Facelift Battery Conditioners / Trickle Chargers

HulkRS3

Kyalami RS3 Saloon
Reaction score
So I've noticed when you go into a lot of dealerships, a lot of the cars have small trickle chargers wired up into bonnet just to keep the battery in check (particularly JLR, Audi etc) due to the DRLs being on most of the time inc overnight.

Does anyone have one of these and where can I find one, preferably that's connected to the mains? My dashcam runs continuously (hard wired) but as I only do low mileage and my car sometimes goes days in between without being used, I'm getting low battery warnings from the VC. It's never failed to start or even come close but it is sometimes causing the dashcam to shut down completely in park mode which it's designed to do, but not ideal at all considering that's what I got it for.

So any help re trickle chargers or something to keep it boosted up while it's not in use would be great.

Ctek seem to be one of the best out there for this mate.

Reactions: HulkRS3
I use CTEK trickle charges on all my vehicles.
CTEK do different ones depending on the size of the battery and climatic conditions, with a nice healthy battery (and no non-OE drain) I would expect 6 weeks minimum on the S3 battery without charge in the UK. Basically connect and forget but don't forget to disconnect.

They do a heap of accessories including a permanent waterproof connection with a long lead so you could put the connection somewhere convenient.

Reactions: HulkRS3
I use CTEK trickle charges on all my vehicles.
CTEK do different ones depending on the size of the battery and climatic conditions, with a nice healthy battery (and no non-OE drain) I would expect 6 weeks minimum on the S3 battery without charge in the UK. Basically connect and forget but don't forget to disconnect.

Which would you recommend for my needs then?

I have used the CTEK 5.0 in the past, works a treat as it is an intelligent charger not a trickle charger.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
+1 for the CTEK. Recently got a CTEK 3.8 to replace a failed 20 yr old Airflow unit for my MX5 that gets little use in winter. It came with a plug in connector that can be left connected to the battery terminals, so no need for croc clips. As mentioned these units are 'smart' and don't damage batteries or car electronics.Worth the money.
JS

I use a CTEK MXS 5.0.

+1 ctek, have one connected permanently to one of my vehicles that dosent see much action outside of summer . Really good bit of kit , mines about 10 years old . I’ve hardwired a connection (supplied) to front of grill . Plug in and take without lifting the bonnet .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bang for buck .

acel08_new_packing1.jpg

How much is the CTEK ?

It won't go bang , lol , both the hardwire croc clips and terminal rings have in-line fuses .

The Maypole MP7423 4A can be had for as little as £22.99 .

Hundreds of positive reviews on Amazon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06
How much is the CTEK ?

It won't go bang , lol , both the hardwire croc clips and terminal rings have in-line fuses .

Fair play, I think my CTEK was 4 or 5 times that amount! Albeit I didn't get the cheapest one, but your point stands.

Another shout for a CTEK here...getting expensive now for some reason (when looking at the big chargers)...I would get a minium of the 5amp one (MXS5.0 I think it is)...atleast you know you can charge something of reasonable size in a half decent time

Me personally, I have a 10amp charger I think and its a great bit of kit, will charge all the smaller batteries and handle my big battery banks no problem (3 batteries in one vehicle)

Reactions: Audi Bairn
How much is the CTEK ?

I would pay more attention to the 5 or so recommendations on this forum than 100 reviews on Amazon. But that’s just my view . I can see where you are taking this as normal so I will sign off .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So looking at the CTEK MXS 5.0 to keep the car topped up then?

Next question for the guys who use these without garages. How do you run the power from your home to the car during all weathers?

The MXS 5.0 is a good shout

I use an outdoor extention lead and put the charger inside the engine bay in an area that I know will not get wet, works perfectly fine...had my van on trickle charge/maintenance for the last 2 weeks so with no issue

So looking at the CTEK MXS 5.0 to keep the car topped up then?

Next question for the guys who use these without garages. How do you run the power from your home to the car during all weathers?

I've a extension reel , lay it flat and cover with a plastic container , place a heavyish object on top .