Bargain Brakes!!

Crafty

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tcp.co.uk
So we know that S3 brakes fade when pushed...

the options seemtobe stickwith the same calipers and buy EBC/TarOx discs and pads.. although an improvement will be made this uses stock calipers..
Or spend £1300-1400 on a full monty porsche setup..

Reading "The Golf" magazine ( see www.thegolf.co.uk ) on page 74 red dot are now selling a Brembo conversion..

4 Pot calipers
Seperate bells & grooved discs ( 323mmx28mm )
Adaptor brackets ( for calipers )
Braided Hoses

£695. I reckon thats a bit of a bargain. Only problem is the calipers are yellow ( might be a choice of colour ? )

This fits A3/Golf/Leon etc. Not sure on S4 but worth a phone call (David R!).

Crafty,

I'll let you know how the track day goes. The brembo kit I have comes with Brembo pads - I had pagid blues last time I was at CC - no fade at all but the AMD discs developed serious warp!

Brembo have another kit named 'Grand Turismo' for Audi cars which features a larger brake caliper and disc setup (328*32 iirc) - these discs are two piece floating bell design but the kit is about £1300

I personally don't think the caliper is the issue with these cars - it is down to the disc design (heat dissipation), car weight and adequate cooling, as well as driving style (mine in particular /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif).

One thing i've noticed with my new brembo kit is the brakes are not much sharper than standard. I've asked around about this and apparently the standard S3 master cylinder is too small to cope with larger calipers, coupled with the EBD system!!

Yeah m/cyl size is the most important factor.. When people build rods/customs they generally look around for a master cylinder that has the right capacity for the calipers etc they are using, I think I even saw a rough formula for it once.

Next question is... Is the S4 m/cyl any bigger ? will it fit on a A3 servo ? ( and if not does a S4 m/cyl & servo fit in an A3 ? ).

[ QUOTE ]
Is the S4 m/cyl any bigger

[/ QUOTE ]

good question - i don't know.. worth investigating though. I'd expect it to be a ball-ache of a job to do also.

What does the R32 have? I've read this has the VW Phaeton brakes which are bigger.

[ QUOTE ]
simont said:

I personally don't think the caliper is the issue with these cars - it is down to the disc design (heat dissipation), car weight and adequate cooling, as well as driving style (mine in particular /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif).

[/ QUOTE ]

If so why did you buy a Brembo kit? And how'd the track day turn out?

[ QUOTE ]
simont said:

One thing i've noticed with my new brembo kit is the brakes are not much sharper than standard. I've asked around about this and apparently the standard S3 master cylinder is too small to cope with larger calipers, coupled with the EBD system!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying all big calliper upgrades are bad? or just the Grand Turismo or Movit? Brembo themselves are quoted as saying the their callipers are designed with stock master cylinder in mind. But you seem to be one of the few who's had the conversation. Could it be that the kit you've used isn't specifically designed for audi cylinder?

All replies appreciated.

I had a ride in Simons S3 and he didn't seem to have any problems whith the brakes on the 9th! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Everyone seemed suffer from brake wobble though - but no fade.