Battery or Alternator ????

I

imported_blackcat

Went to the car this morning and tried to unlock the car with the fob but it didn't work. I changed the battery on the fob but this still doesn't work. It's an after market upgrade alarm (Meta).
So now i'm thinking it might be the car's battery but i had a new battery fitted about 2 months ago so this should be ok.
Could it be a fault with the alternator ?
I haven't actually gained access into the car to try and start it as if i open the door with the key will the alarm go off ?
The main worry being that i'm in France and don't know of anyone here who could help.
Any advice much appreciated.

No way of telling without you actually getting inside the car first as it could just be an alarm problem. Remember most aftermarket alarms lose their code if the batteries get low for an extended period. Do you have a keypad inside the car? Most good systems allow you to overide the blipper by entering a PIN.
Does the central locking work on the Audi blipper? (this won't set the alarm off unless you open a door).
If the alarm does go off just flip the bonnet and disconnect the ground lead on the battery.
It could be the battery, my dad had a brand new one go only 3 months old.
The only real way to tell is by charging it up and seeing if it holds. If it's the alternator then you will soon see the battery start to struggle after a long journey.
If you're abroad then it would be best to take it somewhere so they can properly diagnose it.
My bet is either an alarm problem or a duff cell on the new battery.

Hi,

Thanks very much for replying. There isn't a keypad inside the car and the central locking doesn't work either. I will use the key to get into the car and disconnect the ground lead like you have advised but unfortunately do not know which is the ground lead. Please could you describe it for me ?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

Thanks very much for replying. There isn't a keypad inside the car and the central locking doesn't work either. I will use the key to get into the car and disconnect the ground lead like you have advised but unfortunately do not know which is the ground lead. Please could you describe it for me ?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Black one on the battery with the ( - ) symbol. Passenger side basically.

Rich

Cheers,
Got into the car, the alarm didn't go off and the battery's got no power at all. Have been to the local garage but they haven't got the manpower to come and look at the car. Have bought some jumpleads from them and am now trying to locate an english "jumper" ! Is this the next step or do you think i would be better off buying a new battery as it may be duff ?
Does anyone know if it's easy to fit a new battery yourself ?
Thanks for all help given.

As long as you have a few spanners to undo/tighten the clamps on the battery terminals you'll be fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just make sure you don't touch both together at the same time!

Best of luck...

Found out it was flat battery, got jump start and all seems to be ok up to now.
Thanks for all your advice.