Battery?

Maddox

Reaction score
Hi,

Had my A3 (53 plate TDi 140 sport) a couple of weeks now and I'm loving it - massive step up from my Leon TDi it replaces.

Got one little problem though; if I don't drive the car for a couple of days it seems a little reluctant to start - nothing major, just the motor turning over a couple of times before it starts. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with temperature as the last incidence of it was at lunchtime on a reasonably warm day.

It runs fine once its started, no warnings on the DIS or anything, so to me it seems like the battery isn't holding its charge properly, which leads me to my next question - what make/type of battery do you guys recommend?

TIA

paul

Any midrange one from Halfords or somewhere like that, don't buy the cheapest but also don't buy the most expensive!

DIS normally tells you if your battery charge is low - with an orange battery icon

Could actually be something else than just the battery.

Once had an 1972 Merc Sl witch was hard starting when cold but fine when warm. Went on a few forums and got some very different advice from changing batteries to fuel accumulators to Injector seals. I actually became an expert in the Bosch K-jetronic fuel system.

My advice is before you go throwing money at a problem try doing a fault finding exercise i.e. testing the charge of a battery before you start the engine? otherwise you could be buying parts that you dont necessaraly need

Might want to check the earth lead, this can be a big problem! Not with the A3 in paricular, just in general

i'd agree with above - might not just be battery although this can be tested easily at halfords they test it for free - not just voltage, but they load test it etc to check it can put out the right amount of current.

It could be lots of other things starting it - such as the glow plugs - they dont last forever and without these a diesel engine cannot start at all so if these are worn out then you will have problems starting

Cheers for the advice all,
In typical fashion the problem has completely disappeared now without me having done anything, if it does reappear though I'll go and get the battery checked at halfords before doing anything else.

Finally got enough of a gap in the weather to give the car its first proper clean, so i'll get some photos in the sticky thread shortly :)

I'd get it checked as you can bet your bottom dollar your battery will fair when you really don't want it too i.e in the middle of the country on a day out, standing at traffic lights, finishing work late et....