Been caught speeding

Scott

Reaction score
I'm expecting to get flamed for posting this.... but here goes.

Yesterday I got a 1.8t A3 courtesy car from Audi. I had to go to Birmingham and I was running a bit late. Got on the M6 at noon, it was dry, the sun was fairly low but I thought visibility was good and there was very little traffic - so much so that I thought the motorway must have been closed before the junction somewhere. I decided to stick to around 95 to make up time. I noticed one car ahead and one car behind, quite a distance away, so I didn't pay much attention to it. The car continued to follow at a distance, so I slowed down, and next thing it's flashing me to pull over. They averaged me over a distance at 100.31mph. I don't deny I was speeding but I'm not 100% on the speed.

Gutted to say the least. Just got to wait for the summons to turn up. :keule:

Dunno why you should get flamed - we've all exercised the ability of a hire car/courtesy car from time to time!

You could always go down the route of demanding to see the calibration certificate for the device they used to ping you - if I recall correctly, they have to calibrate it every day to prove its accuracy.... If its not been done that day, you "may" have grounds for it to be thrown out... Although I will check with a mate of mine who is a Traffic Rozzer....

Most speedos generaly over read the faster you get, well, Most cars i've driven and test it on but thats not been many new cars, so i might be wrong.
Like dilligaf said, if in doubt ask them to prove it.

To catch you properly, dont they need to be stationary when doing the scan?

Another option is to move house. I worked for me. :)

Dunno why you should get flamed - we've all exercised the ability of a hire car/courtesy car from time to time!

Driving a hire car/courtesy car quick is one thing, getting caught is another, you could say you was unlucky, which is true in most circumstances, but if you do get caught doing an illegal speed, you simply have to hold your hands up!

Not flaming you at all Scott, but you have just openly admitted to driving at 'around 95' on a public forum mate, the legal national speed limit in the UK is 70, so you was speeding regardless. Between 71-99mph is a 3point + £60 fine in most cases, but over 100mph is pretty much a court appearance and most likely a ban if the NIP arrives on the doorstep, so be prepared to get yourself a traffic Lawyer to represent you and see what he can do, first 30 mins is free.

Now I'm no angel myself Scott, I was done doing 59 in a 30 a few years back, had it been 60, it's a ban for sure, but because it was 59, I got 6 points and a £350 fine, reduced to £250, as I had legal representation, which cost me around £150 I think, so I paid an extra £50 overall to pretty much gaurantee I could stay on the road.

Good luck with that Scott, anything over 100mph is an instant ban as far as i know

We've all done it, just unlucky to get caught doing it

It's quite coincidental they caught you JUST over 100mph, when the instant ban territory is anything over 100...

If your speedo was reading 95mph the law on speedo is 10% +2mph so you could have been travelling at 106.5mph (that's as far as I am aware anyway)

When it gets to court get your boss to write the court a letter explaining how you need your license for work and stuff like that, might get away with 9-12 points and a hefty fine.

Last edited:
Driving a hire car/courtesy car quick is one thing, getting caught is another, you could say you was unlucky, which is true in most circumstances, but if you do get caught doing an illegal speed, you simply have to hold your hands up!

Not flaming you at all Scott, but you have just openly admitted to driving at 'around 95' on a public forum mate, the legal national speed limit in the UK is 70, so you was speeding regardless. Between 71-99mph is a 3point + £60 fine in most cases, but over 100mph is pretty much a court appearance and most likely a ban if the NIP arrives on the doorstep, so be prepared to get yourself a traffic Lawyer to represent you and see what he can do, first 30 mins is free.

Now I'm no angel myself Scott, I was done doing 59 in a 30 a few years back, had it been 60, it's a ban for sure, but because it was 59, I got 6 points and a £350 fine, reduced to £250, as I had legal representation, which cost me around £150 I think, so I paid an extra £50 overall to pretty much gaurantee I could stay on the road.

I know mate, I did it, I got caught, my bad - unlucky I got caught, but that's a risk I took. I openly admit to around 95 because that's what I was doing (it may have crept up to 100ish, I don't know) but I have no reason to hide or deny it. It's pretty fcuking stressful though & it's already changed my driving style on the motorway, I'm a bit more relaxed, I think, so it's worked already.

im sure the rules changed to over 93 and its a ban but not 100%

cos of your work distance you travel ask the court for special circumstances hardship
im on 15 points at the min i had 9 and got a speeding 110.2 mph on the m5
but as i need to drive they gave me 6 points and a £2500 fine
as if i was banned i would have lost my firm etc etc
and flame away for my speed but it was a clear night with no cars around etc
and they dont need to calibrate the incar camera for speed as its measured over distance and time a video from 1 point to another like a bridge sos box marker etc
not like the handheld speed guns

Just a point to note, the law on the speedo doesnt exist any more in new cars due to the way some modern cruise controls work. People didnt like on the jaguars where the cruise says its set at 50 and the speedo reads 55. so the easiest thing is to bring the speedo down to accurate levels reading 1mph over to ensure accuracy in all conditions.

So I can tell you now in a Jag or LR the speedo is what the car is doing.

if you were speeding then just admit it, but obviously also ask for the calibration certifiacte. When you go to court, make sure you have good reasons as to why you should not get banned, importance of car etc. Show remorse, and you will be justt fine, the decsision to ban or put points on the license is upto the magistrates.

About 6 years back i was doing 105mph, i already had 7 points on my license from years back, and i only got a 14 day ban. I showed remorse and made it clear to the magistrates that my work is dependand on a car.

Just a point to note, the law on the speedo doesnt exist any more in new cars due to the way some modern cruise controls work. People didnt like on the jaguars where the cruise says its set at 50 and the speedo reads 55. so the easiest thing is to bring the speedo down to accurate levels reading 1mph over to ensure accuracy in all conditions.

So I can tell you now in a Jag or LR the speedo is what the car is doing.
Don't know where you got that.
Vehicle construction and use regulations require a vehicle speedometer accuracy to be in the range of -0->+10%. The implications are that it must never under-read - for obvious reasons - but may over-read. As the cost of manufacturing a speedometer with -0% error would be very costly they all over-read by a few percent without exception. Even if speed is measured correctly the display may not be accurate, so a speedometer error is allowed. Because of this, the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) have an official formula for calculating a speeding offence. It allows a leeway of 10% plus 2mph.
The above is easily found on loads of websites quoting Laws.
Are you saying each Jaguar has its speedo individually calibrated depending on the tyre profile and wheels fitted to the car? I doubt it. The costs would be excessive having to recalibrate every time a buyer orders different spec alloys or profile tyres for his new Jag.Additional sources of error are tire diameter variations due to temperature, pressure, vehicle load, and nominal tire size.
The amended Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 permits the use of speedometers that meet either the requirements of EC Council Directive 75/443 (as amended by Directive 97/39) or UNECE Regulation 39.[11]

The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001[12] permits single vehicles to be approved. As with the UNECE regulation and the EC Directives, the speedometer must never show an indicated speed less than the actual speed. However it differs slightly from them in specifying that for all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower that this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph.

Scott. I would get a good solicitor. the police reading is likely to be very accurate. You could still save your license but the fine may large and the points many

My mate got caught doing 105mph and as a delivery driver he got the boss to write a letter and in court they only fined him £200!
I've got the usual £60 and 3 points 3 times. Once doing 92 in a 70, and twice doing 40 in a 30.

it's already changed my driving style on the motorway
After my 3rd time it made me realise i needed to change. Most of us need a kick up the butt sometime.

cos of your work distance you travel ask the court for special circumstances hardship
im on 15 points at the min i had 9 and got a speeding 110.2 mph on the m5
as if i was banned i would have lost my firm etc etc
and flame away for my speed but it was a clear night with no cars around etc
and they dont need to calibrate the incar camera for speed as its measured over distance and time a video from 1 point to another like a bridge sos box marker etc
not like the handheld speed guns

I have to admit I find it somewhat amazed that you would still drive at such a speed with 9 points on your licence already! I 'only' have 6 points to your tally in comparison, but I'm so cautious out on the road, so the 'system' as it we're, is working on me, but not to you....

I have to admit I find it somewhat amazed that you would still drive at such a speed with 9 points on your licence already! I 'only' have 6 points to your tally in comparison, but I'm so cautious out on the road, so the 'system' as it we're, is working on me, but not to you....

to be honest i do that many miles you cant just sit at 70 for all of them and if anyone says well sit at 75 80 mph well thats also speeding so its the same
i dont take the **** on small roads where kids traffic etc is and i dont race (well unless its mates that know what there doing) i dont tailgate or speed on busy roads some will say the speeds are dangerous but i make sure if they are im only a danger to myself no one else
havein the points dont slow me down

to be honest i do that many miles you cant just sit at 70 for all of them and if anyone says well sit at 75 80 mph well thats also speeding so its the same
i dont take the **** on small roads where kids traffic etc is and i dont race (well unless its mates that know what there doing) i dont tailgate or speed on busy roads some will say the speeds are dangerous but i make sure if they are im only a danger to myself no one else
havein the points dont slow me down

Not even 15 points? lol I can understand that the current system in place penalizes those that do mega mileage to those of an average motorist, and I doubt you would be so lucky the next time round.

I've already mentioned in a previous post that I'm no angel myself out on the road, but to still drive @110mph+, I take it that's an average as opposed to a peak speed, is just asking to be caught out. But it's all about the luck of the draw at the end of the day I guess. I'm sure there's many out there who do the same and just never get caught at all....

Drive safely anyways.

no way will i be lucky a 2nd time around and they wont give me a speed awareness course as they day im beyond that the 110mph was waht they avraged it to the a4 i have can top 170mph easy yet to find that out tho and dont think i will
like you say luck of the draw but that m5 leading to the m42 are the worst places

I was done yesterday at 50+ on radar in 30.
Laser gun...I was rushing to hand in my late mothers house keys...

I was told will get 3 pts and 60 fine.
I am already on 6 points...

I am now looking at a Road Angel and will defo have to change driving style...
Il be driving Miss Daisy from now on.

What do people think of the Camer trap detectors ? Worth the money ?

road angel etc is worth the cash
but in not used 1 that gives good warnings against the hand held or video cars

I've been considering a road angel.

I've received my summons btw, for 3rd Feb, I'm not here but so I've pleaded guilty by post with a strong mitigation statement that will either go in my favour or against me, we'll see. Hoping for points, but a short ban wouldn't be too bad. I called insurance and got quoted on a SP50 and a 2 week ban and they didn't increase my premium, so that's one thing I suppose.

I had a Road Angel and it didn't pick up mobile vans but i had the original version when the 2nd model just came out.

Don't know where you got that.

The above is easily found on loads of websites quoting Laws.
Are you saying each Jaguar has its speedo individually calibrated depending on the tyre profile and wheels fitted to the car? I doubt it. The costs would be excessive having to recalibrate every time a buyer orders different spec alloys or profile tyres for his new Jag.Additional sources of error are tire diameter variations due to temperature, pressure, vehicle load, and nominal tire size.

Scott. I would get a good solicitor. the police reading is likely to be very accurate. You could still save your license but the fine may large and the points many

Exactly what i'm saying, cause its my job.

I'm expecting to get flamed for posting this.... but here goes.

Yesterday I got a 1.8t A3 courtesy car from Audi. I had to go to Birmingham and I was running a bit late. Got on the M6 at noon, it was dry, the sun was fairly low but I thought visibility was good and there was very little traffic - so much so that I thought the motorway must have been closed before the junction somewhere. I decided to stick to around 95 to make up time. I noticed one car ahead and one car behind, quite a distance away, so I didn't pay much attention to it. The car continued to follow at a distance, so I slowed down, and next thing it's flashing me to pull over. They averaged me over a distance at 100.31mph. I don't deny I was speeding but I'm not 100% on the speed.

Gutted to say the least. Just got to wait for the summons to turn up. :keule:

mate of mine got clocked over 100mph. he went to court and he managed to get off lightly. a fine in the hundreds and points.a

the one thing i would have asked the copper is whether he was allowed to drive that fast without his blues and twos on - politely of course, and also how they calculated your speed.

:faint:

:undwech:> :busted_cop: > :asskicking: > :slapped:

I've received my summons btw, for 3rd Feb, I'm not here but so I've pleaded guilty by post with a strong mitigation statement that will either go in my favour or against me, we'll see. Hoping for points, but a short ban wouldn't be too bad. I called insurance and got quoted on a SP50 and a 2 week ban and they didn't increase my premium, so that's one thing I suppose.

i think the speed limit on motorways is mildly ridiculous personally (it was set in the 1950s!), and it's enforcement is so subjective - i've driven past a copper at 85mph and he didn't bat an eyelid. a mate of mine was driving over 100mph, a copper pulled up alongside him, mouthed "slow down" and then sped off. and then some ppl get caught for doing relatively tame speeds like (82 was it?) someone else posted on here.

i wouldn't mind so much if the rules were revised and the subjectivity removed. up the limit to 80mph, and then enforce it as you would do with any other limit. but i doubt that'll happen in "Health & Safety" Britain :jester:

best of luck to ya mate. hopefully you'll get off lightly.

S.

Last edited:
On the bright side mate you can't incur points and a ban for the same offence. Many courts will do and a good solicitor will have you sorted. Over 100mph does not always mean a ban. Friend of mine was clocked at 104mph in a 1.3 Proton (I'm trying still not to snigger), 6 points and a £300 fine plus £75 costs iirc.

We've all done it, you aren't the first and sure as Hell won't be the last

new 1 for me and a mate last night on the M5 at 130 am
me 104.7
mate 132.6
ah well and iv just got back down to 6 points from my 15

not 1 car on the road pitch black 3 cars sat on hard shoulder slowed to 70 all lit up like a crimbo tree

was a 5 series following us for 6 mile no lights on

and to top it off it was the retarded 1 from road wars

new 1 for me and a mate last night on the M5 at 130 am
me 104.7
mate 132.6
ah well and iv just got back down to 6 points from my 15

not 1 car on the road pitch black 3 cars sat on hard shoulder slowed to 70 all lit up like a crimbo tree

was a 5 series following us for 6 mile no lights on

and to top it off it was the retarded 1 from road wars

still haven't learned your lesson lol

i've never actually seen coppers on the M5 anywhere from worcester to the M6 - tho i suppose that's only because i've only driven there in rush hour and your speed is dictated by the traffic

still haven't learned your lesson lol

nope dont think i ever will

guys - as you are all well experienced with points...

I got 6 points (2 SP30's) April 2010.
And another 3 points this Jan....

How long does it take for this to come off my licence ?
someone scared me by saying 3 points roll off each 3 years....so 9 years....cant be true ?

guys - as you are all well experienced with points...

I got 6 points (2 SP30's) April 2010.
And another 3 points this Jan....

How long does it take for this to come off my licence ?
someone scared me by saying 3 points roll off each 3 years....so 9 years....cant be true ?

Your points disappear from your licence 3 years after they the date they are put on, but insurance companies are asking for convictions over the last 5 years in some cases when getting a quote!

they expire 3 years from date of conviction
but stay on the liecence for 4 years b4 you can apply to have them removed
so valid for 4 stay there for 4
look on the dvla website its all on there

Well I am enlightened, I thought 100+ was instant ban regardless of circumstances (or 30mph over speed limit).

Personally If you havn't learned to control your speed after 6 points then I think there is a bit of an issue, I know some people are just generally unlucky and get caught 3-4mph over the limit, but to still do 100+ with points is mental.

Also I'd be careful if your posting your speeds on here, I thought it was common knowledge that popular forums are scanned occasionally? It doesn't take much for them to see where your doing them.
Fair enough if you've already been caught and your warning people, but admitting to speeding on a public forum is quite risky.

Well I am enlightened, I thought 100+ was instant ban regardless of circumstances (or 30mph over speed limit).

Personally If you havn't learned to control your speed after 6 points then I think there is a bit of an issue, I know some people are just generally unlucky and get caught 3-4mph over the limit, but to still do 100+ with points is mental.

Also I'd be careful if your posting your speeds on here, I thought it was common knowledge that popular forums are scanned occasionally? It doesn't take much for them to see where your doing them.
Fair enough if you've already been caught and your warning people, but admitting to speeding on a public forum is quite risky.
NOT an instant ban for 100+
and i can control my speed but as above it was 130am not a single car on the road apart from me and a mate
oh and the coppers doin a stelth trick with no lights
and admiting my speed on here aint a problem as i got caught

NOT an instant ban for 100+
and i can control my speed but as above it was 130am not a single car on the road apart from me and a mate
oh and the coppers doin a stelth trick with no lights
and admiting my speed on here aint a problem as i got caught

Previous to this thread thats what I was under the impression of.

I was merely saying, not directed at you, that anybody with points on their license is mad to continue to speed regardless of the road conditions, mainly because the person who ended up getting caught is the first person to moan about not having a license anymore when it is entirely their fault.

i agree
i just dont moan when i get a ban
to me its like a holiday as i drive for for my work
i dont have to drive i just do so if i get a 28 day ban or 6 mth ill just get 1 of the lads to do it all
and when my bans up im free of any points as they would be totted up
i do try not to speed and im even driveing the mondeo to slow me down as you can see it dont always work tho