Batterys flat, help please

vince, A3 turbo

Reaction score
I've just got to my car after a day at work, to find a dead battery, got jumped and home and now looking for a good but small battery
I want to move the battery to the boot or behind passenger seat if I can get one small enough,
Is any one using a small battery and were is a good place to buy one ?
Can I check the alternator with a volt meter when car is running to make sure it's only the battery that's had It? Cheers guys

If you want a small battery you're going to be looking at a motorsport one. Just remember that as they are small they don't hold charge as well as a larger one so you have to use the car regularly. Mate had one in his trackday Cordoba and it wouldn't last a week and he got sick of always having to jump-start it.

When I relocated the one in my old Ibiza, I just stuck the standard battery in the boot. Haven't got round to doing the same in the Cordy but it's on the list of things to do.

Yeah, you can test the alternator with a multi-meter. Alternatively, try starting the car again soon after stopping - if the alternator is knackered you won't have got enough juice back into the battery so it'll struggle to start.

Last edited:
the question i'd ask is why would you want to move the battery ?

with the car running just put the terminals from the volt meter on the battery, should read 13.6+

Thanks mate I'll try find a Motorsport one this evening,and keep that i'n mind, I use my car as a work van ATM so hopefully I'll be okay , don't suppose you have a link do you?
Thanks colicabcadam
I want to move the battery so I can weld i'n a heat shield and fit a bigger filter as close to the (wing) headlight as possible when I do my k04 conversation,

waste of time, there are many people on this site running very high bhp a3s and s3s who have not moved the battery!!

But what if I want to?? How is it a waste of time? Couple hours to weld up a box and run the wire, tidies up engine bay and makes space for the filter and sheild i want,There are also a few people on ASN who have or want to move the battery, Do I have to follow every one else?

based on your first post I gathered you did not know how to use a volt meter, so how on earth would someone who doesn't know how to use a volt meter relocate a battery 2 meters away

if you feel confident and want to do it, do it, but based on others power figures you won't gain anything and there's no need to do it, if you are not good with eletrics you honestly risk setting your car on fire

based on your first post I gathered you did not know how to use a volt meter, so how on earth would someone who doesn't know how to use a volt meter relocate a battery 2 meters away

if you feel confident and want to do it, do it, but based on others power figures you won't gain anything and there's no need to do it, if you are not good with eletrics you honestly risk setting your car on fire
He's cofindent in moving the battery as his brother is a HV electrician who often works with 11 & 25 kva and HV loadbanks often pulling
11,500 amps
So I'm sure can cope with a mains changto the boot
Thats how

Trust me he not lucky enough to burn it down lol