Beard trimmers!

Westy

Reaction score
I hate wet shaving so I've always used a beard trimmer either without a guard so it's close but not razor close or with a few mm of stubble.

The issue I've found with all my trimmers I that within a year the plastic teeth on the guard start to break off until you're left with a useless guard. I've done a search for trimmers that have stainless steel guards but I'm struggling to find anything.

Can anyone recommend a trimmer with a metal guard or a durable plastic one before I spend another load of cash on something that only lasts a year?!

Grr, my plastic one broke too after 2 weeks. I'd guess that a proper hair clipper (Wahl or similar) would be better with their proper sturdy plastic guards would be best, but they are a little wide and large to use on the tash area.

Interested to see other people's suggestions. I'm a fan of 3-5mm of beard but then suddenly look like a homeless after a few weeks.

Reactions: Westy
Ditto, it's like they're build to break after a year! I gave up and went back to wet shaving.

You'd think that in the 21st century companies would be able to make a decent beard trimmer!

Be a man.
Wet shave or grow a beard.

What are you?
Some sort of hipster?

just for men and designer stubble.
What's next?

I hate shaving, so I wet shave at the end and start of the weekend, during the week I let it grow.
**** work!! :jump:

Reactions: CHEZ and warren_S5
Thanks to the three of you that have given relevant input to this thread.

Scott, a simple call of "man up" doesn't help me. You can abuse me to my face next time I see you but for now go and find me a decent trimmer you wookie!

Reactions: CHEZ, Andy Crooks, warren_S5 and 1 other person
I actually use clippers, i think they are Nicky Clarke ones that I have had for over 10 years now and they are perfect, they came with the the full selection of gradings too, cost about £20 and I cant fault it.

I always go for a zero on my beard once a week and that keeps it nice and trim, you can adjust it as well, so you can go even closer if you need to.

Only downside of it is its not wireless, otherwise it would be ideal.

Wireless usually means low power, though Nilz, my Babyliss jobby runs on rechargies and it starts to slow down half way through, which is a little scary...usually when I'm meeting a client in the next few hours LOL.

I use a beard trimmer too, can't remember the make. I'll check when I'm home. It's rechargeable, lasts for ages. I only ever use it with no guard though.

Actually, that's a lie. The guard gets used when I trim my pubes ;)

Reactions: Tim17, sammi, Westy and 1 other person
Yes i agree, if the trimmer was rechargable, wireless and lasted a long time that would be ideal, but for now, I will use electro city :)

Wireless usually means low power, though Nilz, my Babyliss jobby runs on rechargies and it starts to slow down half way through, which is a little scary...usually when I'm meeting a client in the next few hours LOL.
Looks like u need to invest in the link I posted too! It's a trimmer that I've used in salons for years and as long as you leave them on their charging station you won't have a problem with it dying. Most trimmers you buy in boots etc don't very often last very long it's just how it is! Put your hands in your pockets boys you get what u pay for!

Reactions: JudderMan
Shave like a man!!

Uploadfromtaptalk1395254456087

Or someone who's bored.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500, Nilz, Av4nt and 2 others
I've got a Wahl beard trimmer and a proper Wahl set of hair clippers that are the same as the barbers use. I got them both from TKMaxx very cheaply - the clippers were less than the price of a haircut!

Just remember...dont dry shave with a beard trimmer whilst driving. £100 and 3 points ;)

Reactions: Westy and ScottD3
I just put my head out the car window at high speeds..... I couldn't grow boy band stubble if I tried!

Sean

I had an iStubble, battery in its crap and died after ~6 months, used it off power socket for a while and then the chargehole/cable died so now it doesnt really work well at all unless you wiggle it to get a connection, missus uses it now and I have a Babylis thing...

I had an iStubble, battery in its crap and died after ~6 months, used it off power socket for a while and then the chargehole/cable died so now it doesnt really work well at all unless you wiggle it to get a connection, missus uses it now and I have a Babylis thing...

IStubble is made by Babyliss. The thing with a motorised head that has a display screen to tell you battery power and length of stubble selected?!

Yeah thats the one, was good while it lasted but it died too fast imho an given I only really used it twice a week it was poor..

I'll have a look at what I have now and let you know, its lasted much longer than the other one but the blades are dulling off a bit now.

Oh and fwiw I use mine to do face and head rather than just as a beard trimmer..