Basic OBD Eleven Guide (Android)

Daveyonthemove

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Before you read this, please bare in mind that I am not associated with OBD Eleven in any way, and am not an expert on how this app works or it's full potential.
I am merely offering a rough guide on some basic functions based on personal experience.
Anything you do to your car is your responsibility, and I accept no blame if you do something to your car.

Now that's out the way I will try to give an over view of what what this app can do.
OBD Eleven is a mobile based app that can run diagnostic checks, clear fault codes, log live data and do some coding. It is a very cheap and portable version of VCDS, although I expect it has limitations that VCDS does not have, but most people should be able to manage with this app to do what they need.
Your device will need to be connected to the internet via WiFi or mobile data for most of the features to operate.

Upon opening the app you will be greeted by the home screen.
This consists of the 'Garage' at the top half of the screen, and a circle with the word 'Connect' at the bottom half of the screen.
Clicking on the Garage will bring up a list of the vehicles you have added. If you have more than one VAG car in your household you can add these cars to your garage by pressing the '+' symbol at the bottom of the page.
You will then need to add the vehicle VIN and the app will identify the make and model automatically.
Selecting the 'Connect' button will start the process of the app connecting to the OBD port via the OBD Eleven dongle. This app will not work with other OBD Dongles! Ensure your ignition is on (but not engine running).
Once connected the 'Connect' option will be replaced by 'Scan'. Pressing this start a scan of all the modules your vehicle has fitted, and list any recognised modules at fault by their number with a red ring around them.

Fault reading and clearing:
If you detect any faults, I would advise to use the email function at the top right of the screen in order to send yourself a copy of the faults for further investigation if required.
You can then check these faults individually if you need to, or press and hold the 'clear' icon to erase all codes, although any codes that re-occur will return straight away.
To check them straight away, press the blue icon with the 3 lines and you can then select each module individually and select 'faults' from the options. At this point you will get a link to search the fault code using Google. Handy if you need to diagnose a problem there and then.

Data Logging:
If you have a suspected problem with your car, or want to monitor how it's behaving, you can do that with this app.
To start a data log, you need to know what data block ID you need for the specific data you need to log.
As an example, I will give a guide on how to log your Boost specified vs Boost actual.
In order to do this, you need to make sure you have connected to the car.
Once connected, press the blue icon with the 3 lines. You will now see a list of modules available.
Block 01 is for engine, so press that.
You will now be shown a list of options: Info, Faults, Live data, Long coding, adaptation, Basic settings, Output test, Security access, Change service, Readness, History and Backup.
Select 'Live Data' and you will then be asked for a value. Just enter number 1 as it is irrelevant for now.
Now at the top right corner of the screen is an icon for a line graph. Press that.
Now we add the values that we want to log. VCDS Block ID's directly translate across to this app, so you can go and search for them if you know what to look for. In this example we want block 01 and block 115.
Select measurement 01 from the drop down screen and then select value> RPM and press OK.
Now select value again, scroll to 115 and select it. Now select value> Boost specified and press OK.
Now repeat above, but this time 115 is missing and will read 'Boost pressure control'. Select this and then value> Boost pressure Actual, and then OK.
You will now have all 3 blocks ready to read live data from.
At this point nothing will display in the graph at the top half of the screen until you press the green 'Play' symbol, and this will start the live data recording. When you are driving and ready to log the live data, press that icon and proceed to drive as necessary to capture the info. When you have completed the drive then press the red 'Stop' icon and it will no longer log unnecessary data.
You will now be given a blue 'Save' icon which you should press. You can then title the log as you need to, for example 'Boost specified vs Actual' so you can identify it easily later on.
At the top of the screen you will now see an 'email' icon. Press that and you can send the log via email or other means to wherever you need to. I usually email it to myself.
The graph is now visible with the live data displayed, but it only gives a rough overview of how things look. Picking exact points and analysing data accurately isn't really possible which is why it's best to email it to yourself.
If you have saved it, but forgotten to email it to yourself, so not worry.
Go to 'Garage', select the car you have logged and press 'charts' and the data will be available to view or forward on.

'Coding'
In the app you have the option to code your vehicle. This should only be done if you are 100% sure that you know what you are doing. I am not familiar with doing this and will not be advising on how to do it.
However, there are some ready made 'coding' options available in the Garage section, under 'Apps'.
If you have a Pro version you do not need credits. If you do not have the pro version, you can still use this option but you will use credits up. See below for more info on credits/
These apps are ready made adjustments that will give you option to change settings at no risk, but they are limited to a few options: Instrument cluster region, Oil service reset, Turn lights as position lights and RNS-E start screen. I have only used the oil service reset option following a home service, and it worked perfectly.

Credits:
In order to use the free version of this app, you need credits. You automatically get 1 free credit for opening the app, but only once per day.
To gain more credits, you need to select the 3 white lines on the top left corner of the home menu, and click on your icon/username.
Go to 'Wallet' and you will be given a list of all the credits you have earned. At the bottom right of the screen is a green '+' symbol. Press that and a floating window will give you the option to buy credit bundles, use a code or get a free credit. By pressing 'free credit' you will be made to watch an ad lasting 30 seconds and then gifted your free credit. You can do this a maximum of 5 times a day, meaning you can earn 6 free credits everyday if you can tolerate the adverts.

There is so much more you can do with this app, and as long as you do a it of research on what you need to look at or log, you should be able to fault find most common problems without the expense and inconvenience of a laptop and VCDS cable.
Please let me know below if this is helpful or if you need more guidance on logging more data and I will do my best.

Reactions: ch1z64, dp_motley and leshkin
Here is a video someone else made to show how to realign the throttle body using the app.
I have tried this and can confirm it works.

So am i getting this right i download App basic or Pro then after that if i want the use off the app i need to buy a Dongle to fit into my port on the car and then i need to pair my phone to the OBD dongle and everytime i want to do a diagnostic i pay by credits .

So am i getting this right i download App basic or Pro then after that if i want the use off the app i need to buy a Dongle to fit into my port on the car and then i need to pair my phone to the OBD dongle and everytime i want to do a diagnostic i pay by credits .
Not quite.
You need the dongle before you can use it with the app either as Pro, or free version.
If you want to scan and clear faults, the free version can do this. I'm pretty sure you only need credits to do the coding, but as I have had Pro from the start I could be wrong.

No, credits are only required for using the 'apps'. All diagnostics functionality is available without credits. If you get the pro license you can do all the coding you want by directly working on the long coding. You need their OBD dongle too.

Taken from https://obdeleven.com/en/content/7-app-and-features

BASIC app features
  • - Automatic vehicle identification from VIN (Vehicle identification number)
  • - Read and clear diagnostic trouble codes from all control units that is installed in your car (i.e. Engine, Transmission, ABS, Airbag, Multimedia, Air conditioning, etc.)
  • - Multilanguage database
  • - Read information about control unit (i.e. Part number, Software number, Coding, etc.)
  • - Diagnostic data log sharing via email
  • - Battery status
  • - Connected cars history
  • - Gauges
  • - Engine, Equipment and Fault code lookups
  • - DIY manuals
APPS (one click functions)
  • Apps are one click functions for daily users which doesn't require any additional knowledge about vehicle programming. More than 500 different APPS are available for various vehicles. By using these functions you can simply:
  • - Perform service functions (Oil service reset, Brake pads replacement, etc.)
  • - Adjust car lights (Daytime running lights, Cornering lights, etc.)
  • - Control comfort system settings (Door autolock, Comfort window closing/opening, etc.)
  • - Activate functions after retrofits (LED license plate lights, Washer fluid level sensor, etc.)
  • - Activate cool visual features (Needle sweep, Optical parking system, etc.)
  • - Add more features (Lap timer, Multimedia engineering menu, etc.)
  • - Disable unwanted functions (Sound actor, Seatbelt warning, etc.)
  • Use OBDeleven application to check full list of supported APPS
  • Apps always uses credits even with PRO version.
PRO app features
  • These functions requires advanced knowledge about vehicle programming and are recommended for professional use.
  • - Trouble code Freeze frame
  • - Advanced control unit information
  • - Live data
  • - Charts
  • - Coding
  • - Coding II
  • - Long coding
  • - Sub control units Information
  • - Sub control units coding
  • - Gateway installation list
  • - Adaptation
  • - Long adaptation
  • - Basic settings
  • - Output test
  • - Security access
  • - Login finder
  • - Control unit reset (UDS)
  • - Diagnostic service change
  • - Control unit Backup
  • - Control unit programming history
  • - CAR programming history

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
No, credits are only required for using the 'apps'. All diagnostics functionality is available without credits. If you get the pro license you can do all the coding you want by directly working on the long coding. You need their OBD dongle too.

Taken from https://obdeleven.com/en/content/7-app-and-features

BASIC app features
  • - Automatic vehicle identification from VIN (Vehicle identification number)
  • - Read and clear diagnostic trouble codes from all control units that is installed in your car (i.e. Engine, Transmission, ABS, Airbag, Multimedia, Air conditioning, etc.)
  • - Multilanguage database
  • - Read information about control unit (i.e. Part number, Software number, Coding, etc.)
  • - Diagnostic data log sharing via email
  • - Battery status
  • - Connected cars history
  • - Gauges
  • - Engine, Equipment and Fault code lookups
  • - DIY manuals
APPS (one click functions)
  • Apps are one click functions for daily users which doesn't require any additional knowledge about vehicle programming. More than 500 different APPS are available for various vehicles. By using these functions you can simply:
  • - Perform service functions (Oil service reset, Brake pads replacement, etc.)
  • - Adjust car lights (Daytime running lights, Cornering lights, etc.)
  • - Control comfort system settings (Door autolock, Comfort window closing/opening, etc.)
  • - Activate functions after retrofits (LED license plate lights, Washer fluid level sensor, etc.)
  • - Activate cool visual features (Needle sweep, Optical parking system, etc.)
  • - Add more features (Lap timer, Multimedia engineering menu, etc.)
  • - Disable unwanted functions (Sound actor, Seatbelt warning, etc.)
  • Use OBDeleven application to check full list of supported APPS
  • Apps always uses credits even with PRO version.
PRO app features
  • These functions requires advanced knowledge about vehicle programming and are recommended for professional use.
  • - Trouble code Freeze frame
  • - Advanced control unit information
  • - Live data
  • - Charts
  • - Coding
  • - Coding II
  • - Long coding
  • - Sub control units Information
  • - Sub control units coding
  • - Gateway installation list
  • - Adaptation
  • - Long adaptation
  • - Basic settings
  • - Output test
  • - Security access
  • - Login finder
  • - Control unit reset (UDS)
  • - Diagnostic service change
  • - Control unit Backup
  • - Control unit programming history
  • - CAR programming history
Cheers beers

I have the OBDELEVEN and the PRO app on my phone. Can anyone tell me how to use it to check my oil level sensor is working correctly? Pretty sure it's not alerting me when oil is low.

pop up the hood and check oil :)
I have bought obd eleven, my main problem is that I have IOS not andorid and u cant use my RNS-e android substitute, pro version is great because u can do long coding, sadly I am still getting hang of long coding.
Main advantage is that it will tell you if you have any faulty system, my case was left side mirror heater went that, bought new one changed it and then i have cleared fault. That said its good to check for any problems on your car and fix it without doing any expensive brain storming. good value for money in my opinion.