battery problems!!!

spoons666

Reaction score
hi, just asking if anyone has any ideas on battery being drained? always started first time everytime until i went to use fri nite but battery was dead? after bump starting it i done a 5 mile trip an noticed the rear interior light was on so asumed kids had switched one day before hence why battery was dead, but been dead every morning since so charged all day today put back on car but still sounds dead an only just turned car over plus my warning light for brakes has come on!! an if it helps there is a noise coming from round the glove box area that sounds like a quieter cd changer???? anybody have any ideas?? thanks

Unfortunately, it sounds like your battery is on the way out.
When the bleeps and the brake warning light happen just after starting the car, it's a sign that the battery isn't delivering full power.
I would check the voltage with a voltmeter, or take it to a reliable garage and get them to test the battery with a discharge meter.
I presume your alternator is charging - again, if you use a multi-meter when the engine is running, the voltage at the battery terminals should be in excess of 14 volts.
Best of luck!

hi, put new battery on next day an car as good asnew, thanks

only had a quick crack at it, before ti got dark, but once the plastic trim is off (the small and large pieces, how do you release the battery?

2 x 10mm bolts on the batter conenctors, but the battery feels fairly solidly fixed....

Look down the front of the battery, I needed to unclip the rubber type wiring loom that runs along the front of the battery, then get a 6mm Allen key bit (socket type) on a long extension to undo the battery clamp, this should loosen the battery. You will need to move the clamp out of the way the best you can. The next challenge is lifting the battery from the bay as it's still a snug fit, I found myself kneeling on the engine to get it out! Cost me £25 off eBay for a new engine cover as I put my knee through it :( so be careful.

Reactions: BahnStormer77
Look down the front of the battery, I needed to unclip the rubber type wiring loom that runs along the front of the battery, then get a 6mm Allen key bit (socket type) on a long extension to undo the battery clamp, this should loosen the battery. You will need to move the clamp out of the way the best you can. The next challenge is lifting the battery from the bay as it's still a snug fit, I found myself kneeling on the engine to get it out! Cost me £25 off eBay for a new engine cover as I put my knee through it :( so be careful.

Yes - I ended up kneeling on the front cross-member to replace the battery, and doing a balancing act. The batteries are large and heavy.
AND - don't forget - whilst the battery is out, make sure the grommets under the battery, and under the brake servo, are pushed through - so that water doesn't accumulate in the plenum chamber.
Best of luck!!

Sometimes makes you wonder what the hell the engineers at Audi were thinking, changing the battery on a B5 is so easy one bolt on the left hand side and the right hand side plastic trim job done, my B7 was a proper tw@t everything was I the way and the 6mm bolt was a ***** to get at, for the life of me I cannot see why they changed the design.

Last edited:
I find it easier to insert a broom handle or similar through the battery handles and get someone to lift the other end as you lift yours. Of course youve now done yours but someone may find this usefull:salute:

Sometimes makes you wonder what the hell the engineers at Audi were thinking, changing the battery on a B5 is so easy one bolt on the felt hand side and the right hand side plastic trim job done, my B7 was a proper tw@t everything was I the way and the 6mm bolt was a ***** to get at, for the life of me I cannot see why they changed the design.

So they can charge a couple of hours labour and take your eyes out at you local friendly audi dealership?? :(

I find it easier to insert a broom handle or similar through the battery handles and get someone to lift the other end as you lift yours. Of course youve now done yours but someone may find this usefull:salute:

Wish I had thought of that before wrecking my cover lol

all good advice guys - I'll let you know how I get on... bigger issue is that the Bosch S4 013 look slike it's going to be an even tighter fit than the Vanta one that's in there already!

hmmm... got the old battery out....

On the plus: 6mm socket on a LONG extension and a broom handle through the lift-handles worked a treat!! (big thanks!!)

On the down side, I've got the battery in, but finding it a nightmare to fit it in all the way... and although I've got the terminals on, I can't for the life of me get the retainer to hold the battery down! I keep trying to wiggle it aroudn adn then tighten it, but hte battery is still "loose" (it's pretty solidly wedged in, but still has a teensy bit of wiggle room :( )....

Any recommendations?

Does anybody have any photo's of that battery retainer WITHOUT the battery in (so I can see how it works, without trying to get the battery out again)?

I had a look on Etka Chris, bit vague but it might help you.

batterytray2.jpg

batterytray1.jpg

hmmm... got the old battery out....

On the plus: 6mm socket on a LONG extension and a broom handle through the lift-handles worked a treat!! (big thanks!!)

On the down side, I've got the battery in, but finding it a nightmare to fit it in all the way... and although I've got the terminals on, I can't for the life of me get the retainer to hold the battery down! I keep trying to wiggle it aroudn adn then tighten it, but hte battery is still "loose" (it's pretty solidly wedged in, but still has a teensy bit of wiggle room :( )....

Any recommendations?

Does anybody have any photo's of that battery retainer WITHOUT the battery in (so I can see how it works, without trying to get the battery out again)?

I've fitted a Bosch S4 as well - and had the same problem getting the retainer to sit on top of the lug at the bottom of the battery. In the end, I just loosened the screw as far as I dared (without completely unscrewing it out), and fairly brutally wiggling the battery until the retainer flipped over the lug. I could then screw it tight - but it's quite difficult, and needs an element of luck to complete - mainly because you can't see what's happening down in front of the battery!
My advice is to keep wiggling the battery about, and eventually it should drop under the retainer.
Best of luck!!