Bathroom installation

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Need some advice on bathroom installation prices, got no idea at all, but the missus wants a new bathroom, the whole works! She already has an idea of what she wants, just need to get some prices for tiling and changing the suites etc.

Firstly you will have to decide if your going for a standard bathroom or a wet room they are all the rage at the moment Joe :icon_thumright:
http://www.wetrooms.livinghouse.co.uk/

Not that extreme Jase, you think I'm loaded? lol

Like for like methinks, but fully tiled with some cabinets and a chrome towel radiator thing is the plan.

Jo, theres a new tile showroom opened on the warwick road in sparkhill, just opposite SCC, supposed to be really good, they might be able to do you a deal.

As for the other stuff, Screwfix do some good deals on rads etc....

if youre not moving the position of anything its an easy enough job to do urself mate,get a mate to give u a hand.

If you are able to do the work then its a lot cheaper. Its the labour charge that puts the price up. Getting someone to do it is fine as you can tell them your not happy with this and that. plus, make sure if anything does go wrong they have insurance.

get a stainless steel radiator thy are about £200 ish depending on size.

as for gtting a bathroom done ive no idea I did mine myself wet room and all :)

Jo,

I had mine done a couple of years ago, I'll PM you the details of the company. Very happy with it to be honest.

Fully tiled, good quality suite and really nice taps etc came in at under £3k....that included a new floor and ceiling too so happy days.

PM on its way to you, they're local and do really nice work.

T

DIY is not one of my strong points, I'd rather pay someone to do it right the first time round.

Pm on its way with a couple of contacts, both have worked for me in the past as subcontractors and I will recommend them :icon_thumright:

massively depends where you live, but a normal size bathroom would be around 3k with good quality taps and sanitaryware and £15/m2 tiles.

Alternatively you can supply gear yourself and get somebody to price for fitting only, as most people make 10-20% on materials, then would be looking at around £1000 labour.

Its not always best to go for the cheapest price as you will end up with a rough job usually.

something nice i would recommend is tiled floor with electric elements underneath, takes the chill off, and feels pretty nice under your feet!

Looking at wetrooms you can add another 1500 lol

Jo out of interest, I saw a really nice chrome rad at Costco the other day £120 and looked like really good quality too.

Jo out of interest, I saw a really nice chrome rad at Costco the other day £120 and looked like really good quality too.

Should have said earlier, I was there today!

Reason for this post was a quote of over £6k having all the work done by a bathroom store in HallGreen. After I picked myself up off the floor, I made a quick excuse and left. lol Doing a bit more research, as the other half kind of jumped in the deep end here, I could save 30% or so on the parts if I buy them seperately from multiple of places which is a huge saving. I wasn't very happy with the labour figures they gave me neither, with no chance of movement if paying cash... do they want my business or not?

Missus is now having second thoughts about the whole thing now.... :huh:

Cash dont really make much of a difference anymore my friend, take another trip to Costco, might be worth it for you.

Try any of the contacts provided by Paul if you like, otherwise I have someone that did our bedroom for us, did an amazing job, if you want I can pass you his number, he is local as well and should be able to do a good job for you too.

depends! cash for labour can save you a bit if the installer is willing. I get pretty decent discounts, and I can get a decent quality 600x1200 chrome towel rad for just over £100, so 120 to average consumer isnt too bad.

Id recommend ringing round getting quotes of plumbers and tilers, try a few and go for the one you have most confidence in, which may not be the cheapest. You can tell if there blaggers im sure. Would definately go down the route of supplying you own gear, you will be surprised how much you will save.

One of my mates took on a flat as a development and got his bathroom suite from Screwfix. To be honest it was really nice, he got good quality taps though to make sure it had a quality look and feel.

If you have the time then I'd second sourcing everything yourself. When I had mine done I didnt have time to do that so just got it done as the rest of the house was a dump so I was too busy decorating every other room!

Highly recommended to get the stuff yourself, builders make a bigger mark up on materials and you can make sure you get what you want.