Battery low warnings?

Dippy

Reaction score
My S5 is just over 4.5 years old and I'm starting to get hints that the battery is nearing end of life. However they are only hints, such as stop/start seeming to restart the engine perhaps a bit sooner than it used to.

Now on my B5 S4 I remember that every time my battery expired (I think I had 3 or 4 in the 14 years I owned it) it did so without any warning, leaving me with a car that wouldn't start. This always irritated me that if I had just had a bit of warning I could have replaced it and avoided the hassle.

But since my B8.5 S5 has a sophisticated (?) power management system I have had the expectation that it would be different. I am expecting that one day I will get a helpful "your battery voltage is low" message on the MMI and/or DIS, but the car will start fine and I can replace the battery at my leisure.

Can anyone who has experienced this on the B8.5 possibly confirm that my expectations are correct?

Good morning Dippy
I had to replace my battery last year after experiencing the same stop start issues you describe,but the difference with mine was one very cold morning during a journey a message appeared on the DIS" battery level low some functions not available" or something like that.
My heated seats stopped working and I just replaced the battery and all was good in the world again.
I am sure you know that if you do replace yours it will require coding,tis very simple using VCDS,all you need to do is change one number in the battery management section and then the vehicle will recognize it as a replacement and manage it accordingly.
Hope this helps
Cheers Paul

Reactions: V6_Man