Battery going flat overnight

banny

Reaction score
I have an A4 Avant TDi 02 model and the last two nights the battery has been going flat, when I go to start in the morning there is nothing, put the 50 amp starter on it and it is fine.
I think the alternator is alright as it seems to be charging fine, as I can go a few miles and the car starts fine. so the battery must be holding charge.
Does anyone have any ideas.
Thanks for any help given

hello mate
have you recently done anything to the car, ie: nav install etc??

mine kept going flat due to a couple of things, firstly was the retro nav install, i accidently connected the tmc unit to the live, and the second was my engine cooling fan that had a faulty module, making it come on full speed and causeing a major drain...

unless you've still got the original battery as i did, audi recommend you change these every 5-6 years

i've got a big bosch one now, does the business!!!!

Can you hear anything running after 5 mins, when you turn off the ignition?

If it is not a short, the normal cause is a pump or motor running on.

turns out to be a knackered battey, theres a nice £110 down the drain.

Oh well, you was lucky, I did look around and most places where around £80-£100 but never had in stock, Audi-Basingstoke had them in stock so I took it, as it was I really needed it now as it was a pain having to put my jump starter on in the mornings and having to wait for 10 mins to put enough in to start.
I am not worried anyway, job is done now and my car works good enough.
Knew I could get it cheaper if I waited but I am impatient, want everything yesterday.

Blimey thats dedication to originallity, bought it from Audi, screw that! You must have cash to burn!

I pictured a ****** off Banny when I read that!!!!

banny said:
Oh well, you was lucky, I did look around and most places where around £80-£100 but never had in stock, Audi-Basingstoke had them in stock so I took it, as it was I really needed it now as it was a pain having to put my jump starter on in the mornings and having to wait for 10 mins to put enough in to start.
I am not worried anyway, job is done now and my car works good enough.
Knew I could get it cheaper if I waited but I am impatient, want everything yesterday.

A4Quattro said:
Blimey thats dedication to originallity, bought it from Audi, screw that! You must have cash to burn!
It was not really that, was a case of could not get one on the day as everywhere i tried had to order it in.
Dunno about money to burn though, not poor but certainly not rich by any standards.
Still its done now I suppose at least it will be on the audi computer system that the car has had a new battery from them.
Could be handy when I come to trade in for a B7