, I will be buying one soon though so I can get the gauges on the ipad/iphone in the car.

And ye ignore the second one its Bluetooth only – didn’t notice when I posted it.

Haha good :) I'm looking a netbooks now, good plan! OK so ignore that second one ODB2 reader.

What I've been thinking for a while, though, is whether I could install an android phone in the dash beneath the headlight switch, which would always be connected to an ODB2 reader via bluetooth, to give live readings of everything. I'm guessing this is possible.

ye pretty much the same plan as i have, for now i have a phone holder and an old android phone and the bluetooth dongle. use it at a boost gauge and to monitor other stuff. I want the wifi dongle now so i can use it with my iphone and ipad mini.

Sounds excellent :) the main reason I want one is so that I can see my MPG. I'd want it built in though. I wonder if it would be possible to do it with a raspberry pi and a tiny screen...hmm

do you have a DIS? that will show you the MPG.

there are a few raspberry pi car computers around, im sure i've seen some running OBD software, so shouldn't be too difficult. Getting a screen with good enough dpi to show the obd program might be difficult....

after all the cost and effort setting it all up you might be better off with a liquid gauge Race Diagnostics Ltd - liquidCUBE

but if your like me and dont like to take the easy road i would defo be interested to find out how you get on with a raspberry pi build.

What's the DIS?! I have a degree in Mech eng, but practical mechanics never came into it, hah! Massive shame tbh

Yeah the liquidCUBE would be a lot easier, though it is quite pricey. I get a lot more satisfaction, like you, from spending ages fiddling around with something to try and get it to work :p

Raspberry pi is in the sky...(sorry) so I'd be surprised if it ever happened.

what car do you have? probably should have asked in the beginning :)

DIS = Driver information system, a little screen by the clocks (S3's have them not sure on A3's)

I love the idea of the Rpi, i have so many potential uses for it however ive never bought one. Cheapest option is probably a cheap android phone, Samsung S2 is fairly cheap these days with a nice size screen paired with the bluetooth dongle. you may even be able to mount it in the air vent if it will fit.

you can have the obd software on it, GPS, store your music on it....

I have a 2003 A3 8L, but it doesn't show much information on the screen at all. It's crap really. I've got an auto :-(, so it just says which gear you're in and whether you've got your boot hanging open.

yeah I mean, you don't need a fantastic phone to get this software running, it's just got to be reliable. If you had a 32GB SD card in there too, that would be great for your music. I'd like to have it properly fitted in though. My iPhone connects to my stereo and I do music and GPS through that.

it would look slick having a android phone built into the dash with GPS on tho. carphone warehouse have a Samsung Fame on sale atm £50. might be ideal as a project. :)

yeah that's quite a neat looking phone, could work well. there's the question of controlling when it's on or off etc, though

on/off is easily enough sorted. atm i have a 12v switch feed into a hidden cigarette type socket with a usb out. so i can just plug in any usb charging cable.

I ran my old road angle off it but now its great for the iphone or the android phone, charges when car is running then I used to just leave it on with the screen off as it ran off its own battery.

I did look at removing the battery and wiring a switch 12v feed to the battery terminals on the phone (using a step down as required) but never got round to it. what I have now works for what I need.