Battery drain or not?

ab1702

Reaction score
Car wouldnt start last week because the battery had gone down to 10 volts (according to android head unit). The android unit hadn’t been turning on properly for a couple of weeks so I assumed that was the problem and sorted it out and charged the battery back up and has been fine since.
This week I’ve got round to testing it with a multimeter to see if something was draining it and I have a drain of 0.19 amps (190 miliamps). This starts at 0.80 amps when I connect the multimeter but after about 20-30 seconds it settles at 0.19 amps drain so I assume it’s the car/ecu doing what it does when it gets a connection back to the battery.

I have totally unplugged the android unit while having the multimeter connected and it made no difference so that’s not a problem and I haven’t pulled any fuses as of yet.

Is 0.19 amps (190 miliamps) too much of a parasitic drain on the battery overnight etc?

Last edited:
Following

I've had this exact problem for over a year now including the exact same multimeter reading. If you leave the multimeter connected for even longer it goes down again to 0.10-0.11.

My cars battery is dead after 2 days of standing.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Following

I've had this exact problem for over a year now including the exact same multimeter reading. If you leave the multimeter connected for even longer it goes down again to 0.10-0.11.

My cars battery is dead after 2 days of standing.

Yours is dead after 2 days of driving or none driving?

edit

sorry I thought it said two days of driving

2 days standing dead battery with that drain signifies a battery on its way out tbh, get it tested.

Only thing you can do is start pulling fuses & see what drops or put meter in fuse points & test load when locked.

2 days standing dead battery with that drain signifies a battery on its way out tbh, get it tested.

Only thing you can do is start pulling fuses & see what drops or put meter in fuse points & test load when locked.
I got a new battery about 9 months ago and it didnt change anything.

I did test fuses and found that when I removed the fuse for the circuit that contains the central comfort convenience unit (fuse 3 in engine bay if I remember correctly), the drain went down to 0.4a. I got a second hand unit and replaced it but it controls central locking so have to open by key and can't open boot until I recode it with my key fob.

The drain was still the same after replacing.
Is 0.1a a significant drain?

I got a new battery about 9 months ago and it didnt change anything.

I did test fuses and found that when I removed the fuse for the circuit that contains the central comfort convenience unit (fuse 3 in engine bay if I remember correctly), the drain went down to 0.4a. I got a second hand unit and replaced it but it controls central locking so have to open by key and can't open boot until I recode it with my key fob.

The drain was still the same after replacing.
Is 0.1a a significant drain?

It obviously is if you’re battery is going dead. I’ve been reading online and apparently most cars will not have a drain of more than 50 miliamps so I think we both need to find what is causing our problem

I have the same problem. If not drive it or start it and leave it for a while every 2 days, the New car battery is gone.

I’ve sorted mine, it was to do with the android unit and a power cable I had running from it. I’ve got the battery drain down to 0.02 amps(20 miliamps) now and that’s with the android unit still in. If I take the unit out it fluctuates between 0 and 0.01. Apparently anything less than 0.05(50 miliamps) is acceptable.

For those that have said you have the same issue then you need a multimeter and you need to google how to find a battery drain, it’s quite simple actually. I would start by unplugging anything electrical you may have added to the car just as I did with the android unit as I had a gut feeling about it. Failing that youve then got to start pulling fuses out one by one until the drain disappears which could become a lengthy process.