Battery life due to not using car for 12 weeks self isolation

Steveroberts1971

Reaction score
Hi,

hope you are keeping safe. Just wondering if anybody has left their car for 12 weeks without any use and if the battery was still up to starting the car?
If it doesn’t start, will Audi cover coming out to get it started at home? As will be about 15 months old when I need to start mine next.

Is the car not parked outside your home? If it is, why not simply start it up once a week and let the engine run for 10-15 mins to keep the battery alive?

Alternatively, can't you use the car for essential trips, such as food shopping trips?

If it's left standing for nearly 3 months with the alarm on I wouldn't expect it to start.

I regularly travel outside the UK for several months at a time for work.

The first time I did it (with my A7) I was gone about 3 months, and the battery was dead on my return. In the end l had to call out the AA to get it started.

Since then, whenever I go away, I always put a battery conditioner on the S7 to keep the battery on full charge mode. The longest I’ve been away is 6 months, and I’ve never had a flat battery since.

I use the CTEK MXS 10 to keep the battery conditioned, and you can leave it hooked up for as long as you want as it’s fully self adjusting. ( Audi recommended)

Reactions: NevMan
Agree with RAF-S7 best to keep it on a battery conditioner such as CTEK - I also spend periods out of the country and after 3 months of standing it just started but after that the Internal voltage would not increase - AA jump started it but battery was shot - was replaced under Warrantee by Audi £450 !!!!!

The Charger should be connected to the Positive terminal of the battery and the boot floor ( CTEK ) as a recommended.

I have an Avant so the charger sits in the boot and the cable passes under boot seal which as there is enough gap - then to an outside Socket.

Starting the car regularly does not charge the battery as I found out ( wife ran car for 30 mins once a week ) hence CTEK.

The complete kit including an extension CTEK Cable was about £70.
IMG 2193

Reactions: NevMan and RAF_S7
Ctek CT5 Start Stop Battery Charger & I also bought an extension cable which fits into the cable direct, to route around spare wheel well then up to side storage pod. When finished with Charger I just pop cable into the cubby hole complete with plug and pull out rubber connection to charger which goes to battery.
I was initially going to put in the bonnet area until I found the croc clips are not suitable but already had bought a rubber cover for the charger to prevent scratches to the paint but comes in handy in boot to secure charger with a cable tie with cover fitted.

These charger do get warm when on fast charge ( asked CTEK about it as thought it was strange ) but they said it was normal so when charging I leave cubby hole open for ventilation.

Oh forgot to mention in the other post - the negative cable for the charger ( ring connector which is in the box ) I found the boot floor has a few screwed studs fitted to the body of no obvious use, but a 10mm nut fitted the thread plus ring connection went over stud so grounded to body - quite easy.

I didn't even have to disconnect the battery as the +ve clamp for the battery has a 10 mm nut, so just un screwed it and fitted ring connector with clamp in place and back on with nut.

Screen Shot 2020 04 03 at 003354

Screen Shot 2020 04 03 at 003123

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and cuke2u
Hi,

hope you are keeping safe. Just wondering if anybody has left their car for 12 weeks without any use and if the battery was still up to starting the car?
If it doesn’t start, will Audi cover coming out to get it started at home? As will be about 15 months old when I need to start mine next.

if you phone Audi on the number on the 3 year breakdown cover - the AA will eventually come out.

Ctek CT5 Start Stop Battery Charger & I also bought an extension cable which fits into the cable direct, to route around spare wheel well then up to side storage pod. When finished with Charger I just pop cable into the cubby hole complete with plug and pull out rubber connection to charger which goes to battery.
I was initially going to put in the bonnet area until I found the croc clips are not suitable but already had bought a rubber cover for the charger to prevent scratches to the paint but comes in handy in boot to secure charger with a cable tie with cover fitted.

These charger do get warm when on fast charge ( asked CTEK about it as thought it was strange ) but they said it was normal so when charging I leave cubby hole open for ventilation.

Oh forgot to mention in the other post - the negative cable for the charger ( ring connector which is in the box ) I found the boot floor has a few screwed studs fitted to the body of no obvious use, but a 10mm nut fitted the thread plus ring connection went over stud so grounded to body - quite easy.

I didn't even have to disconnect the battery as the +ve clamp for the battery has a 10 mm nut, so just un screwed it and fitted ring connector with clamp in place and back on with nut.

View attachment 200214

View attachment 200213
That's the one I have been looking at but thanks for replying...

View attachment 200214

View attachment 200213

Thanks for informative post Neil

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOgy-PaZGY4

Don't believe he can have a shut bonnet and then disconnect as I found clamp is too big for Audi + ve and shut bonnet even with the red cover removed. Still a good product and does what I want without being over complicated.

This one is fitted to a A4 and I put the extension cable inside to boot then plug in to stop water plus neater.

www.youtube.com/watch/v=MOL8v3X2Av4

Reactions: cuke2u