BBS Wheels - Fitment S3

Forgot to say when i was looking at tyres, several places had some cheap deals on Conti Sport 2's, around £130 fitted.....probably 5 months ago, but maybe the deals are still out there......
[/INDENT]

Yeah I paid about that. It was a blinding deal at the time I thought. It would surprise me if it's still around though, tyre prices fluctuate load, and Conti must've had a lot of that size they were offloading cheap.

thats not true mate , performance is not just how fast it goes its how the car performs overall inc steering , turn in , feed back etc 19 " rims will not do any thing to improve the performance only cosmetics , n8 speak to guys who have fitted light weight alloys for there opinion

The points you've highlighted are what I've highlighted, most boys who fit lightweight wheels are for performance, not for looks? I don't need to ask anyones opinion, everysingle person I've ever spoken to whos running 19"s have never bought for performance.

I've fitted CKII's (19's) to my S3 Sportback.

ET44
H&R Springs
Orginally went with 225/35/19 Falken FK452's but they rubbed

to say it a little louder19" x 8J + ET44 and 225/35 profile tyres will rub on an S3 Sportback

Hopefully me repeating this will save others the head ache I had in changing my tyres over and then selling the 225's and being £170 down for the pleasure :(

With the 3 dr you can get away with 225/35/19's 19 x 8J on an ET44 on H&R's (as per Decked's above) without an issue. Maybe even 235's depending on tyre selection (as per Boydie's)

Regarding performance - obviously the ride is harsher slightly - but I noticed this more when going from standard to H&R springs, than when I went to the 19's, its noticable slightly.

I didnt notice any difference when going from 225 down to 215's for everyday driving - I suppose under the full right boot it will be noticable but I havent noticed it yet.

I drive quickly on a blast out maybe 10% of the time so for the other 90% my car looks 100% better and doesnt rub its tits in. So 215's was an easy decision for me.

I'll add some pics tomorrow if I get chance of mine on the 215's now, but seems this is a BBS thread it'd be a shame not to add some pics of them in 225 guise. ;)

BBSCKIIAir1.jpg

BBSCKIIAir3.jpg

Good point Paul, same here man, as I've said before, I'm not 100% PERFORMANCE, otherwise I would have bought an Evo FQ400 that does 0-60 in 3.9s and looks like a japanese lunchbox.

this is all so much help thanks lads!

to make matters worse ive just been offered a set of 18" BBS CH brand new old stock for £750inc vat! im so tempted

Looks lik i'm in the minority here as I prefer 18". I personally find the handling sharper and less harsh on the 18"'s compared to 19's. Just lowered my S3 at the weekend on H&R's and TD Pro Race 1.2 and I am really happy with the result. No rubbing at all and the correct tyre choice can make a difference cosmetically. I went for PS3's. Some pics...

S3Lowered.jpg
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/m88ony/?action=view&current=S3Lowered3.jpg

S3Lowered3.jpg
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/m88ony/?action=view&current=S3Lowered.jpg

S3Lowered2.jpg
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/m88ony/?action=view&current=S3Lowered2.jpg

Last edited:
Am with you on the 18's but I want all performance/handerling stuff. Think I have something in mind for some lightweight 18's that no one has put on an S3 tho ;)

18"s will always handle/perform better than 19"s, but 19"s imo will always LOOK better - imo

Not necessarily true. The lower profile of the 19" rubber will give firm things up and is a good thing for handling. It's the ride that tends to suffer.

Looks lik i'm in the minority here as I prefer 18". I personally find the handling sharper and less harsh on the 18"'s compared to 19's. Just lowered my S3 at the weekend on H&R's and TD Pro Race 1.2 and I am really happy with the result. No rubbing at all and the correct tyre choice can make a difference cosmetically. I went for PS3's. Some pics...

S3Lowered.jpg
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/m88ony/?action=view&current=S3Lowered3.jpg

S3Lowered3.jpg
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/m88ony/?action=view&current=S3Lowered.jpg

S3Lowered2.jpg
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/m88ony/?action=view&current=S3Lowered2.jpg

another spanne rin the works! there was me all decided this morning im going to order 19 ck's! now a sudden inflix of people preffering the 18's:sadlike:

muneeb! your car looks sick! i need to see more pics! of the wheel in the arch (face) pictures to see how they fill the arch. dont think i could do a td 1.2 on a phantom s3

right guys ive decided.. im goin 18's. final decision

after thikin and thinkin i get the general feeling most people who tune there cars for hard road/track use are using 18's etc.. Jonny c springs to mind who always goes 18 and if im right he races cars??

just been to look at them 18 ch's and they are mint! offered them up to thre car and they look the bo**ocks!!!

im a hard driver, into performance over looks although i still think they look wicked in 18 especially once lowered!

right am plannin to fit them this afternoon.. i want to coat them up but do i need to do this woith them off? if so will it be ok to get them then on the weekend take em off and do one by one??

oh and what should i buy to protect them?? and coat them and where from?? (today) no links please

IMG_0960.jpg

Last edited:
cheers nate, anything i can get hold of from halfords?? or carnoisseur?

TD 1.2 are available in a variety of colours, excellent quality plus much lighter than OEM. Car looks great Muneeb.

cheers nate, anything i can get hold of from halfords?? or carnoisseur?

Carnoisseur in Ilford might well stock rimwax. Pretty sure the one in Southend does.

Autogylm Super Resin Polish...

ok does this clean them or protect them??

TD 1.2 are available in a variety of colours, excellent quality plus much lighter than OEM. Car looks great Muneeb.

agreed his car looks sick! but i feel the pro races look much better in black on ibis!!

Carnoisseur in Ilford might well stock rimwax. Pretty sure the one in Southend does.

just checked no luck, damn always things holdin me back!! :motz:

Autogylm Super Resin Polish...

what bout autoglym alloy wheel seal? quite highly rated! i could get this and SRP? but what order and do i get both? come on n8 u wheel,detailing whore :friends:

N8 I have a set of H&R Hubcentric spacers, 10mm front, 12mm rear up for sale soon, been on 2 weeks, now looking at rims instead to accomodate the monster brakes, give me a shout if interested.

I need 16mm extra Claiper clearance so looking at ET42 min, parking will be fun :)

spin u still got these for sale? might be interested. will know once i got the wheels on tonight :eyebrows:

In last weeks Autoexpress they tested wheel sealants and the surprise result was a product from MER won over all those listed on here, should be able to get that from a local Chavfords.

Love those wheels and what a great price.

i know i love them too, and like you think the 18's look fine, especially once lowered. which will be done as soon as my wallet allows. i know i got them cheap thats why i dont really wanna miss out!

spin u missed my question :)

Won't need the spacers looks sweet as it is, just needs a drop now. I thought it would look worse. Well happy with the wheels though! Driving is improved, Turn in is better. And they look wiked. I admit not as good as 19's but I'd rather sacrafice the looks over performance every time. I already made that mistake on my Cooper S. I'll get some pics up asap. :icon_thumright:

are they ch reps ? i tried 2 sets of reps on mine but they hit the calipers

I prefer the ride on 19s, weird
a mate of mine said this ,on his old a3 tdi s line his ch 19 "was better than oem but he transfered them on to his new S3 and then got 18 " speedlines and says 18 s are loads better on the S3 !!!!

a mate of mine said this ,on his old a3 tdi s line his ch 19 "was better than oem but he transfered them on to his new S3 and then got 18 " speedlines and says 18 s are loads better on the S3 !!!!

To be fair, if I drove with some 18"s on now, the ride probably would be better, and handle better. But it looks gay, so 19"s for me ADL

are they ch reps ? i tried 2 sets of reps on mine but they hit the calipers

nah they are proper ones! 18x8 et50

let me just tell you, i have been out tonight only for a little bit but they are even much better than oem wheels. i havent experienced 19's but if there is an improvement from my change it almost makes me feel like 19's would have been a step in the wrong direction (only as im lookin for performance over looks) but they still look sweet

To be fair, if I drove with some 18"s on now, the ride probably would be better, and handle better. But it looks gay, so 19"s for me ADL

they dont look gay, my car does a bit now but it needs a drop bad ill admit that.. but the wheels are amazing

thought id add some pics after all this discussion, no the best as they are from iphone... i absolutely love them, needs lowering badly... butill suffer it.. car gets loads more looks now (as my pal said, its a proepr s3 now-the oem wheels on the facelift especially are so unsporty), drives better feels better over bumps, there also seems to be less road noise.. overall couldnt be happier, got a blinding deal to top it all off.. next up springs or coilies cant decide!

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

Last edited:
well happy, im already out lookin for prices for springs n coilovers haha!! so addictive modding.. this is exactly what happend with my last car...