battery removal

amit87

Reaction score
Did a search and found no info (from my mobile!)

I have a S3 saloon and want to remove the glovebox area which may require disconnecting the knee airbag from its connector.

When working with airbags I've been advised it's safer to disconnect the battery (only negative terminal required to be disconnected) and waiting about 10mins before working in the car.

Now I have become paranoid after reading google and audis technician manual

1) google says disconnecting the battery of newer cars can make modules forget stuff like 'learnt' settings such as s tronic shift patterns etc... ESP lit up on my 8PA but a short drive cleared it. What problems could I face disconnecting the battery?

2) audis official manual says that NORMALLY you would have ignition off then disconnect the battery. HOWEVER when working with airbags, turn ignition on then disconnect the battery.... never heard this before what's people's take?

3) do I really need to disconnect the battery wheb disconnecting airbag connector?!... I'm not going near the crash sensors so would it deploy? Show airbag fault? Etc

Let's see what you guys have to say :).

Don't worry I have removed my glovebox many times on my old 8V a3 by just disconnecting the battery, waiting 10 minutes and then disconnecting the airbag connector with no issues. Any yellow connector you see is part of the airbag system and it is safe practice disconnecting the battery. Also if you are taking the glovebox out you wont be disconnecting the knee airbag as there is none on the passenger side but you'll be disconnecting the passenger airbag on/off switch. Reconnecting the battery you will get many faults with tpms, esp, abs, hill hold etc but these clear after a 30 second drive .

Reactions: amit87
As above. Had my battery disconnected for about an hour when I removed my steering wheel airbag to change the DSG paddles. The faults clear after about a half mile drive.

Reactions: amit87
Thanks for the reply. That's reassuring.

Did you disconnect the battery with the ignition On as suggested by the technicians manual? (I've never done this and sounds like a disaster)

Thanks for the reply. That's reassuring.

Did you disconnect the battery with the ignition On as suggested by the technicians manual? (I've never done this and sounds like a disaster)

No - never heard of that before. Just went old school and removed the battery earth lead.

Ignition off
Key out
Disconnect battery

Wait 10 mins if disconnecting airbag or SRS connectors to be sure

Reactions: amit87 and Rob2k68
And there's no need to worry about anything needing 'learn' anything. Everything will recalibrate itself as normal...

joys of self learn! it'll sort it self back out, don't worry.

its good practice to disconnect the battery, i won't lie, I've removed steering wheels countless times and never disconnected the battery.
then again, i work mate removed a passenger seat from a car, and disconnected the airbag and they all went off! . Will have to say though, thats extremely rare for that to happen! but it cost a fair bit to get it resolved.