Battery drain with ignition on...........whats the current supposed to be?

ramboDTM

Reaction score
Just tinkering with a lower than I'd like battery voltage on my B7 S4, so started measuring.

Drain with everything off and asleep is about 30ma, and I've never had any problems overnight etc, so that seems fine.

But its the battery drain with the ignition on that seems higher than it should. With ignition on, but everything off (radio, heater, seats etc), I'm drawing 9A. Doesn't that seem a little high? I mean what the hell else could be on that draws 9A lol? Although the RNSE is switched off, its still actually on until it sleeps, and that is drawing 3A, so I've got 5A of unaccounted for current lol. I've been through every fuse in the drivers side dash, and nothing is anything like that, so a bit stumped!

If anyone knows what the acceptable draw should be with the ignition on, that'd be great :)

Heated seats maybe, tbh 5-6amp collectively for all systems ignition on isnt that bad I guess as it expects charging anyway.

Headlights, drls, variety of things tbh.

Heated seats maybe, tbh 5-6amp collectively for all systems ignition on isnt that bad I guess as it expects charging anyway.

Headlights, drls, variety of things tbh.

Its 9A collectively with everything off, but only 5A unaccounted for :)

Heated seats were off, they'd kill the battery in no time if they were on, hefty buggers they are lol.

I appreciate all the systems draw something, but surely it shouldn't be that much? Headlights and drl's etc would just be a module in standby.

Drl, did you check if they're on?

Headlights kill battery in no time tbh.

Drl, did you check if they're on?

Headlights kill battery in no time tbh.

Yes I know, but they arent on lol. EVERYTHING is switched off, only the ignition on powering whatever modules that need power :)

That's every module on the car, hence 5-6amp isn't really that much.

That's every module on the car, hence 5-6amp isn't really that much.

Just be nice if there was actually some official or proven data that says 9A is normal draw, because from what I've seen, its all just guessing lol.

Presuming that with ignition on you are putting power through a lot of systems pre start, like ECU, fuel pump, maybe starter solenoid, coil packs?