Battery Drain

Dom_E_UK

Reaction score
Hi,

If any of you remember I bumped my bumper a few weeks ago. I got it all fixed from the 'Approved Repairer' My insurer delegated.

Now another problem has presented itself. My battery has a 2-3 Amp drain on it. From what I've narrowed it down, It seems to be my stereo (RNS-E). That seems to drop close to 2A leaving 0.8A which doesn't vanish with the fuses that I've found.

The garage were only playing with the headlights and no other electrical components should have been touched, but I'm open to the idea they could have disconnected the battery.

Does anybody have any quick fixes/ideas to help narrow it down?

Thanks in advance

Dom

you got bluetooth fitted to the vehicle by any chance??

if so try unplugging it, may well sort your problem as i think it seems to be a common fault...

Sounds like the canbus has gone in your Rns-e. Although it appears to turn off it doesn't power down. Sit in the car and lock it / set the alarm with the keyfob, and keep very still. Put your ear close to the Rns-e and you will hear the sound like a cd spinning, it should stop after around a minute, if it doesn't then its definitely the canbus.
Replacement exchange units from Audi are around £2k, get in touch with NHN on here and he can sort it for you.
For the record I have had two go in five years both sorted by Nigel for much less than £2k.

Ok,

Good news!! I traced the current drain to the Bluetooth (thanks Skandz).

Unplugged it, current dropped to 0.1A WOO!!

While I was sat there doing various cycles of confirming it, turning it off and on again, I plugged the Bluetooth back in and no change... It seems to work!

But weirdly my current drain jumps from 0.08A to 0.3A (briefly) regardless of what's on when the car is off and Armed... The only thing I can think of is that is the car communicating with the bonnet switch as it's open for my multimeter!

At least I should be able to start my car after a week of not using it, but ideally while I'm in the groove I'd like to get it sorted!!

Any thoughts guys?

Nope, the car is fully locked and armed.... Nothings changing in it at all!
Briefly as in a half of a second every few seconds.. I know it's not the end of the world and the problem seems sorted but it still seems to high!