BC Racing BR Series vs Bilstein B12 (Pro/Sportline)

w.h.i.p.p.e.t

Reaction score
Hi.

Can anyone share any experience on the above setups? I've got an S3 Sportback and I'm looking for less of an inflatable-armchair ride, and a little less wheel gap.

I've got the BC coilovers already, I've just never got around to fitting them. I'm wondering now if they'll be too firm. I also doubt I'll ever adjust the ride height, damping or camber after the initial install, so they're probably overkill for the amount I drive the car.

From what I've read the Bilsteins have more of an OEM feel. Also, they'll be 'setup' just right for the car, rather than my trial and error efforts with the coilovers :)

If I go for the Bilsteins then I'll sell the BC Racing coilovers, but I don't want to do this now in haste only to find they would have been better after all.

Appreciate any feedback that you could share.

Thanks.

Anyone had/have the BCs? I've read quite a lot about the Bilsteins, but I've nothing to compare that with.

Had BCs on my Impreza. Hard enough to wake the dead even on the softest setting.

Went out for a ride in a S3 with B12's - too harsh for me for daily driving, but handling was spot on.

I went for Koni Special Actives with Eibach Pro's - best of all worlds imo. Comfortable and plush, but locked up and tight come cornering time.

Reactions: w.h.i.p.p.e.t
Thanks.

So the BCs are way harder than the B12?

Different cars of course, but if you had BR series, then this may be the only comparison I find :)

I’ll take a look at the Konis too.

Thanks.

So the BCs are way harder than the B12?

Different cars of course, but if you had BR series, then this may be the only comparison I find :)

I’ll take a look at the Konis too.

Coilovers generally are, one reason is ththey dont generally use top mounts..it may be different on the A3 but on the STI it was direct body to body to contact!

The B12 was just too firm for me. I personally am past the days where i dont mind feeling every ripple in the road to get a better handling car..then i found the Konis and realised I can have both worlds, comfort and improved handling.

I do live in a area with more speedbumps than not so my daily life and punishment when driving on firm suspension will be increased over someone who lives out in the sticks which can sway my arguement!

Not so many speedbumps where I am, just rough B roads. The undulating sort that turn the S3 into a mobile bouncy castle :)

The BCs do have a spherical top mount with camber adjustment, so I guess that will add a lot more feedback to the ride.

Not checked the Konis yet. I will look later though.

Thanks.